Sign in with
Your question

Two wireless connections on router, only one dropping

Last response: in Networking
June 12, 2010 9:11:20 PM

Hi, my husband and I both connect to the same router through wireless adapters. Most of the time, mine stays relatively stable, but his has been dropping constantly. We just bought a new adapter for him a week ago and still having the same problem. Computer shows a strong connection to the network but then it just drops for a few seconds before connecting again. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Anonymous
June 12, 2010 10:11:24 PM

It may simply not be handshaking.

Check TCP/IP Properties in your husband's computer..
Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

If you can access the router settings make sure that Access List -- which filters users in or out by IP address or MAC ID -- is not enabled.

You also try turning off wireless security temporarily -- if husband's computer then connects reliably, you've narrowed the issues down.

m
l
June 12, 2010 11:21:02 PM

I notice in the tcp/ip settings that there are two...IPv4 and IPv6. Both of them are checked. Should one of these be unchecked?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
June 12, 2010 11:41:36 PM

Uncheck IP v6 -- it's not in use much yet and may cause problems.
m
l
June 12, 2010 11:46:18 PM

Ok, thank you for the help. Hopefully this stuff will help. It's getting rather frustrating.
m
l
!