Sign in with
Your question

Acer aspire t180 series, video card question, geforece gtx 470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2010 8:55:27 PM

Will a EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card work with in a acer aspire t180 series motherboard?

Upgraded board to 4 gigs of ram, corsair. amd 64bit 5600+ dual core.

If vid card cannot, whats the top vid card that i can put in it, and what powersource would i need. Price no object here, just I do not wanna buy a whole new computer yet, but figured the gtx 470 i could use in my new build when i have the 2k roughly to do it lol

Eventually gonna go i7 + 24 gig ram + dual 470s with thermal case + 1200 watt psu, but will be 3 months before i can afford it, so just want something to hold me over till then, figure a vid card + psu is easy enough.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Forgot to add that I dont use the original acer case, I moved it into a thermal take alumin/steel case full tower, has top fan, dual front fans, 2 fans in the rear + side fan, so heat wont be an issue.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:10:42 PM

Welcome to the forums.

If it has a PCI-E slot then it will work. Buy the video card and the PSu now.
If you really want to buy a PSU at 1.2Kw get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . It's gold class.

I say it is too much for your system. Why not buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ? It is a lot cheaper and it will cover the power requirements over the years because of capacitor aging. It will give you head room to get your future CPU a nice overclock too.

EDIT: the only problem might be that the card will not fit inside the case. Hope you have something to cut metal at home just in case the drive bay gets in the way.
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:25:00 PM

Personally, I wouldn't reccommend putting a Fermi card in a regular case like that. These cards get hot, they need airflow. I don't know the dimensions of your case, so I can't tell you if the card will actually fit, but if I remember correctly, the GTX 470/480 are around 10-12 inches long, so measure yourself and see if that will fit.

You might also want to do some more research before you invest in this new system that you have outlined there. 24 gb of ram is overkill, by far. You are going to overspend for RAM that you are never going to use. Get 4-6, 8 at the very very most. Take the money that you would have spent on the numbers and get some higher frequency RAM that will give you some OC breathing room. Also, 1200w might be overkill for 2 470's. I think you'd be okay at 900-1000w. You might want to think about downsizing some there too, maybe find a modular 1000w instead of a budget 1200w.

Just some stuff to think about while you are making decisions.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:32:36 PM

I did not see that 24Gb of RAM..ha ha ha..
With an i7 configuration the option is to get 3-6-12 and above. The 4-8 won't work that well because the CPU needs triple channel configuration RAM for the PC to be at best performance.

A good 1600Mhz cl7 triple channel 6Gb kit should suffice the needs of a gaming PC. For video edit might want to go to 12 but that is not the case here.

The side panel has to stay off wile the card is inside that old case, that's no question about it.
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:51:37 PM

thanks for the quick responeses! mainly just wanted to make sure i could use it on the acer aspire mainboard i have currently. My future comp is 3 mo+ away so will have plenty of time to decide on that.

Here is my current case I'm using
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/xasercase/xaser3/v2000a.h...

suppose to be able to fit even extended atx, so hoping the card should fit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:01:48 PM

Easiest way, the card is 9.5 inches long. Measure the distance from the expansion slots to the hard drive cage and see if the card fits. The power connectors are on the side of the video card so you do not need to have a lot of clearance from the video card to the hard drive cage.
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:09:50 PM

got about 14" from slot to hardrive area, should be gtg. Thanks again =)
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:13:12 PM

ionut19 said:
I did not see that 24Gb of RAM..ha ha ha..
With an i7 configuration the option is to get 3-6-12 and above. The 4-8 won't work that well because the CPU needs triple channel configuration RAM for the PC to be at best performance.

A good 1600Mhz cl7 triple channel 6Gb kit should suffice the needs of a gaming PC. For video edit might want to go to 12 but that is not the case here.

The side panel has to stay off wile the card is inside that old case, that's no question about it.

If you use a socket 1156 i7 then you use 2/4/8 or 2/4/6.
m
l
October 28, 2010 10:14:12 PM

talon95 said:
got about 14" from slot to hardrive area, should be gtg. Thanks again =)

You should also measure from the motherboard to the edge of the case. If you have a slim case, it still might not fit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:16:33 PM

"
If vid card cannot, whats the top vid card that i can put in it, and what powersource would i need. Price no object here, just I do not wanna buy a whole new computer yet, but figured the gtx 470 i could use in my new build when i have the 2k roughly to do it lol

Eventually gonna go i7 + 24 gig ram + dual 470s with thermal case + 1200 watt psu, but will be 3 months before i can afford it, so just want something to hold me over till then, figure a vid card + psu is easy enough. "

True, but at 2k price the x58 sounds more appealing. At list i thought he will get that. :) 
m
l
October 28, 2010 11:02:45 PM

6 1/2 almost 7 " to mb from the side.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 7:31:05 AM

Card Dimensions
4.376" H x 9.5" L
m
l
October 4, 2011 12:59:55 PM

You have a Aspire T180, so you probably know where the gfx card holder is? I can't find it anywhere on mine.
m
l
!