Sign in with
Your question

I love the way nvidia gets their 455 kicked

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2010 9:36:24 PM

Nvidia has release a new card a few weeks ago and AMD is already back for more performances, lower consommation and better price/perf ratio.

AMD has release HD 5xxx 1 year ago, Nvidia's fermi is kinda new (A few months) and needs to pass to the 5xx series already. Also note that their 3xx series was a big scam.

I've always been a nvidia fan, but recently AMD took back the wheels and I'm pretty sure there is so much more to come from them that I can't see what nvidia can do to counter them.

If they continue this way, they will need triple slot cooler (Adding more cores go ahead) ?

I'm wondering if the whole fermi structure is simply nothing more than a fail.

The only good thing nvidia has release since 8800 is the gtx 460 which is already getting it's 455 kicked ...

I'm not a AMD fan boy, I prefer Intel.
I'm not a nvidia hater, I used to love nvidia.
But this time AMD is coming back and I'm afraid nvidia won't follow.

More about : love nvidia 455 kicked

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 9:38:10 PM

abswindows7 said:
Also note that their 3xx series was a big scam.

How so?
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 9:43:06 PM

guess school is out....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:44:00 PM

Scam? more like an OEM exclusive!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:45:16 PM

abswindows7 said:
Nvidia has release a new card a few weeks ago and AMD is already back for more performances, lower consommation and better price/perf ratio.

AMD has release HD 5xxx 1 year ago, Nvidia's fermi is kinda new (A few months) and needs to pass to the 5xx series already. Also note that their 3xx series was a big scam.

I've always been a nvidia fan, but recently AMD took back the wheels and I'm pretty sure there is so much more to come from them that I can't see what nvidia can do to counter them.

If they continue this way, they will need triple slot cooler (Adding more cores go ahead) ?

I'm wondering if the whole fermi structure is simply nothing more than a fail.

The only good thing nvidia has release since 8800 is the gtx 460 which is already getting it's 455 kicked ...

I'm not a AMD fan boy, I prefer Intel.
I'm not a nvidia hater, I used to love nvidia.
But this time AMD is coming back and I'm afraid nvidia won't follow.

How so? Believe the GTX470 was a pretty big hit for Nvidia? The 260 also has to be incontention for a mention..
I believe Nvidia and AMD have priced their cards resonably well, AMD maybe getting the punch, but i wouldnt say Nv is getting its ass kicked as it were..

And also stateing that Nvidia wont follow in AMD 's footsteps in terms of AMD "coming back", what do you base this on? Facts? Random gossip? A Jack Black poster you speak to on your wall?? You base this asumption on nothing and nothing it remains. Nvidia has something up its sleeve no doubt, and i believe (in my opinion) that Fermi isnt dead and not by a long shot, Nvidia will produce something soon, 580? 360? I dunno, but hey..
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:49:31 PM

The fact that they need to introduce something new very soon is my point.
They just releashed fermi.
gt3xx is scam for the simple reason that those with gt2xx thinks that gt3xx is better.
No it's not.
So is with the new rebrandage with AMD
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:50:44 PM

ct1615 said:
guess school is out....

School isn't out. I'm out ...

Of your country.

Which is probably why there are some minor grammar mistakes.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:52:26 PM

abswindows7 said:
School isn't out. I'm out ...

Of your country.

Which is probably why there are some minor grammar mistakes.

Your totally awesome
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:52:51 PM

And GTX 470 was a big hit. It's no more and it has been out for what ? 2-3 month ? 5870 is still a reference and it has been out for about a year now.

I hope you see my point here, as I said, I'm very happy nvidia is there and I hope they stay, I'm just saying AMD have some fun sending new cards while nvidia has hard time creating something new/better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:54:03 PM

What's with rebranding nowadays with AMD and nVidia?
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:55:51 PM

Well, it started with 8800/9800/gts 250
then gt2xx /gt3xx
and now ati

6850/6870 is now mid range instead of the 5xxx series where 58xx was high end and 57xx mid range.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:56:56 PM

Yeah I know...but it sucks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 9:57:16 PM

abswindows7 said:
And GTX 470 was a big hit. It's no more and it has been out for what ? 2-3 month ? 5870 is still a reference and it has been out for about a year now.

I hope you see my point here, as I said, I'm very happy nvidia is there and I hope they stay, I'm just saying AMD have some fun sending new cards while nvidia has hard time creating something new/better.

Do you expect AMD and Nvidia to release cards at the exact same? Their is no logically business sense in that at all.. Nvidia isnt getting its ass kicked at all, this is ridiculous!

Nvidia have got people employeed in this segment of their business to scoure the market and find the best time to launch their next GPU.. All cause they dont "keep up" with AMD doesnt mean jack poo my friend..
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:03:11 PM

Finally, a lighthearted AMD vs. Nvidia discussion.

I am glad to have the fastest GPU on the planet (single GPU version) Nvidia GTX 480...
Reports of Nvidia's demise are greatly exaggerated. Nvidia gained market share last quarter, hence the urgency in releasing the AMD 6000 series.

@reccy: It's "you're", as in 'you are': school is still in
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:05:05 PM

I got this poster to lick, 2 secs
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:07:16 PM

reccy said:

What bits are you going to lick? :heink:  :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:08:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Its a Black Adder poster, Rowan Atkinson... hmm i mean Cheryl Cole... :pt1cable:  :pfff: 
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:09:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:

he can go lick my hairy ass!!...I named him Billy :na: 

m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:09:15 PM

ill agree that fermi is a power hungry innefficient card, but they still have the fastest single gpu, and people are still buying the gtx470/480/460 over ati cards for certain reasons, especially for sli performance. id say they are pretty even in terms of performance, but amd/ati are ahead in terms of power efficiency vs performance and their products seem more refined. Fermi seemed like it was rushed to market to catch up and could have been refined a lot more which is what happened when the gtx460 replaced the gtx 465.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:10:25 PM

reccy said:

That's taking more like 17 seconds... Doesn't anyone listen to the Cure anymore?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:36:14 PM

It looks like ATI is back, and nVidia is down
As for nVidia releasing cards at the same time as ATI, it was they who said theyd do just that, as we all remember the woodscrews, the November release yada yada
The numbers show, yes people are still buying the 470 and 480 for some reasons, its just there isnt as many wanting CUDA cores, and more wanting 3D cores
Also, what if they didnt have CUDA cores?
Would the numbers be worse, or nVidias cards be better, and so their numbers?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:42:25 PM

CUDA cores, 3D cores and shader processors are all the same thing, they've just been renamed a few times. :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 10:50:02 PM

As ive said before, AMD has been massively succesful in 2010, atleast their GPU division. Nvidia, a whole lot less so. However, 1 good year can reverse the years of supremacy Nvidia held prior to this. AMD is dominating the battle, but the war id say is a tie. 480, overpriced hot piece of junk, 5870, better, but id take a 470 over it, 470, id take a 6870/5850 over it, which then id probably take a 460 over, and finally a 6850. 6850= best value on the market for decent-high level gaming, 460 768mb the lower end. Aside from that, AMD is atleast 4-6 months ahead of Nvidia, possibly more, and using what seem to be far more efficient architectures, atleast in a perf/mm. Granted, Nvidias fermi failiure came in part by TSMC really screwing things up, but they might not be able to handle the arch Nvidia is giving them. Overall, 5xxx was a lot more sucessful than 4xx, and 6xxx is just going to add to the lead. Nvidia will likely need a new arch, thought process, or massive price cuts to really go for gold, or stay highly competitive. That said, Nvidia is also dominating the workstation market. In the market as a whole, its about a tie, but for 2010 consumer/enthusiast GPU's, AMD really beat Nvidia. Hopefully kepler will shake things up.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 10:59:41 PM

AMD GPU marketshare declining again
October 27, 2010
The latest GPU marketshare report from Jon Peddie Research indicates Intel and NVIDIA gained marketshare in Q3 2010 at the expense of AMD. Compared to the quarter before, Intel gained 2.2 percent to 55.6 percent and NVIDIA's marketshare rose 0.5 percent to 21.2 percent, while AMD's marketshare declined 2.7 percent to 22.3 percent.

JPR says AMD has attributed its market share decline to "weakened demand and OEMs letting their GPU inventory run down to avoid being stuck with leftover processors." Some of AMD's customers switched to Nvidia products "due to real and perceived shortages in supply," the research firm adds.

Vendor Q3 2009 Q2 2010 Q3 2010
AMD 20.1% 25.0% 22.3%
Intel 53.6% 53.4% 55.6%
Nvidia 25.3% 20.7% 21.2%
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 11:02:17 PM

17seconds said:
AMD GPU marketshare declining again
October 27, 2010
The latest GPU marketshare report from Jon Peddie Research indicates Intel and NVIDIA gained marketshare in Q3 2010 at the expense of AMD. Compared to the quarter before, Intel gained 2.2 percent to 55.6 percent and NVIDIA's marketshare rose 0.5 percent to 21.2 percent, while AMD's marketshare declined 2.7 percent to 22.3 percent.

JPR says AMD has attributed its market share decline to "weakened demand and OEMs letting their GPU inventory run down to avoid being stuck with leftover processors." Some of AMD's customers switched to Nvidia products "due to real and perceived shortages in supply," the research firm adds.

Vendor Q3 2009 Q2 2010 Q3 2010
AMD 20.1% 25.0% 22.3%
Intel 53.6% 53.4% 55.6%
Nvidia 25.3% 20.7% 21.2%

Considering how bad it used to be, and AMD still has the lead, id say thats pretty good! Im sure AMD sales will also soar until Nvidia releases a bunch of new cards early next year.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 11:02:26 PM

This leads to approach
As the coming nodes seem to get harder and harder to "adjust" your arch on, using pipecleaners (see 4770), getting your next arch on a known node (possibly Cayman?), going to smaller more perf per mm, it makes sense
Now, that doesnt mean ATI/AMD cant make a large di, its just harder to do (Kudas to nVidia here)*, because of their approach, which leaves wriggle room within the same node, as well as a look ahead approach for comi9ng nodes

*typo intentional
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2010 11:20:04 PM

AMD Loses Share on Graphics Market.

Nvidia Fights Back Market Share from AMD

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/201010261801...
Quote:
Considering the fact that Nvidia managed to release award-winning GeForce GTX 460 family of graphics cards in volume last quarter and 40% of those boards are, according to some data, factory-overclocked and therefore more appealing to consumers, it is not surprising that the firm's market share increased. What may not be exactly good about the company's performance is that it still has a lot of cheap low-end products in the mix, something that affects its profit margin.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 11:21:43 PM

notty22 said:
AMD Loses Share on Graphics Market.

Nvidia Fights Back Market Share from AMD

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/201010261801...
Quote:
Considering the fact that Nvidia managed to release award-winning GeForce GTX 460 family of graphics cards in volume last quarter and 40% of those boards are, according to some data, factory-overclocked and therefore more appealing to consumers, it is not surprising that the firm's market share increased. What may not be exactly good about the company's performance is that it still has a lot of cheap low-end products in the mix, something that affects its profit margin.

How many times do people have to link this, we know, but you have to be losing to fight back and gain ground!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 11:33:28 PM

And cheap and low end has been bad for them on many fronts
First, theyre becoming extinct, second, theyve underperformed
This is what Ive been saying all along, the low end is ending, effecting nVidias numbers, long term, forever
Theyve bounced back, as theyve come in with an excellent card, but one thats very costly, and xbits doesnt know its effects (460s margins) on the overall numbers, and could be mistakenly placing them on the low end cards
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2010 11:35:54 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
And cheap and low end has been bad for them on many fronts
First, theyre becoming extinct, second, theyve underperformed
This is what Ive been saying all along, the low end is ending, effecting nVidias numbers, long term, forever
Theyve bounced back, as theyve come in with an excellent card, but one thats very costly, and xbits doesnt know its effects (460s margins) on the overall numbers, and could be mistakenly placing them on the low end cards

I think IGP can only go so far before it starts to advance at the same pace dedicated do. It might make it into around a $100 market, but past that, i think it wont kill the low end any further.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 12:13:08 AM

The thruput has alot to gain from, and BW is abysmal
If they figure these out, it could do real well, to a point
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 12:32:07 AM

You know, this whole time i thought someone mentioned the GTS 455 :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 3:48:00 AM

*sigh* Why don't we just stop talking about all this AMD vs ATI cr@p and just spend more time talking about some thing like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-hydralog...
Manufacture agnosticism FTW!

I don't care who makes the card as long as I can use it and offers good value.
m
l
October 29, 2010 3:58:46 AM

I'm not impressed at all with that hydra logic or whatever the name is xD
I see the point but having a driver to work correctly these days is already hard, no need to shuffle the cards together, I'd rather go mono or dual same gpu instead.

Even with dual, there is a lot of problem/compatibility issue.
Going for the fastest single gpu is expensive but it worth it.
Or h5970/gtx295 which less buggy because they are on the same pcb.

May be my title was flaming a little, nvidia just have good competition now and they better improve to impress us like they did with that 295.
3D and cuda appart, I would take a 5870 instead of a 480.
480 is just a power hungry beast.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 8:34:28 AM

abswindows7 said:
I'm not impressed at all with that hydra logic or whatever the name is xD
I see the point but having a driver to work correctly these days is already hard, no need to shuffle the cards together, I'd rather go mono or dual same gpu instead.

Even with dual, there is a lot of problem/compatibility issue.
Going for the fastest single gpu is expensive but it worth it.
Or h5970/gtx295 which less buggy because they are on the same pcb.

May be my title was flaming a little, nvidia just have good competition now and they better improve to impress us like they did with that 295.
3D and cuda appart, I would take a 5870 instead of a 480.
480 is just a power hungry beast.

I agree. However i love MSI, and i think this will pay off. Eventually it will get as good. They were the first, so they will know how to handle it better latter on. Who doesnt want the ability to have both companies? :lol: 
m
l
October 29, 2010 5:33:32 PM

I would like to have a gtx 480+5870 but it just doesn't worth it.

It doesn't scale well and there must be so many bugs ...

Althougth the technology is nice, it will probably be useful for a lot of people who doesn't want to sell their radeon and wants physics.

Msi is getting better and better.
Their graphics cards have nice rad on them.
Their motherboard are about the same level of gigabyte/asus, and way over biostar/foxconn/jet way/ecs etc...

And I love msi afterburner :)  It just rocks !
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
October 29, 2010 9:02:04 PM

ares1214 said:
You know, this whole time i thought someone mentioned the GTS 455 :lol: 

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that Fudzilla link you posted earlier, Ares.

"Nvidia driver lists new cards
GTX 580, GTS 455 and GT 555M
Let's keep it brief and with as much speculation as possible. Expreview has found several new cards listed in Nvidia's 261.00 driver.

As expected, the GTX 580 is one of them and we're guessing you know by now that it's a high-end board slated to replace the largely unsuccessful GTX 480.

The GTS 455 was first mentioned a few months ago. We don't much about it and although it sounds like an improved GTS 450, which is based on the GF106 core, rumour has it that the GTS 455 is actually based on a somewhat crippled GF104. If this is the case, it might be a rather interesting mainstream card."
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20682-nvidia-driv...

m
l
October 29, 2010 9:10:51 PM

As I said above, I enjoy nvidia's competition bringing price down :) 
As with amd and intel :) 

The main subject of this thread was about nvidia's way of doing buisness.
Rebrandage, unefficient card (power consommation), heat problem.
I would go for a gtx 480 if I had a water cooling system thought.

Still, I can't wait to see new cards from ATI (aka 69xx) and the new gtx 580 !
I hope they are not planning on releasing a 480x2 xD Prepare your fridge haha
m
l
!