Opening NEF files AGAIN

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 23, 2005 8:21:11 PM

Well I downloaded ALL the patches and plugins and I'm still getting
zilch...even the "Picture Perfect" software says "error" when I hit
"edit" on the raw files.
I have dl'd "Elements' and will give that a shot.

More about : opening nef files

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:57:08 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:21:11 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Nancy C Kenfield
<tremont600@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Well I downloaded ALL the patches and plugins and I'm still getting
>zilch...even the "Picture Perfect" software says "error" when I hit
>"edit" on the raw files.
>I have dl'd "Elements' and will give that a shot.

All the patches and plugins to what? Sounds like you have created a
conflict with too many programs installed in a particular order. I missed
what you are trying to use, but just installing another program doesn't
seem to be the best solution.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 23, 2005 9:57:09 PM

A thread has been running on this, I just changed the subject line. The
new Nikon software has been making "issues" with opening the NEF files.
I finally downloaded the right plug-in and am up and running. I had
some great shots I took on Dauphin Island this weekend and was entering
terminal frustration phases over not getting them to open.
There are several posts on this subject if you want to read them.
thanks anyway, by the way, for your suggestions.

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:21:11 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Nancy C Kenfield
> <tremont600@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>Well I downloaded ALL the patches and plugins and I'm still getting
>>zilch...even the "Picture Perfect" software says "error" when I hit
>>"edit" on the raw files.
>>I have dl'd "Elements' and will give that a shot.
>

> All the patches and plugins to what? Sounds like you have created a
> conflict with too many programs installed in a particular order. I missed
> what you are trying to use, but just installing another program doesn't
> seem to be the best solution.
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Related resources
January 23, 2005 11:39:37 PM

Ack, why even respond if you don't say what program or the solution?

For photoshop, the nikon softwares install up to two bunk plugins so you
need to go to the Program Files/Adobe folder & search for & delete:
Nikon NEF Plugin.8Bi & maybe Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi then maybe need to
download the adobe plug-in Camera_Raw_2_4_beta.zip at
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftp...;

Also Irfanview has a new plugin (though it's darn slow).

Nancy C Kenfield wrote:

> A thread has been running on this, I just changed the subject line. The
> new Nikon software has been making "issues" with opening the NEF files.
> I finally downloaded the right plug-in and am up and running. I had
> some great shots I took on Dauphin Island this weekend and was entering
> terminal frustration phases over not getting them to open.
> There are several posts on this subject if you want to read them.
> thanks anyway, by the way, for your suggestions.
>

> Ed Ruf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:21:11 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Nancy C Kenfield
>> <tremont600@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Well I downloaded ALL the patches and plugins and I'm still getting
>>> zilch...even the "Picture Perfect" software says "error" when I hit
>>> "edit" on the raw files.
>>> I have dl'd "Elements' and will give that a shot.
>>

>> All the patches and plugins to what? Sounds like you have created a
>> conflict with too many programs installed in a particular order. I
>> missed
>> what you are trying to use, but just installing another program doesn't
>> seem to be the best solution.
>> ----------
>> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>> See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
>> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:10:44 AM

Did YOU bother to read the sentences that go "I finally downloaded the right
plugin and am up and running" and "Thanks"

On 1/23/05 10:39 PM, in article 4_adnfeMo_WW4WncRVn-qQ@speakeasy.net, "paul"
<paul@not.net> wrote:

> Ack, why even respond if you don't say what program or the solution?
>
> For photoshop, the nikon softwares install up to two bunk plugins so you
> need to go to the Program Files/Adobe folder & search for & delete:
> Nikon NEF Plugin.8Bi & maybe Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi then maybe need to
> download the adobe plug-in Camera_Raw_2_4_beta.zip at
> <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftp...;
>
> Also Irfanview has a new plugin (though it's darn slow).
>

> Nancy C Kenfield wrote:
>
>> A thread has been running on this, I just changed the subject line. The
>> new Nikon software has been making "issues" with opening the NEF files.
>> I finally downloaded the right plug-in and am up and running. I had
>> some great shots I took on Dauphin Island this weekend and was entering
>> terminal frustration phases over not getting them to open.
>> There are several posts on this subject if you want to read them.
>> thanks anyway, by the way, for your suggestions.

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:49:34 AM

BTW, in case anyone was wondering - if you download the updated
"PictureProgram" from Nikon support (there is one for each major OS
platform) this seems to fix the situation.
A word about Macs: I run G4 on my laptop and G5 on my "Tower" and I SWEAR G4
is MUCH better. I wish Mac had just quit while they were ahead here! I
have mucho less probs generally with G4. Go figure. Anybody else out there
noticing that?

On 1/24/05 7:10 AM, in article BE1A4FF4.5BD7%tremont600@bellsouth.net, "nck"
<tremont600@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Did YOU bother to read the sentences that go "I finally downloaded the right
> plugin and am up and running" and "Thanks"
>
> On 1/23/05 10:39 PM, in article 4_adnfeMo_WW4WncRVn-qQ@speakeasy.net, "paul"
> <paul@not.net> wrote:
>
>> Ack, why even respond if you don't say what program or the solution?
>>
>> For photoshop, the nikon softwares install up to two bunk plugins so you
>> need to go to the Program Files/Adobe folder & search for & delete:
>> Nikon NEF Plugin.8Bi & maybe Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi then maybe need to
>> download the adobe plug-in Camera_Raw_2_4_beta.zip at
>> <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftp...;
>>
>> Also Irfanview has a new plugin (though it's darn slow).
>>

>> Nancy C Kenfield wrote:
>>
>>> A thread has been running on this, I just changed the subject line. The
>>> new Nikon software has been making "issues" with opening the NEF files.
>>> I finally downloaded the right plug-in and am up and running. I had
>>> some great shots I took on Dauphin Island this weekend and was entering
>>> terminal frustration phases over not getting them to open.
>>> There are several posts on this subject if you want to read them.
>>> thanks anyway, by the way, for your suggestions.

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:25:40 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:49:34 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Nancy C Kenfield
<tremont600@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>BTW, in case anyone was wondering - if you download the updated
>"PictureProgram" from Nikon support (there is one for each major OS
>platform) this seems to fix the situation.

FWIW, I much prefer NikonView if you are choosing between the free software
packages available. The PP interface is the pits, imo.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at