Sign in with
Your question

Building First PC, Need Advice And Help

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2010 3:26:58 AM

During the past few days I've been doing tons of research on how to build a PC. I'll probably need a few more weeks of tons of additional research to get a really good understanding on what it takes to build a PC. Nothing beats practice, but with limited, but not extremely limited resources, I would like to be very prepared.

I know the main components of a PC and have a list of exactly which ones I'd like to add to my own custom built. Here is the list:

-Motherboard - Asus P7H55-M LX Motherboard

-Processor - Intel Core i5-650 Clarkdale

-Power supply - Ultra LSP550 550-Watt

-Computer Case- NZXT M59-001BK M59

-Heat sink - Ultra U12-40602 X-Wind 120mm

-Memory - Patriot PGV34G1333ELK Sector 5 4GB

-Hard Drive - Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

-DVD Drive -Sony Optiarc DDU1681S-0B 18x

-Video Card -XFX HD435XUAH2 Radeon HD 4350

-OS -Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

It all totals about $630. Taxes, monitor, keyboard, mouse and shipping not included. Estimated total would be around $800. With all this said my question is would my custom built $800 PC be worth more than an $800 big brand PC? I'll do some comparing. It all started with my frustration of having a really outdated XPS 400 and not being able to upgrade the processor and other main components. I know that the best I could do was another Pentium D processor and that simply was not good enough for me. I thought about replacing the motherboard also but have so far read that this would be a waste of time and money. I would really appreciate any feedback I can get from you guys, thanks in advance.

More about : building advice

December 28, 2010 4:30:15 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Buwish
December 28, 2010 4:35:53 AM

Yeah I think you could do a lot better with an AMD build. If you are going i5, I would say stick to the 750 or 760. If thats out of your budget, the Phenom II 955 is great. Also, that PSU is junk. Stick to brand names like Corsair, Antec, etc.
Related resources
December 28, 2010 4:36:58 AM

Oh and that GPU is oooooooooooold. Save money on mobo and CPU by going AMD and get a GTX 460 or AMD 6000 series.
December 28, 2010 5:15:46 AM

Thanks goatsword,

I think I will change my choice of PSU. I've been looking at Corsair and they look affrordable and durable.

As for the CPU, I would really like to stick to the Core i5 duo. I'm not entirely sure but in terms of performance I think it is right behind the AMD Phenom II X4 B45 quad core (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html ). I've looked at some of the Dell's and, in terms of performance are at least a hundred dollars more expensive than what I've put together. I really do not want to buy big brand any more. They all milk you for your money and tell you to buy their next product.
!