Computer boot problem

jr72

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hey all,

I built my first computer back in March 2011, so I'm relatively new to the troubleshooting process. When I press the power switch on my computer, all the fans in my case spin for a fraction of a second then stop (including cpu,gpu and psu), and my computer doesn't turn on. I've researched this problem online and have seen many like it, but still no solutions. Here's what I've done so far:

1. I checked the case power switch to make sure its not stuck and the pins connecting it to the mb (the mb actually has a power switch on it and the problem persists).

2. I shorted the psu with just the case fans/optical drive connected and it works fine. I've disconnected everything from the computer except for the psu/mb/case fans to see if it powers on, no good.

3. I inspected the mb capacitors for leaks or anything else that seems strange. My mb has a built in speaker for troubleshooting but nothing comes up.

4. Strangely enough, when I take out all components in the case including mb and then put them all back in, the computer boots and works fine, but come the following day it has the same problem.

From what I've researched I think its either the psu or the mb, some people say it could be a short but there are no loose screws and all of my wires are sleeved. I have a friend who might lend me his psu to check out the main components.

Here are all of my components:

Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 2gb 1333 (x4)
Main HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB
Case: Thermaltake element v full tower
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B

I would really appreciate any help on this topic, its so frustrating!

Azza isn't a very good brand; you may have a short in one of your power supply wires. Sometimes they don't show up until you connect the wires to the board. I had a kinked power cord recently that was causing my monitor to display intermittantly until I replaced it.

jr72

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I'll definitely check it out tomorrow with my friend's psu. Any suggestions for a new one if its the case? I'm pretty sure corsair sells reliable ones