Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What cpu to choose under my budget?

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2011 3:23:01 PM

Hey guys, i need some help. I was initially going to make this awesome gaming computer with a gtx 580 or something.

But then i was like, hmm, i got a god damn ps3, why do i need a super ultra gaming ps3. And i dont even like gaming on pc. So i settled down for a gts 450, which im sure in 4 months (when im buying the parts) the gts 450 will be cheaper hopefully.

so my main features that i want in a pc is ULTRA FAST, no lag or anything, quick boot up, and a big screen.

so i settled down for 4 gb ddr3 1333mhz ram (do i need anymore, doubt it) for about 30 quid
a 21.5 inch full HD monitor for about 100 quid
GTS 450 for, well now its around 90 quid im guessing, so im hoping it goes down soon :)  (if you can reccomend something similar or better for a lower price, go ahead)
Getting a 500 watt corsair psu for about 45 quid
MOBO for about 40 quid

thats the main bits, but im wondering what CPU to get. Just so you know, my budget for the WHOLE thing is about 450 - 500 quid. I would like to spend around 100 quid or less. Dont say "oh get this intel i7 2600K, its only, what, 200 - 300 pounds over your budget, its nothing, would you rather have an amazing computer or have a crappy slow one".

Thanks, i just need some advice on cpu. The only good cheap one i can find is the amd phenom ii x4 955 (do you think the price for this will go down in around 4 months as the bulldozer release date catches up?)

More about : cpu choose budget

March 22, 2011 3:54:48 PM

Quote:
And i dont even like gaming on pc

Then what are you building the computer for?
Movies? Music? ??????
March 22, 2011 4:09:38 PM

athlon 2x4 640
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2011 4:15:15 PM

pkhamidar2com said:
Hey guys, i need some help. I was initially going to make this awesome gaming computer with a gtx 580 or something.

But then i was like, hmm, i got a god damn ps3, why do i need a super ultra gaming ps3. And i dont even like gaming on pc. So i settled down for a gts 450, which im sure in 4 months (when im buying the parts) the gts 450 will be cheaper hopefully.

so my main features that i want in a pc is ULTRA FAST, no lag or anything, quick boot up, and a big screen.

so i settled down for 4 gb ddr3 1333mhz ram (do i need anymore, doubt it) for about 30 quid
a 21.5 inch full HD monitor for about 100 quid
GTS 450 for, well now its around 90 quid im guessing, so im hoping it goes down soon :)  (if you can reccomend something similar or better for a lower price, go ahead)
Getting a 500 watt corsair psu for about 45 quid
MOBO for about 40 quid

thats the main bits, but im wondering what CPU to get. Just so you know, my budget for the WHOLE thing is about 450 - 500 quid. I would like to spend around 100 quid or less. Dont say "oh get this intel i7 2600K, its only, what, 200 - 300 pounds over your budget, its nothing, would you rather have an amazing computer or have a crappy slow one".

Thanks, i just need some advice on cpu. The only good cheap one i can find is the amd phenom ii x4 955 (do you think the price for this will go down in around 4 months as the bulldozer release date catches up?)

with a budget but decent in speed, i think the intel 1156 processors is your best choice, namely the intel i3 550, intel i5 650, intel i5 750.
these are decent cpu and very good overall performance, just choose the budget that fits you.
March 22, 2011 4:30:32 PM

Im building the computer for mainly web browsing, multitasking, maybe using a bit of photoshop, movie creating etc... Maybe music too (why not).

I basically want a decent graphics card (the 450 is good for me) but a good processor for speed. I want a quad core not dual core cus i want multitasking and speed.

I want to be able to use big programs such as dream weaver, photoshop, etc... with full speed, run several programs at once without lag, etc.. etc.. watch movies, music etc...
March 22, 2011 4:41:58 PM

i absoutely think if you wait till bulldozer comes out the prices will drop .. i've got a 965 BE and i'm waiting until bulldozer comes out to get the T1100
March 22, 2011 4:55:56 PM

i5 650 is pointless tbh.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2011 5:07:25 PM

if quadcore then the i7 1366 namely 920,930,950. faster and a multitasker cpu. though they are slower than i7 2600 but cheaper and they prove better performance,
no design flaws issues, more pcie lanes,future upgrade to 6 core compatible and more memory support means better performance overall.

those applications you will use are
Applications that need more than 16GB of ram
Applications that demand the reliability of ECC
Applications that demand special motherboard features (such as IPMI with KVM support) that aren't yet availiable on sandy bridge boards.
Applications where the workload can spread across more than four cores and there is the budget to pay for either a 980x or a dual socket rig
Application that require more than 16 lanes of fast PCIe.

so get the i7 1366 series.

March 22, 2011 5:13:38 PM

orly?
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/syste...

it says here 1 gb minimum ram. I doubt the reccomended is 16 gb. Whats ECC.

dude.... i said i dont want to spend 200 quid. I specifically said

"oh get this intel i7 2600K, its only, what, 200 - 300 pounds over your budget, its nothing, would you rather have an amazing computer or have a crappy slow one"

i dont want that.

I know your trying to help, but it agravates me more if someone just reccomends the most expensive cpu in the market because it is the best. Im looking for the best in MY PRICE RANGE.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&ds=pr&pq...

does that say 100 pounds, or does that say 200 pounds?

god damit, i swear another dude already left because people dont listen and think that 100 pounds wont make a difference to a budget.

Feel like killing something.
a c 83 à CPUs
March 22, 2011 5:32:40 PM

Honestly Llano should be out in 4 months, if your not a gamer you don't need a power hungry discrete card like the 450. Llano will be a quad core in your price range, and should offer radeon 5570 performance(more than needed for a non gamer) with it's built in graphics core. A 4 core bulldozer may also fall into your price range, and who knows what changes Intel or any other company will make between now and than.

I would how ever highly recommend you get an SSD if you want a fast lag free experience.
a c 81 à CPUs
March 22, 2011 5:38:42 PM

Need snappy performance across heavy applications such as photoshop and other video editing apps..!! You'll need an SSD for that.. You should be able to afford one as you were gearing up for a GTX 580.. As for the CPU, go for an Intel i5 2400
March 22, 2011 5:43:48 PM

^his budget is 500 pound including monitor
March 22, 2011 5:53:15 PM

and proton, thank you, the only person who has a proper IQ with some ACTUAL knowledge, and a PROPER brain on this topic forum. Someone who can actually read, and has an education for reading the post before replying.

Its like some guy saying "where do i go to find the bus station" and you replying "yeah the train station is just over there, only 200 miles further, but you will get there much faster, and it only costs you about 400 pounds more but its worth it for the speed"
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2011 6:51:49 PM

Ok since i have no idea of the prices in UK i used the first web store i found...
you can get this http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-de... + this http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-de... so you would be in your budget limit... If i were you i would save another 50 pounds and get http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-de... and http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-de... and you will get ALOT better performance.
Edit: Now i opened the google products link you posted and...
The stuff you wanna buy = 265 pounds
+ i5 2500k http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=i5+2500k&hl=... 139 punds
+ Asus mobo http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=Asus+P8P67-M... 91 pounds
= 495 pounds... Happy ? :D 
March 22, 2011 7:11:10 PM

yes but the seller rating is extremely low for the we are electricals. Lol dont forget 1 Tb HDD, and the dvd drives and sound card etc...

100 pounds for a mobo is a bit much for me. And 180 quid for a 2500 is a bit high.

I would rather get a cheaper mobo for about 40 quid or so.

will the phenom be fast enough for me to use stuff like photoshop with little lag or fast processing. will it allow me to use firefox with photoshop and several programs at once? etc.. etc..

will it play games?

i want a fast cpu, but i dont want to spend loaadddsss on it. I would say 100 pounds is my limit or so on cpus. Im sure i can find a 955 for a bit less or at 100.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2011 7:22:24 PM

Btw you wont need a 1tb ssd [who would spend 3000 $ for a freaking storage drive :D  ], you can get a 1tb HDD and a 64gb SSD in wich you will put your OS and programs/games you want to load faster.
March 22, 2011 7:35:31 PM

you gonna buy the part in 4 months? pls wait and come back later. in 4 months, new cheap next generation graphic card release, cpu from AMD, motherboard and other.

GEt SSD, 4 more GB because are doing heavy stuffs with Photoshop and editing video. If you are casual gamer, maybe get GTX 460 instead of GTS45o.
HOWEVER, just wait and don't waste time with building the part now because 4 months a lot of next gen releease.
March 22, 2011 7:38:21 PM

true true, loool. Hmm, im just going to stick with hdd 7200 rpm, ssds are way too expensive for me. And some dude on this other post i made said never underestimate how much disk space you are going to use up. so he just reccomended getting 1 tb, which isnt too expensive now.

Im going to use a 500 gb HDD external as a back up to back up important data etc... e.g. documents or just files etc...

hmm, i might just stick with that 955 and the motherboard you showed me :D 

Do you think the 450 or the 955 might bottleneck one another or something?
March 22, 2011 8:07:57 PM

pkhamidar2com
First you didn't put your request in an easy to read format.
Second you are extremely rude to people who are trying to help you out (and the language isn't driving your point home any better just makes it painful to read).
Things change a lot in 4 months; so wait and see what's what then.
Will a 955 bottleneck a 450? According to several sites from www.google.com, an Athlon II X3 455 will not bottleneck a GeForce 450, but you could check yourself before you pull the trigger.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 22, 2011 8:35:59 PM

Guys calm down a bit.
If thats the question hes asking then thats probably the one he wants to know the answer to. I can see why he is frustrated , if you answer his question im sure you will get a more polite responce.
March 22, 2011 8:58:57 PM

aljowen

If you read the initial post, it is like a classic algebra word problem full of interesting but not vital information and you have to cherry pick the 'good stuff'. While I can understand the frustration, it's not necesary to call people "Stupid Idiots" and to flagrantly throw out phrases that some find highly offensive is not needed, either.

To say "Feel like killing something" becaus someone didn't fully read your post is unnecessary.

To the OP, do you have any other questions? From what I've read an Athlon II X3 445 and GeForce 450 should work well together. Whether it will give you the ultra fast feel you want is up to your personal feel, but the benchmarks I've seen show it to be respectable.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2011 10:10:53 PM

You wont have any bottlenecking with the Phenom 955 and the 450. Im more of an intel fan and would recommend a Sandy Bridge build cuz its the best price/performance on the market right now, future proof and you will have quite better performance and timings [not to forget its easy overclocking even with stock cooling] http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=288 . This build is good and you shouldnt worry about any lag, but if you are able to safe some more $ in those 4 months and would want to play games with high graphics you should think about getting a better GPU like a 560ti because the 450 really is getting old. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/316?vs=330 . But in the end, this will be your Pc and if you are happy with it, get whatever you want :) 
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 3:43:22 AM

just buy the cheapest intel i5 quadcore, the i5 2300.
no quadcore amd at same price can match its performance.
if you still cant afford it i suggest just buy amd phenom 2 x4 965.
thats the top 2 cheapest quadcores with great performance/price ratio.
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 4:05:18 AM

The i5 750 is at the same price with the i5 2500k...
March 23, 2011 7:18:59 AM

Sorry for the rude comments but its been stressfull. I just wanted a straight answer, and got fustrated easily. But im glad i got my answer in the end :D 

So the intel i5 750 is the same price eh? Yeah i might buy the 965, and yeah the intel i5 2300 looks good but the motherboard is so expensive O_O, why is it so expensive?

thans oby20 and oc mania.

btw how do i search for sandy bridge motherboard? And do you think prices for the motherboards will drop?
a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2011 10:05:34 AM

your planning to buy in 4 months.....do you care if the computer is upgradeable? if you do, then at least wait for am3+ motherboards to come out before making your decision. if you dont care about CPU upgrades a phenom 965 or 955 will be plenty fast. If you intend to game on a 1080p resolution monitor, the gts450 will not be enough to play games smoothly at that resolution. If you do not plan to game at all, then just use integrated gfx. If you want to game at 1080p resolution, the minimum card i would reccommend would be the amd HD6850 or nvidia gtx460. but seriously, do you understand that prices, availability, new technology will arrive in 4 months and your decision will change?
March 23, 2011 3:06:24 PM

1) what do you mean by my decision will change?
2) Hmm, can i not game at 1024x1280 on a hd monitor, like when i go on the game and choose the resolution, can i not set it at 1024x1280, or 1440x900 etc.... I want a hd monitor for lots of space to use all my programs at once etc.. E.g. firefox in the bottom left corner, have some other stuff open in the other corners and sides etc... Or use two programs at once. Or just have LOADS of space, thats all.

3) What new technology is going to arrive in 4 months?
4) How much is am3+ motherboard going to be?

5) Do you think prices of intel i5, AMD phenom ii x4 965 or something, Sandy bridge motherboards go down?

6) Will the price of the gts 450 go down? If the price of the gts 450 goes down, i can spend more on a faster cpu. I will probably get the gts 450 to play games at a lower resolution.
March 23, 2011 7:41:28 PM

LOL.

anyways, yeah i would rather get a gts 450 and then save more money for an amazing cpu and lots of ram.
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2011 12:35:49 AM

amd phenom 965 is a good second option,
but you can get a cheap but better motherboard for the i5 2300,
the intel BLKD H57 motherboard, its a very cheap board compared to asus, msi, gigabyte boards, yes price of it will drop sooner or later, check it out, its a very cheap board but a better partner for the i5 2300, i always go for the intel boards and not other brands, never gave me a problem, sometimes other boards causes flaws, but never an intel to intel combination of motherboard + processor.
a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 24, 2011 12:46:15 AM

1) what do you mean by my decision will change?
2) Hmm, can i not game at 1024x1280 on a hd monitor, like when i go on the game and choose the resolution, can i not set it at 1024x1280, or 1440x900 etc.... I want a hd monitor for lots of space to use all my programs at once etc.. E.g. firefox in the bottom left corner, have some other stuff open in the other corners and sides etc... Or use two programs at once. Or just have LOADS of space, thats all. - you can game at less than the native resolution, but then you may aswell not do that and use your playstation and just stick with onboard gfx

3) What new technology is going to arrive in 4 months? [b}new amd and intel cpu's and motherboards[/b]
4) How much is am3+ motherboard going to be? you will have to wait till they are out obviously

5) Do you think prices of intel i5, AMD phenom ii x4 965 or something, Sandy bridge motherboards go down? - Absolutely, they generally go down a little at least every month or 2

6) Will the price of the gts 450 go down? If the price of the gts 450 goes down, i can spend more on a faster cpu. I will probably get the gts 450 to play games at a lower resolution.it will most likely go down yes as they are already becoming a clearance model due to ther release of the replacement gts550
March 24, 2011 7:29:12 AM

WOW GTS 550, that sounds really good!!!! how much will that be?
a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 24, 2011 10:19:21 AM

well you can get the faster gtx460 for cheaper than a gts550, so your better off with a gtx460 at this point. I know numbers are all confusing.
March 24, 2011 11:36:33 AM

I'm facing the same choices. While I don't play games very often, I want a fast computer. The best deal is a Phenom 955BE and an Asus or Gigabyt mb in your price range.
Get a SATA 3 hard drive for extra speed and not too much extra cost. I have settled on G-Skill 1600 ram that is compatible with the Asus MB I chose. It's amazingly cheap for what you get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a pretty good mb:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would think that you can get the same prices in the UK
Oops, sorry that board it more than you want to spend, I see.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 13, 2011 9:56:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!