What RAM should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarENiX

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hi, I'm planning on building my first computer but I need a little bit of help. IDK what RAM I should buy! I've narrowed it down to either the Corsair Veangeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R or the Dominator CMT16GX3M4X2133C9. Any other suggestions are welcome.

The main issue I'm having is understanding what speed rating my cpu and mb will be able to handle. I have my eyes set on the ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, it has DDR3 2133 in its description. Is that with tweaking of the bios? The cpu I'm getting is the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE.

Here is my future build so far:
Cooler Master HAF X
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX
PSU undecided (recommendations?)
Graphics undecided
RAM undecided
64bit Windows 7

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
Asus can be picky about ram. If your ram isn't on their qvl list, then you may have issues with it. Check the qvl and see what brands are listed and how fast they are. I would go for the 1600 if the price is right. I got my 16 gb for $70.
Asus can be picky about ram. If your ram isn't on their qvl list, then you may have issues with it. Check the qvl and see what brands are listed and how fast they are. I would go for the 1600 if the price is right. I got my 16 gb for $70.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.