Closed Solved

Hd 5850 to hd 6870??

sup guys, i have an hd 5850 right now with an asrock extreme3 mobo, phenom ii x4 955 be, and 4gb of ddr3 ram at 1333ghz. do you think i should upgrade to an 6870, im a bit upset because i bought my card around $280 and this one is about $240 haha. im thinking abou crossfire and the scaling on the 6870 looks very good. do you think 2 hd 6870 will be able to max out any game for at least some time??? should i crossfire my hd 5850???? should i wait for the next amd card series???

Thx any comment would be highly appreciated!!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5850 6870
  1. the 6870 is pretty much the same as the 5850 performance wise. The 6870 just adds 3D gaming, slightly better tessellation for improved DX11 performance, and a new anti-aliasing method.

I would just add a second 5850 instead of buying two more cards. In the end, the difference in performance wouldn't be that different. The 6870 seems to crossfire a little better, but not by much.
  2. If you already have a 5850 then keep it.6870 is faster but the performance difference isn't huge,so adding another 5850 is a good choice and will give you a good performance boost.
  3. Best answer
    Just my opinion:
    1) Do not upgrade your graphics card unless you will jump a couple of levels in performance. Otherwise you will be disappointed.
    2) By a big jump, I mean from a 5850 to something like a 5970, GTX480, or the upcoming 6970. I don't think the 6870 is big enough.
    3) Upgrade if you will be gaming on multiple monitors, a 2560 x 1600 monitor, or if you are having fps problems on a 1920 x 1200 monitor.
    4) Upgrade to a better single card if possible. Dual cards never scale 100%, depending on the game. Also, you do not need as strong a psu with a single card. Next year, I expect single cards to be even stronger. For three or more monitors, then a second card is necessary.
  4. geofelt said:
    Just my opinion:
    1) Do not upgrade your graphics card unless you will jump a couple of levels in performance. Otherwise you will be disappointed.
    2) By a big jump, I mean from a 5850 to something like a 5970, GTX480, or the upcoming 6970. I don't think the 6870 is big enough.
    3) Upgrade if you will be gaming on multiple monitors, a 2560 x 1600 monitor, or if you are having fps problems on a 1920 x 1200 monitor.
    4) Upgrade to a better single card if possible. Dual cards never scale 100%, depending on the game. Also, you do not need as strong a psu with a single card. Next year, I expect single cards to be even stronger. For three or more monitors, then a second card is necessary.

hey, thx for answer, look the computer parts i listed above i already bought them, but they havent come to my house yet, right now in this moment im gaming with an intel core 2 duo e7400 at 3.4ghz, 4gb of ddr2 ram , and windows vista 32 bits, with my hd 5850, and a corsair tx650w. do you think that with the new parts and win 7 64 bits i will notice a good fps increase enough for not needing to change the card?
  5. megagabobe1 said:
    hey, thx for answer, look the computer parts i listed above i already bought them, but they havent come to my house yet, right now in this moment im gaming with an intel core 2 duo e7400 at 3.4ghz, 4gb of ddr2 ram , and windows vista 32 bits, with my hd 5850, and a corsair tx650w. do you think that with the new parts and win 7 64 bits i will notice a good fps increase enough for not needing to change the card?

Sadly, I do not think you will notice any difference in FPS. Once you have a duo processor @3.0 or better, the graphics card becomes the limiting factor in most games. There are exceptions. A 4 core processor is of advantage, only if you will use 3 or more cores. Some games do, but today, they are not that common.

The time to ask questions is before you order, when it is easy to change things, not after. That said, I suggest you go ahead with the build, and see how well your 5850 performs. You will then be able to assess your needs. In the mean time, here are a couple of tests to do:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.
  6. geofelt said:
    Sadly, I do not think you will notice any difference in FPS. Once you have a duo processor @3.0 or better, the graphics card becomes the limiting factor in most games. There are exceptions. A 4 core processor is of advantage, only if you will use 3 or more cores. Some games do, but today, they are not that common.

The time to ask questions is before you order, when it is easy to change things, not after. That said, I suggest you go ahead with the build, and see how well your 5850 performs. You will then be able to assess your needs. In the mean time, here are a couple of tests to do:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

hi man, i did the test, with the overclocked cpu, the fps increased to like 70-90 fps, when i leaved the cpu at stock the fps went to like 50-70. setting the settings at maximum i could not play that smoot with the cpu at stock, with the overclocked cpu i was able to play at what i normally play. we are talking about crysis warhead.
    playing the noemal crysis at stock cpu, the fps where 20s, with the oveclocked cpu where like 35-40. and since i hace a compaq pc, i have to oc the cpu with setfsb program.
    thats why i was planning on changing the rest of the computer haha
  7. do you recommend me to just buy a cheaper not crossfire mobo and buy a better single card??? should i think in crossfire and just add another hd 5850?? should i sell my current 5850 and wait for the 6900 series card??
  8. If you worry too much about 69xx series then wait.But IMO waiting isn't good because if you wait,you can't ever buy anything,because there is always something new around the corner.
    2 5850s will give you the performance of 1 5970 which is currently the fastest card.
  9. Go ahead with what you ordered. A crossfire capable motherboard gives you options.
    Try the 5850 first.
    If your game is crysis, you need a very strong graphics solution for good FPS and lots of eye candy. For a new build, I like a good single card first. It gives you options for later. Since you have a 5850 now, a second one is a decent option. If the 6970 is good enough, you might find it attractive to market your 5850 in favor of a 6970. It might pay you to wait on that.
  10. geofelt said:
    Go ahead with what you ordered. A crossfire capable motherboard gives you options.
    Try the 5850 first.
    If your game is crysis, you need a very strong graphics solution for good FPS and lots of eye candy. For a new build, I like a good single card first. It gives you options for later. Since you have a 5850 now, a second one is a decent option. If the 6970 is good enough, you might find it attractive to market your 5850 in favor of a 6970. It might pay you to wait on that.

ill do that man, thx, i really have a cpu bottleneck, ill buy the parts, wait to see the performance of new cards, and then look if its worthed to change the card. one last question man, do you think i have to reinstall drivers when getting anew amd card if it uses the same as my current??
  11. megagabobe1 said:
    ill do that man, thx, i really have a cpu bottleneck, ill buy the parts, wait to see the performance of new cards, and then look if its worthed to change the card. one last question man, do you think i have to reinstall drivers when getting anew amd card if it uses the same as my current??

No, only reinstall drivers to update the driver, or to change from ati to nvidia.
  12. Best answer selected by megagabobe1.
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire HD Graphics