System crashes

Im Here

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hi

I wish to use four sticks of ram, each stick is 4gb. To get the computer to boot into windows, I can only populate the two furthest two slots away from the cpu If I install a stick of ram into either of the other two slots, I get a code # 45. The computer is frozen. I have tried using different ram, with the exact same error coming up. All four sticks of ram are identical. Motherboard purchase

What can I do to correct this problem.

BIOS updated to version 1.80
Windows 7-64
Intel I7 2600k
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Profrssional P67 LGA 1155

RAM
G Skill Ripjaws X
F3-17000CL 11D-8GBXL
DDR3 2133 CL11-11-11-30 1.5v
XMP PC3-17000 4GBx2

Thanks

Blair

Im Here

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
If i adjusted the RAM timings.

Would I reduce the numbers, as a group in equal increments or play with one individual number?
After each adjustment would I have to run a memtest?.

My starting point is 11-11-11-30

Thanks

Blair

Im Here

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Ok

Started out adjusting the frequency from 2133 to 1600 Mhz and increasing the DRAM voltage from 1.5v to 1.53v.

RAM slots 3 & 4 still run fine, but slots 1 and 2 still give me a err code # 45.

I swapped ram around to see if any of the four sticks were faulty, nope all are still good.

Im Here

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I'm back, again

I thought it was solved. My system crashes are once again happening. The system was running fine for two weeks after I replaced the CPU. I now have the same de-bug code come up, # 45. To get the computer running again, I had to remove RAM from slots 1 & 2

Blair

I originally asked where you got the idea to replace the CPU because I thought the chances of it being a CPU problem were pretty remote.

I will try to find some more time later where I can look more into this, right now I just have time to say that I will continue addressing this problem so you don't think you are flying solo now.

Blue Screens of Death are caused (the vast majority of the time) by three things:
1) Hard Drives
2) RAM
3) Drivers (especially video card drivers)

#1 and #3 seem unlikely and it seems pretty clear that #2 is related.

If you can put the 2 unused sticks in slots 3 and 4 and it works just fine, then the two most likely things that are the problem that remain are

1) RAM not being pushed far enough into slots 1 and 2
or
2) Bad motherboard

I find it interesting that a new CPU would even dent this problem, much less that it would cause the motherboard to work for any amount of time.

The only explanation I can think of is that somehow that extra RAM wasn't used the whole 2 weeks and the system was fine with 8GB the whole time.

I doubt a BIOS update will fix this.

The more I think about it the more I think its a bad motherboard.

Im Here

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hello

When I took the computer in for service the first time. I was told the CPU was bad, so they replaced it and the computer seemed to work. After a week or so, I found two screws in the bottom of the case, it was motherboard screws. I checked all of the other MB screws to find they were all loose as well. After i tightened them up, the computer did not seem to have any problems, so I thought. I have since taken the computer back in for service, for the same error code. I asked them to try a different MB to see if that is my problem.

Sure enough they are now ordering in a new MB.

Thanks for your help

Blair

Im Here

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Well this Christmas present is getting ready for the trash can. Finally the replacement MB has arrived and I took the computer in for repairs. After the new MB was installed, this computer is no better than it was before. Second MB and it will not post with 4 sticks of RAM. Still getting de-bug error # 45.

Intel 2600K CPU, replaced
Corsair H80 water block, replaced
ASRock Fatal1ty Motherboard, original one, replaced
ASRock Fatal1ty Motherboard, second one, replaced

How many parts will the tech department go thru, before they get it right.

Can this thread be re-posted as NOT SOLVED

db5304

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I Had this issue with my first Asrock extreme3 board with an i5 2500k, except it was the second 2 slots. The problem was there was 2 pins bent on the socket causing the system to not even post when ram was in the second 2 ddr3 slots. Pull the processor and check all of the mobo pins. Ensure the heatsink and processor are properly seated.