Sign in with
Your question

GTS 450 SLI or Single GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2010 5:49:44 AM

I asked earlier about weather i should get the GTS 450 1gb vs the GTX 460 1gb and everyone said the gtx 460 is the way to go because stream processors is one of the most important parts of a video card and the GTX 460 is more superior. I have never tried sli but i am interested, so would putting the gts 450 in sli make it just as or better then the single gtx460 in all aspects of video card qualities (would i get 2x 192 stream processors thus exceeding the 336 for the single gtx460) and would sli affect the 128 bit memory interface and match the 256 for the gtx 460.

Edit: i was wondering because it seems like sli 450 would only be like 30 dollars more then the single gtx
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 9:18:36 AM

I vote for the GTX 460 (1 GB model) since the GTS 450 SLI setup peformance is not very ahead of it.. And later, you can add another one to get performance equivalent (better actually) to a single GTX 480 at a significantly lower price.. All in all, it has a much better price to performance ratio..
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2010 12:18:36 PM

I've thought about the same setup before but you have to take more things into consideration when you're talking about price.

SLI to me means more expensive motherboard, power supply, cooling etc. So in the end I went for a single powerful card.

Also some programs/games will not support SLI.
m
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 2:28:17 PM

i think unless you're familiar with multi gpu setup you're better off go with single card system. basically you can get more performance than 1 GTX460 for GTS450 in 2 way SLI but you also have to remember not all game are multi gpu friendly. going for single more power full card is a better choice.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 10:14:54 PM

kratom420 said:
I asked earlier about weather i should get the GTS 450 1gb vs the GTX 460 1gb and everyone said the gtx 460 is the way to go because stream processors is one of the most important parts of a video card and the GTX 460 is more superior. I have never tried sli but i am interested, so would putting the gts 450 in sli make it just as or better then the single gtx460 in all aspects of video card qualities (would i get 2x 192 stream processors thus exceeding the 336 for the single gtx460) and would sli affect the 128 bit memory interface and match the 256 for the gtx 460.

Edit: i was wondering because it seems like sli 450 would only be like 30 dollars more then the single gtx

If you are going to go SLi on a budget then you really need to have a think about what kind of performance mark you are looking at achieving, if you think the performance level of SLi'd 450's will do you for a couple of years then go for it, if not then you might want to look at a GTX460 now and the possibility of adding another one later although that can bring about a whole new set of issues. As for the bit about "not all games support SLi" whilst somewhat true there are more that do than ones that don't and the one's that don't can usally be forced to use two cards via the Nvidia control panel.
m
l
!