Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriamele

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hello,

First, a little info: I have 512 mb of Ram (which, unfortunately, is RAMBus, and is not upgradeable, per the manufacturer). I also have a new Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card with 512 MB (my old GeForce croaked).

I tend to play games from Big Fish, which gives the system requirements for all of their games on the game information pages.

I've always shied away from playing any 1024 MB of RAM required games, because I knew it was twice the RAM that I have, and I'm from the old school, where RAM was added in double increments - 128+128=256, 256+256=512, etc.

I have noticed that some of the RAM requirements are showing up as 768 or 1280, and at first, I just thought the people at the website were high and adding the 0 on the end by accident. So, I was downloading some of those games, and although they're slower than 512 mb required ones, they still play.

So, here's one question: If I can actually play the 1280 mb of RAM games on my seriously old computer (circa 2003), is it also possible for me to play the 1024 mb of RAM games? (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, and I'm going to feel like a total noob, but I figured I'd better ask, just in case).

My other question is: When did the RAM increments stop being exactly double?

(I don't think the category I picked is right, but I couldn't figure out what else it would be, sorry)

Thank you :)

Solution
The memory requirements for the games are so your OS doesn't have to keep off-loading its memory to the hard drive... virtual memory. All the games will play, but you will have the delay of the memory being swapped in and out of the HDD.

RAM increments haven't changed. That's just how much memory the games require before swapping out to HDD. It's just that memory has gotten so cheap since 2003, that now we talk in increments of gigabytes instead of megabytes. The average computer today has a minimum of 4GB (4x1024MB) of DDR3 1333 MHZ memory, many have more and faster memory.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The memory requirements for the games are so your OS doesn't have to keep off-loading its memory to the hard drive... virtual memory. All the games will play, but you will have the delay of the memory being swapped in and out of the HDD.

RAM increments haven't changed. That's just how much memory the games require before swapping out to HDD. It's just that memory has gotten so cheap since 2003, that now we talk in increments of gigabytes instead of megabytes. The average computer today has a minimum of 4GB (4x1024MB) of DDR3 1333 MHZ memory, many have more and faster memory.

Solution

Myriamele

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Thank you, clutchc, that was very helpful, and I /do/ plan on getting a new computer one of these days.. although I'm not sure what I'll do with myself when I have a fast one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.