Q8300 Gigabyte G41m es2l Not working at all!

svenjamison

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Want to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read this. Recently upgraded from an E2200 dual core to a Q8300 on the above mentioned MB. Computer worked fine with the 2200, just needed more power for music recording. Dropped a Q8300 in there and the computer was noticeably slower under XP, despite resetting the bios first and using default settings. The screen would flicker in areas, letters and buttons intermittently disappearing from the screen. I ran Everest and got hardware failure messages left and right. I have also upgraded the memory to G skill DDR2, which also worked with the old CPU but not the new. I decided to take the jump to Windows 7, and with the Q8300 in there it would not even install. I am back to the 2200, which allowed a Windows 7 install no problem. Bad CPU, or are there settings in the bios I can tweak to make this thing play nice? My knowledge of changing clock settings is slim to nil, so I am at your mercy..

Thanks!!

svenjamison

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
The bios is has been updated to most current version, F9. I don't think it is a general compatibility issue as I have read that others are using this MB CPU combo successfully.