Should I upgrade my graphics card if I don't play games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elobdell

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Hey all. I've looked through the other posts and I can't find an answer that answers my question, exactly, so I thought I'd ask. I apologize if I missed the answer elsewhere.

I am experiencing the "upgrade jones". My system runs like a champ, but better is always better :) I'm trying to justify the cost of a graphics card upgrade, namely a GTX 460, and I need to know if I "REALLY" need it.
I'm currently running the following on 2 28" monitors, and I'm considering a third...eventually:

Win 7 Ult 64
8800 GTS
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD5
i5 750
8GB DDR3 1333
COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W ATX12V v2.3

I don't play games but I multi-task like crazy. At any given time I'll be running Chrome, MS Word; Outlook, Adobe Acrobat;Dreamweaver;Fireworks, Filezilla, Rhapsody desktop client, Windows Explorer, Notepad, Visual Studio 2010...All at the same time.

Will a newer graphics card add any benefit for a user like me? Or, is it overkill?

I've read that current GPUs can offload some of the work from the CPU, but not really clear as to what extent and in what environments.

Thanks all!

Solution
Probably not. An 8800 gts is more than powerful enough to run 2d apps easily. Heck, even Intel's integrated junk could probably manage that OK. Getting a fast multi-core CPU will matter most in your situation (which you already have). Although if you want to, I'm not going to stop you. I would love to have tri sli 480s even if all I play is dirt2 on a 17" screen.
About the offloading work from cpu... I don't exactly know what you mean... Are you talking about workstation-grade graphics cards? Because nvidia's Quadro and ati Firepro cards have drivers that are built to boost performance in some CAD programs and such, and in that case you would want a quadro or firepro.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Probably not. An 8800 gts is more than powerful enough to run 2d apps easily. Heck, even Intel's integrated junk could probably manage that OK. Getting a fast multi-core CPU will matter most in your situation (which you already have). Although if you want to, I'm not going to stop you. I would love to have tri sli 480s even if all I play is dirt2 on a 17" screen.
About the offloading work from cpu... I don't exactly know what you mean... Are you talking about workstation-grade graphics cards? Because nvidia's Quadro and ati Firepro cards have drivers that are built to boost performance in some CAD programs and such, and in that case you would want a quadro or firepro.

Solution

elobdell

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks jryan338. That's what I thought, but I thought I'd get some second opinions.

Re:

I keep hearing the terms "Cuda" and "Fermi" and I'm a little unclear as to what it is they offer.

Maybe I should put the money toward that 3rd monitor...or an SSD! :)

Anyone else have an opinion?

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
GPU accelleration for programs isn't very widespread at the moment. There are some professional workstation programs that will take advantage of the GPU's parallel processing power, and I think maybe some more widespread programs that accelerate their graphical aspects through the GPU (IE9 or FF maybe?), but for the most part GPU acceleration has not been widely adopted.

CUDA: Complete Unified Device Architecture. Nvidia's name for their parallel processing cores in their GPUs.

Fermi: Codename for their newest generation of NvidiaGPUs (400 series). GF100 is the techincal name for the 480/470/465, GF104 is a derivative that makes the 460, and GF106 is a derivitave that makes the 450.

I really doubt that getting a new graphics card would help you at all in multitasking. Unless those programs are lagging with your system, I would think it is more than powerful enough to run them all at the same time.

I agree. Upgrading your GPU is not going to show any performance difference based on what you seem to use your PC for. If you got into high end video/photo editing (high resolution, using software that supports GPU acceleration) then a better GPU 'could' make a difference.

Even then, the 8800 GTS would probably be fine even still.

If you really wanna spend money, NewEgg.com has an OEM Asus Blu-Ray player for $40 after coupon right now. :)

It's Out of Stock... though it was Out of Stock a couple days ago too, and then they started taking orders again. So keep an eye on it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135205&cm_re=asus_blu-ray-_-27-135-205-_-Product

elobdell

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I have noticed when I'm working with several files in Fireworks CS4 at the same time, Fireworks can choke a bit.
I think I read somewhere that Photoshop CS4+ will utilize the GPU, any word on Fireworks?

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
If you want to speed up file load times, you could spend that money on a SSD. That would help your overall app loading times and your system would boot faster too. Or if you really want an awesome pseudoSSD, the PCI express Revodrive by OCZ runs at about 500 MB/s.

Premiere CS5 uses CUDA but that's it as far as I know.
If you really feel the urge for an upgrade a solid state drive like suggested above is a good idea if you don't already have one. Perhaps a bluray burner?

elobdell

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I've looked at SSDs and I'm waiting until the $/GB comes down a bit. I'm running on VelociRaptors as it is, so I'm not in any rush.

Considering the holidays are coming, I think I'll hang on to the money and buy gifts...and, pay my heating bill :)

Thanks again!

elobdell

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

Thanks jerreece, but I already took care of the BD-ROM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.