Which processor for (i series or xeon) for gamin, 2-D and 3-D making?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I want to have a computer for gaming, and computer for making 2-D and 3-D animation and design.

Should I have one computer for gaming ,2-D design ,animation and another for 3-D animation and design?

Which processors should I pick? i7's or Xeon or i7's and Xeon?

Solution
If you have the money, I would go with an i5 2500k for gaming and a Xeon build with ECC memory (for reliability / error checking) and a Workstation card, specially if is related to your actual work. Otherwise, I would go with in i7 2600k build for a system capable of doing both but being the better gaming system.

tecmo34

Administrator
If you have the money, I would go with an i5 2500k for gaming and a Xeon build with ECC memory (for reliability / error checking) and a Workstation card, specially if is related to your actual work. Otherwise, I would go with in i7 2600k build for a system capable of doing both but being the better gaming system.

Solution

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

So go with my i7 build and my GTX570?

I still have my Dell XPS 420 with the q6600. Should I turn this into a 3D animation, design machine? Should I add a quadro card to it?

tecmo34

Administrator
I would say yes.... to both

an i7 2600K with the GTX 570 will perform nicely in gaming. Thos the Q6600 is a little out dated, it will mange as design machine with a Quadro Card. One thing I would make sure to is max your RAM out... If the Dell can handle 8GB+... do so, as that will only help your cause more.