Bios needs reset on every startup

Arska

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hello,

I have just done a clean install of Win 7 on an Acer M5100 desktop.

All was well up until the first boot. It got stuck on startup on "verifying dmi pool data...". Well, I found a solution for this and fixed it with the "BOOTREC.EXE /FIXBOOT" command after starting from the Win 7 DVD.

Now, the problem is that no devices (nvidia display card, sound, network adapter) are working in Windows unless i do a "reset to defaults" in BIOS before EVERY startup.

Whats going on ?

Arska

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
That might be an idea sure, but i'm a bit hesitant to mess with BIOS flashing. Also, Acer doesn't seem support updates for it.

Interesting thing is, that the BIOS needs a reset to defaults... Why would it change settings after startup to something other than the defaults on its own ?

The "verifying dmi pool data..." error occurred because of a hardware change to your computer or possibly a faulty hard disk. The cure is to first of all try and Enable "Reset Configuration Data" (may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS Setups) in the motherboard CMOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.) Another thing to try is to clear the CMOS memory.
The BIOS should remember the settings after you have set them, is the Battery good? A faulty power supply can cause the BIOS to not remember its settings. You should try the "reset configuration" and clearing of the CMOS memory first.

Arska

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies.

@pjmelect: There were no hardware changes, just a clean Windows install. The "verifying dmi pool data.." error apparently occurs always with this machine when upgrading to Win 7 on a clean install. Going to try your suggestions with the BIOS now.

Arska

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Cant clear CMOS memory. No pin or jumper near the battery on motherboard.

Did reset the ESCD, no improvement on the symptom.

Noticed now that if i:
1. Go to BIOS on startup, force defaults, then save&exit, works fine.
2. Go to BIOS on startup, force defaults, then save&exit, and go right back to BIOS again on next startup but don't do anything and exit, Windows doesn't recognize devices.

..if that helps at all, don't know if it's important.

I guess i might just as well reset BIOS every time i startup if there's no solution.