pcm4

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I'm putting together a new rig with this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I just remembered that my old rig has a sound card. Since I didn't buy the machine and I don't know *** about sound cards I was wondering if the card is any good, if it will work in the new machine and if it will be better than onboard sound with my not hugely expensive speakers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I believe I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Solution

Well my Audigy2-ZS came out of a P4 XP PRO build.
The full functionality of the card and software suite was supported on XP.
The EAX console allowed you to select DSP enhancements and gaming effects.
Those functions aren't supported in WIN7.
The card is better then onboard it's main audio drivers are Win7 supported.
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series driver 2.18.0017 - 9 Apr 10
This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista® and Windows XP support for Creative...
The Audigy 2 ZS will definitely sound better then the onboard chip.
I know i've already done a comparison with ALC889.
And the same speakers.
Just don't expect the Creative EAX console, mixer, to work on WIN7.
The audio drivers work fine and are Win7 from Creative's site.

pcm4

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the console and mixer you are referring to and what do they do. What does it mean if they don't work? Either way you make it sound like the card is superior to onboard, but will I be missing out on anything?

Well my Audigy2-ZS came out of a P4 XP PRO build.
The full functionality of the card and software suite was supported on XP.
The EAX console allowed you to select DSP enhancements and gaming effects.
Those functions aren't supported in WIN7.
The card is better then onboard it's main audio drivers are Win7 supported.
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series driver 2.18.0017 - 9 Apr 10
This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista® and Windows XP support for Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note
If you click all there's some other downloads available for WIN7 but nothing i use.
It's an old card era 2003.
However i can assure you the ZS does sound better then onboard = higher SNR and less THD.
try it out you really have nothing to lose!

Solution