Frames per second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap70

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hi,

Is it worth to pay a high price for a video card?
I am actually on a GTX 9800 running Crysis Wars and BBC2 both with high settings and getting 25-30 fps.
When I see cards like GT 480 getting 35-50 fps I start thinking ...
Will a GT480 reeeaaallly improve my gaming experience?

I know sounds a dumb question but we get so excited about all new cards, and tests and benchmarks that I am now wondering.

Thanks.

Solution

When you play 1st person games, do you find yourself feeling a little woozy after 30 mins or so? A lot of people do. I've known a few people who refused to play 1st person games, because they always get sick. If you do it a lot, you can become more comfortable with it, but it usually never goes away.

If you had 40-60...
If your happy with your gaming experience then why change your GPU?

A faster card like the GTX480 will mean you could increase the image quality settings which for many people will improve their gaming experience, but I guess its more of a luxury than a need.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Could SLI it if possible? Would see a difference at actually not a huge amount of a budget buster. Failing that, Could do a systemn upgrade and keep the current card as a physx card..

When you play 1st person games, do you find yourself feeling a little woozy after 30 mins or so? A lot of people do. I've known a few people who refused to play 1st person games, because they always get sick. If you do it a lot, you can become more comfortable with it, but it usually never goes away.

If you had 40-60 fps, you would not experience this.

Also, a lot of games start feeling really sluggish with the mouse when you have lower than 30-40 fps. With more frames, things start feeling a lot easier to aim.

Solution

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

I'm the exact opposite, playing 3rd person games really causes my eyes to strain and I start getting terrible headaches.
Dead space was barable, but Lost planet 2 made me quit after 30 minutes.

45fps is where I like to game at, because it feels smooth enough for me, while it also allows me to amp up settings and keep a larger resolution.

@OP A 9800 GTX is still a great card for gaming, as it can handle it's own at decent resolutions. On the other hand, even a 460 would show a gain in performance for being 220$.

Status
Not open for further replies.