Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New XFX 6850 Running Loud

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2010 5:19:22 PM

New XFX 6850 Running Loud? it seems like the fan is at 100% all the time its quite noticeable? any input is greatly appreciated

More about : xfx 6850 running loud

October 29, 2010 5:41:10 PM

I read something similar, same card. They installed either msi afterburner or some other software and noted it was at 71% at idle, they just made their own profile.
Lowed it to 40% fan speed, which made it near 50c.
What are your temps ?
Score
October 29, 2010 5:46:57 PM

yah im sitting at 73% fan speed idle

but my temps are uber ******* low lol....i have like 30C idle on my GPU and load at like 50C (it doesnt even get louder and fan doesnt go up much)

so just get like Afterburner?

Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 29, 2010 6:06:35 PM

I just read at another forum, XFX has a new bios to fix this.
Go over and register your cards and look for it.
Kill two birds with one stone.

On the issue of bios updates, there was someone in this forum arguing against the validity of issuing bios updates for video cards. But here is another example of why its necessary.
October 29, 2010 6:17:46 PM

ive never updated a cards bios before how hard is it?
Score
October 29, 2010 6:21:10 PM

I haven't either or its been a LONG time.

I'm not sure ? There are a couple ways to do it.

If your computer is not stable, then don't do it.
If it crashed or locked up in the middle of flashing bios, then chances are it would now be corrupted. Which means it won't work.

You can just live with making a fan profile, in msi afterburner.
Score
October 29, 2010 6:39:17 PM

got a link where i can get MSI afterburner or read on this bios flash?

nm on the bios flash i got that after registering my product....its a zip file
Score
October 30, 2010 1:00:26 AM

btw i got the bios flash done easily from xfx they have good support
Score
October 30, 2010 3:49:37 AM

Good the hear. How is the noise/temps now, more balanced?
Score
October 30, 2010 10:44:03 AM

yah very good

however i got some other issues ill be posting
Score
October 30, 2010 9:19:48 PM

I have same problem. Where you get the bios from?
Score
October 30, 2010 10:24:32 PM

register your product with XFX soon as you register on your product page it will tell you about a bios flash update
Score
Anonymous
November 1, 2010 2:50:56 PM

Could you help me to fix this bios step by step?
because i'm afraid i will broke it up
Score
November 2, 2010 8:55:01 AM

Quote:
Could you help me to fix this bios step by step?
because i'm afraid i will broke it up

You can see in previously indicated link of xfx registered product both the bios file and a USB file. This last one contain a ppt explaining the way to flash your bios.

Nevertheless, I'm like you a little bit anxious about modifying the bios.
Therefore, until anyone can suggest a 100% sure and easy way to fix it, I'll continue to use the MSI afterburner with two profile one at 30% fan speed and the second one at 50% to play few hours on SC2 or doing stuff on Pinnacle Studio.

My mother card is an ASUS, is there any chance Asus will soon propose a bios update for RD6xxx cards?
Score
November 2, 2010 12:35:33 PM

Is there a problem with it currently?
Score
November 2, 2010 1:13:22 PM

Just that I would rather have no issue (90% GPU speed fan) and therefore not having to implement msi afterburner.

The 6850 is very good stuff. I can play 4 hours multi 4vs4 at Starcraft2 (>50fps) ultra settings with 90 to 100% GPU occupation while keeping the GPU at 55C° with 45% fan speed.

It's just a shame that it doesn't work correctly without flashing the Bios or a fan speed software.
Score
November 2, 2010 1:26:08 PM

honestly i was terrified of the bios flash but its SOOO EASY XFX literally spoon feeds you the directions and how to do it. they even configure your USB drive for you

just goto the xfx website register your product then download the pdf manual on how to do it all and print it if you need... ITS SOO EASY

btw the only thing the pdf has wrong but its right in the readme file is the actualy flassh command is C:\flash685 not just C:\flash

though putting in the wrong command wont do nething because it will just say "file not found"

XFX made it so the flash file does EVERYTHING on its own
Score
November 2, 2010 9:39:57 PM

butch77 said:
You can see in previously indicated link of xfx registered product both the bios file and a USB file. This last one contain a ppt explaining the way to flash your bios.

Nevertheless, I'm like you a little bit anxious about modifying the bios.
Therefore, until anyone can suggest a 100% sure and easy way to fix it, I'll continue to use the MSI afterburner with two profile one at 30% fan speed and the second one at 50% to play few hours on SC2 or doing stuff on Pinnacle Studio.

My mother card is an ASUS, is there any chance Asus will soon propose a bios update for RD6xxx cards?

There's like 4000 different drivers, which one is the flash file?
Score
November 3, 2010 8:06:51 AM

Finally I've chosen to flash the VBIOS. Following the documentation provided by XFX is increadibly easy.

It is not about the drivers (catalsyt 10.xx versions for each OS), but at the very bottom of the list suggested after you've registered your card.

The zip files are called "USB FORMAT" (including the guide "XFX VBIOS UPDATE.pdf") and "HD685ZNF".
As someone previously mention it, to execute the flash under DOS you should not write "flash" as indicated but "685flash". Anyway, if any doubt write "dir" and you will see the correct name of the file.

Hope this helps.

Finally, after the flash, the fan speed is adequate in idle even if I still continue to use afrterburner to slow down the fan speed in burn.

Last but not least, the XFX 6850 is awesome!
Score
November 7, 2010 1:23:07 AM

Best answer selected by jasonp12.
Score
November 7, 2010 4:27:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!