Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia driver problem (I think)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2010 5:49:32 PM

Hi everyone, Iv joined this site in the hope that some wise person may be able to enlighten me...

After re-installing windows XP on my machine, I have got my pc set up again and running like new, except for the graphics card.

My machine is a custom build (not by me) and this is the spec.
- AMD Sempron 2300+ processor
- ASUS A7V880 motherboard
- 512MB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 64MB DDR Graphics card
- Windows XP SP2
- HP x2207h monitor

Prior to my re-installation of windows I use to run programs like world of warcraft, flight sim 2004 and windows media player perfectly fine. A little slow obviously due to the under powered pc, but never the less, fine.

Now here is my problem...

Since the reinstall, I have updated everything and installed the driver for the graphics card that came with it on the disc. However, although the gfx card is recognised by windows etc, and I can run any resolution I want, when I try to play music on media player, the visualisation seems to crash it. Initially the monitor goes black, then goes to sleep before the computer restarts. I get this same problem when trying to run the dxdiag tests, play WoW, fullscreen video etc.

I have tried numerous drivers for my gfx card, but no success. This is driving me crazy, I could obviously do without shelling out too much money (being a student), and dont see why I should need to, as it used to work perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed any light on this matter

More about : nvidia driver problem

a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 29, 2010 5:52:46 PM

" I have updated everything and installed the driver for the graphics card that came with it on the disc."

Download your drivers from the manufacturers site. Drivers that come with a card are often the very first availible with the card and have a lot of problems. Some don't work at all.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Go there, fill out the info and download them.

These are what you are looking for: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
October 29, 2010 5:54:34 PM

thanks mate, il give that a try now, might be worth mentioning though that i have actually tried the latest driver that was available for it, but that didnt work either, but hey, il try
Related resources
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 29, 2010 5:56:31 PM

One other thing that may be of importance. When was the last time you played WoW? Are you using the same internet connection?

WoW has had some graphical improvements over the years, and requires more power than before. You could just need to turn down all the settings to low as well.
October 29, 2010 5:58:51 PM

Yea, its the same internet connection, havent played for about 9 months, then since I quit, I did the re install of windows. Could it be a driver problem? or could it be something totally different?
October 29, 2010 6:00:10 PM

BTW, the website you suggested, offered me the driver that i have already tried lol. I have noticed some improvements when I turn down the hardware acceleration, but then I obv cant play any games
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 29, 2010 6:01:02 PM

Before when you played, were us playing the lastest expansion? The new expansion requires more graphical power than the previous.

Another thing that can also cause an issue, is if your card is not seated well, and not working at full bandwidth.
October 29, 2010 6:02:51 PM

Yep, it was the latest expansion too. how could i check/alter the bandwidth?
a c 80 Î Nvidia
October 29, 2010 6:23:58 PM

GPU-Z will tell you what you are running at.

You could also have some of XP's bloatware loaded (background software) that is taking away ram. You have very little ram by todays standards. If you have an anti-virus program running in the background, or what ever else you might have running, you'll run out of ram rapidly.
October 29, 2010 6:29:49 PM

Yea, I realise my RAM is very low, and I do run bullguard anti-virus, however, I used to run that fine and still have no problems before the re-install, and I cant really see much on the "add/remove programs" feature that get used that frequently. I'l run that scanner though
October 29, 2010 6:32:58 PM

everything seems to be running as it should be according to the scan, but the RAM seems to be running at a lower frequency than I expected
!