Sign in with
Your question

Video is Choppy

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2010 6:36:59 PM

Hello,
Watching video on my computer (eg YouTube 480p) is choppy. My system specs are below. I understand that YouTube uses flash and CPU, but would a new graphics card would help off-load some of the work? If so, which one do you suggest? Thanks.

GRAPHICS CARD BUDGET RANGE: < $150
USAGE: Watching videos
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X; ENERMAX EG365P-VE 350W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Abit KV8 Pro CPU AMD socket 754
1.5 GB RAM
Windows XP

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200

More about : video choppy

a c 358 U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 6:41:45 PM

Is it a specific video or all videos?

Provide a link to one that you have problems with and if I have chance at work I will play it back on my PC which as a fire breathing Intel GMA integrate graphics.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 7:54:20 PM

Flash 10.1 uses the gpu if you have at least an 8000 series nvidia or 2000 series ati card. Your cpu is holding you back, a final AGP video card upgrade would probably be your best bet.

I'm not sure if the last floating AGP video cards are from the ati 4000 series.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 29, 2010 8:10:28 PM

I had no issues with the video and my work PC is a P4 3.0GHz.

It's been a while, but I think your 1.8GHz Athlon 64 3000 is about as powerful as 2.1GHz P4; generally speaking. It may or may not be your CPU. Did you try watching the video in Internet Explorer?
m
l
October 29, 2010 8:50:24 PM

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to get the Radeon 4650.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 30, 2010 7:30:31 AM

I don't think your issue is with the video card or the CPU.

I just watch that video on my IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2002 which has a Pentium M 15.HGz CPU and a Radeon 7500. It played back fine.

The only time I experienced stuttering was when my laptop was briefly caching something to the hard drive.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 2:50:20 AM

jaguarskx said:
I don't think your issue is with the video card or the CPU.

I just watch that video on my IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2002 which has a Pentium M 15.HGz CPU and a Radeon 7500. It played back fine.

The only time I experienced stuttering was when my laptop was briefly caching something to the hard drive.

The 4650 would probably be a good last upgrade for the OP's system though.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 3:41:28 PM

amnotanoobie said:
The 4650 would probably be a good last upgrade for the OP's system though.

Why would he/she need to upgrade the video card for stuttering video?

Dauble, my suspicion is that your internet connection (too slow) is the cause of your stuttering video, but since you already ordered the HD 4650 I hope that actually fixes your problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 5:21:04 AM

jaguarskx said:
Why would he/she need to upgrade the video card for stuttering video?

Dauble, my suspicion is that your internet connection (too slow) is the cause of your stuttering video, but since you already ordered the HD 4650 I hope that actually fixes your problem.

Should the op get HD videos, the system would still be "useful". Though the op did jump the gun quite quickly in buying the card.

* Youtube did manage to add loading images when it's downloading, so I think it's possible that the op would be able to differentiate between loading and stuttering.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 8, 2010 5:30:23 AM

Its either you Internet connection or your Ram.
Your CPU is not the issue my daughters PC has one and its fine. I wouldn't like to guess how much actual Ram you have available really. 1.5GB cant be running in dual mode so thats not optimal, then taking the OS and GPU into the equation you probably have less than 1GB actually available to the system.
2GB running in dual mode would help, obviously if it is teh Internet connection then thats moot. System wise it sticks out like a sore thumb to me though.

Mactronix
m
l
November 11, 2010 9:39:24 AM

I should clarify that the video in 480p was not bad - quite watchable. However, watching carefully, I could see the video tearing/stuttering slightly from time to time. My CPU usage was running about 80%, with occasional spikes to 100% that corresponded to the playback defects. The video was well buffered accoring to the progress bar (& I have a FIOS internet connection) and I didn't think the problem was my internet bandwidth.

Having replaced the video card, the CPU usage for 480p video is now 60% with no real spikes and the video is smooth. CPU usage for 720p video is now 80% with no spikes and smooth video. The video card is much quieter than my old card to boot.

I was hoping the card would allow me to watch my 1080p videos from my camcorder. However, they ACVHD videos in a .MTS format and still don't play.

Nevertheless, I consider it a worthwhile upgrade.

m
l
!