Monitor won't connect itself to PC! (first build) (on DVI or VGA)

realworldexperience

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
My first time building a PC and everything went smooth except for when I turn it on, the PC itself is fine (very quiet and all fans working) except the monitor (LG 23in on DVI or VGA) won't have any connection with my PC.

I think it has to do with the 6 pin connectors on the GPU (its a 460gtx and has 2 set of 6pin connectors)

Do I only have to plug in 1 of the 6pin connectors? The box came with 2 and i automatically assumed i needed both. But is that the problem? I dont got another monitor to test it with but everything is brand new including the monitor. Should i test it again with VGA cable?

I really believe the problem to be the 6pin connectors on the gpu but I dont know 100%!

The monitor does turn itself on and i can shift through the menus on the monitor but it wants nothing to do with the pc. It then starts to go into power saving mode or something and turns off (or like when a computer goes standby, the monitor's lights go on and off continously)

yes m8 thats exactly what you need to do.
well you can attach 1 molex for each 6pin if your running out of connectors from the psu.
but if you have 4 spare then use em all.
if your psu has its own 6 pin connectors use them first though as they will give better power distribution from the rails.
if it only has 1 six dedicated pin on the psu then use that and use the converter to on the other gpu socket.