Sign in with
Your question

Should I go for phenom II 1090T or something else?

Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2011 5:24:23 PM

I am currently using a very old yet good system now(AMD barton 2500+ cpu), I am thinking of building a new system. Already bought some parts; xfx 4850 1B video card
Gskill 2x2GB 1600
power supply haven't bought yet, but will go for XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-CAB9) 650W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

case wise will either be antec 300, COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II or COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP

For CPU, I was thinking of the phenom II 1090T, but then I'm having second thoughts as I've heard it's only about as fast as the I5-750. Is that true? Should I wait for the next AMD CPU or get the intel i72600? I want to build something that will be good for next 6 to 8 years. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

More about : phenom 1090t

a c 105 à CPUs
March 23, 2011 5:38:33 PM

the phenom II x6 are pointless for gaming. no games utilize the extra cores, in fact faster phenom II x4 beat the slower x6. I would suggest the phenom II x5 955 and just OC. the i5 760 beats the phenom IIx6 in gaming, no clue who told you its "as fast". the i5 is flat out better. more reading info

What of the Phenom II X6? Well, games largely don’t seem to utilize more than four threads at a time. The final results suffer a little from the curious issue this processor suffers when playing F1 2010, but even when this game isn't taken into account the results are identical to a cheaper Phenom II X4. I suppose users who do a lot of media encoding and heavy threading will want to consider the AMD’s hexa-core architecture. However, from a purely gaming perspective, this CPU doesn’t have a lot to offer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

the PSU you selected is an excellent choice and will let you run the ati 4850 in crossfire. if you don't ever plan to run crossfire, i suggest you check out the new xfx 550w or antec ea500. each has more then enough power for just about any card out there plus it can save you some cash. put the extra money into a better GPU like the ati 5770 or nvidia GTX460

xfx 550w

antec ea500 on sale for $54
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 5:39:24 PM

7 to 8 years is too long..Intel would have already had its 8 generation cpu..I would wait for bulldozer and Intel to introduce the next generation..because it socket 1155 is the socket for main stream performance.

High end would come out around 2nd to 3rd quarter..
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 6:08:50 PM

ct1615 said:
the phenom II x6 are pointless for gaming. no games utilize the extra cores, in fact faster phenom II x4 beat the slower x6. I would suggest the phenom II x5 955 and just OC. the i5 760 beats the phenom IIx6 in gaming, no clue who told you its "as fast". the i5 is flat out better. more reading info

What of the Phenom II X6? Well, games largely don’t seem to utilize more than four threads at a time. The final results suffer a little from the curious issue this processor suffers when playing F1 2010, but even when this game isn't taken into account the results are identical to a cheaper Phenom II X4. I suppose users who do a lot of media encoding and heavy threading will want to consider the AMD’s hexa-core architecture. However, from a purely gaming perspective, this CPU doesn’t have a lot to offer.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/L/N/282011/original/AveragePerformance.png
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

the PSU you selected is an excellent choice and will let you run the ati 4850 in crossfire. if you don't ever plan to run crossfire, i suggest you check out the new xfx 550w or antec ea500. each has more then enough power for just about any card out there plus it can save you some cash. put the extra money into a better GPU like the ati 5770 or nvidia GTX460

xfx 550w

antec ea500 on sale for $54

I understand that games nowadays don't utilize more than four threads at a time, but perhaps in the future like 1 or 2 years from now game developers will start making games that would utilize 6 cores? I am thinking of getting the 1090t for future proof. I thought the 4850 is more powerful than the 5770, except that the 4850 can't handle dx11?
m
l
March 23, 2011 6:12:56 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
7 to 8 years is too long..Intel would have already had its 8 generation cpu..I would wait for bulldozer and Intel to introduce the next generation..because it socket 2011 is the socket for main stream performance.

High end would come out around 2nd to 3rd quarter..

is the i72600 or i72600k consider the new generation for intel?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 6:44:38 PM

princejoe18 said:
is the i72600 or i72600k consider the new generation for intel?

both are next generation.
However i have mistyped that 1155 should have been mainstream and 2011 is high end.my advice is that if you want to buy top quality you should wait a little longer for intel's high end cpu to come into the market.
m
l
March 23, 2011 7:16:52 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
both are next generation.
However i have mistyped that 1155 should have been mainstream and 2011 is high end.my advice is that if you want to buy top quality you should wait a little longer for intel's high end cpu to come into the market.

intel just released the i52500/i72600 not long ago, I wonder how long do I have to wait for them to release a new cpu so the i72600 would start dropping the price?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 7:27:52 PM

princejoe18 said:
intel just released the i52500/i72600 not long ago, I wonder how long do I have to wait for them to release a new cpu so the i72600 would start dropping the price?

due to the cost of production and methods of production stay the same..Most of the time cpu's dont go down in price..
m
l
March 23, 2011 7:37:19 PM

Quote:
yes, but you more than likely do not need that beast...
if looking at Intel then only look at the i5-2500K
and if looking at AMD then phenom ii x4 955 is all you need...

how does the i5-2500k compare to the i7 950 or i7 930?

Correct me if I am wrong, I was thinking since the phenom II 1090t doesn't cost that much more than the x4 955 and it supposed to be much more powerful, I might as well go for the 6 core? But ct1615 was saying the 6 cores perform slower than the phenom II X4 in terms of gaming and everything else, is that correct? even in terms of streaming, mulit tasking, the phenom X4 still outperform the phenom x6? I thought the more cores u have the more processing powerl u will get, right? I am kind of confused here.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 7:42:38 PM

unfortunately not always..i will try to explain
CPU speed and efficiency is like a business, the structure of business determines the efficiency of the business, if the business is too autocratic it would end up making it far too slow to move around making retrieval of information very slow etc if the business is too decentralized or democratic the business would not have a stability thus make it difficult to make decisions.
always in fact a cpu cannot be determined by its number of cores nor can a business be determined by the number of employees etc..cpu architecture is an art..
this is the best way i could explain.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 23, 2011 8:46:02 PM

princejoe18 said:
I understand that games nowadays don't utilize more than four threads at a time, but perhaps in the future like 1 or 2 years from now game developers will start making games that would utilize 6 cores? I am thinking of getting the 1090t for future proof. I thought the 4850 is more powerful than the 5770, except that the 4850 can't handle dx11?

no they won't. developers aim to sell games across multi-pc and multi platform. there isn't a game out there other then GTA IV that really needs a quad core (look at he SB i3 spes, they run circles around the phenom II x4-6). GTA IV is a poorly coded game, cheap console port. in 1-2 years quads will be just fine until a good amount of PC out there have 6+ cores and new consoles come out. both sony and microsoft stated no new consoles until 2013 at the earliest (don't hold your breathe) and dual cores still make up half of all gaming PC. by the time you actually do need six cores, there will be much better CPUs to choose from then gimmicky phenom II x6. its like the people who replaced their E8400 with Q6600 and the gimmicky Phenom I (look 4 cheap cores!) only to watch their FPS drop while the E8400 still remains a viable gaming CPU to this day.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 23, 2011 8:51:05 PM

Quote:
I just mentioned the E8400 on another thread about gaming cpu's....
even to this day, it's a gamer..

gets my vote for the CPU hall of fame :sol: 
m
l
!