Sign in with
Your question

Computer Restarts - PSU Voltage

Last response: in Components
March 23, 2011 5:57:19 PM

Hey everybody,
Every once in a while my computer will randomly restart, whether it is being used or not. I have a sneaking suspicion that the PSU is the culprit but I would like some advice before going out to buy a new one.

The 5V and 12V readings are both outside 10%. I watched my temperatures during a quick game of SC2 and nothing got too hot (the fan speed on the GPU increases when under load).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-Dekrypt
Related resources
a c 272 ) Power supply
March 23, 2011 7:02:20 PM

Everest seems to be better at guessing which voltage goes where, but its wrong on your 12V reading, your system would not be capable of running if the 12V was that low, all of your fans would spin slower, and none of the VRM systems would be able to work right. Check your voltage readings in BIOS and see what they say, or if you have a digital multimeter use that to check.

As for random restarts, the PSU wouldnt be my first suspect since it happens whether the system is being used or not, nothing changes in the PSU when its at a constant level of low load, it should only randomly restart when the load increases and it should be consistent. Do your random restarts come with blue screens?
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
March 23, 2011 7:21:16 PM

I agree that the PSU is suspect #1. That's a cheap one, and they tend to be overrated and either wander out of spec or burn as soon as the load on them goes much above 50% of what's on their label.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and is at least 80+ certified for efficiency. Antec (except Basiq under 500W), Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax are among the better brands.
m
l
March 23, 2011 8:18:38 PM

Hey Guys,
Here is what I got...

From the CMOS I got this...

CPU Voltage: 1.288V
+3.30V: 3.248V
+3.3VSB: 3.296V
+5.0V: Unable to find anything referencing this in the CMOS.
+12.0V: 11.792V

In case it helps, the BIOS is American Megatrends, Inc v02.61 and the motherboard is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If the problem is the PSU I will be sure to get a name brand. I think I might have been a bit strapped for cash when I got my current one. (Though, 3 years out of a well used 30 dollar PSU aint too shabby if you ask me.)

I'll be back tonight, thanks again for all of your help!

-Dekrypt
m
l
!