Solved

Hey new to building

Story why i want to make a new computer: Ok, so i ordered a gtx460 for my gateway, doesnt fit(Fits in the x4 that has a x16 connector but not enough room for the card in the main x16). So i decided hey its about time i learn and stop overpaying for something i can try to make for cheaper.

Trying to make a nice, cheap, gaming rig with some power, that will be decent for a little while and overclockable down the line


Will this work, all from amazon

AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1 GHz 3x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor - 77.00 dollars

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - 69.99

evga gtx460 768mb i have already

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply - 69.99

Ram - not sure about that could use some help i was thinking 4gigs not sure what works with mother board ddr2?

Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX, MATX Mid Tower Case with Window RC-310-SWN1-GP (Black/Silver) 39.99

Seagate Barracuda 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST3250318AS-Bare Drive 38.00

Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata Retail 21.99


So far i added up $316.96 without the ram and since i already have a card, Seems like a sweet cheap setup, but is it compatible?

Will the video card fit? :P


Also am i missing anything i do need windows 7 also
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building
  1. Yuck. Really, just horrible.

    First, you're sticking to a stie that will overcharge you. Check out Newegg.com instead.

    Second, you're picking a board with an obsolete socket. Instead of getting an AM2+ board, head over to Newegg and pick up the ASRock 770 Extreme3 for only $5 more. It's an AM3 board with USB 3/SATA III support.

    Third, the newer board means newer RAM. Grab the Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 ($40 after rebate on Newegg).

    Finally, ditch that god awful ancient HDD. Pick up either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB ($55 on Newegg) or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB ($70 on Newegg).

    The rest is ok. The PSU you can find for cheaper on Newegg, and pick up the cheapest SATA DVD burner you can find ($16 on Newegg I think).

    EDIT: Also, you could get the faster X3 450 for $3 more: X3 450 $80.
  2. rather get an am3 board and ddr3 ram the one you chose is an older board

    something like this

    http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M4A87TD-USB3-870GX-Motherboard/dp/B003ICWAV4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293642717&sr=1-2
  3. MadAdmiral said:
    Yuck. Really, just horrible.

    First, you're sticking to a stie that will overcharge you. Check out Newegg.com instead.

    Second, you're picking a board with an obsolete socket. Instead of getting an AM2+ board, head over to Newegg and pick up the ASRock 770 Extreme3 for only $5 more. It's an AM3 board with USB 3/SATA III support.

    Third, the newer board means newer RAM. Grab the Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 ($40 after rebate on Newegg).

    Finally, ditch that god awful ancient HDD. Pick up either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB ($55 on Newegg) or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB ($70 on Newegg).

    The rest is ok. The PSU you can find for cheaper on Newegg, and pick up the cheapest SATA DVD burner you can find ($16 on Newegg I think).

    EDIT: Also, you could get the faster X3 450 for $3 more: X3 450 $80.


    not sure if newegg charges tax but i dont get tax from amazon
  4. Newegg will only charge tax in certain states (just like Amazon). It's worth checking out. I also find that, in many cases, even if Newegg charges tax, it's still cheaper. Don't forget to check out Newegg's combo deals, as they can often save a lot of money.
  5. MadAdmiral said:
    Newegg will only charge tax in certain states (just like Amazon). It's worth checking out. I also find that, in many cases, even if Newegg charges tax, it's still cheaper. Don't forget to check out Newegg's combo deals, as they can often save a lot of money.



    ok thanks will do
  6. psu 55 dollars after rebate on newegg probably makes buying it from newegg worth it.
  7. ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651&Tpk=ASUS%20M4A87TD%2fUSB3

    AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103886&cm_re=AMD_Athlon_II_X3-_-19-103-886-_-Product

    already have evga gtx460 768mb

    CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

    Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

    is my probably my final build is everything compatible?
  8. Best answer
    Looking Good to me :D
  9. seems pretty cheap also how much would something close to this cost from lets say gateway?
  10. I can't find anything that has the same balance CPU with Graphics you get a better balance when building
  11. joelmartinez said:
    I can't find anything that has the same balance CPU with Graphics you get a better balance when building


    will this harddrive work well?

    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200RPM-Internal-ST3500418AS-Bare/dp/B001VKYA5E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1293684278&sr=8-5

    or got any suggestions
  12. Yes that'll do but the samsung spinpoint f3 500gb is better the link is given by MadAdmiral it's currently out of stock :cry:
  13. joelmartinez said:
    Yes that'll do but the samsung spinpoint f3 500gb is better the link is given by MadAdmiral it's currently out of stock :cry:



    yea thats why im looking for another, also i live in NJ so i do get taxd from newegg. So im probley just gonna get that powersupply and ram from newegg. Amazon suprisely i think has equal to or lower prices then newegg for somethings.
  14. Best answer selected by Nels84.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product