Will damage occur running 9800 gtx without the pci e power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpatton

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
i got a used geforce 9800 gtx. it was installed into a machine without the additional power supplys connected and apparently the motherboard was damaged. Does that mean that the 9800 is shot as well. i want to try it out on my new asus mobo. What is the risk. I don't see any burnt connectors or smell burned board. Suggestions?

Solution
Well that was silly. the card should be ok (assuming there was nothing wrong with it in the first place). Just make sure you plug in the extra pcie connectors when you plug it in to the new board. Also make sure your PSU is not a cheap crappy one that can not supply enough power.
Well that was silly. the card should be ok (assuming there was nothing wrong with it in the first place). Just make sure you plug in the extra pcie connectors when you plug it in to the new board. Also make sure your PSU is not a cheap crappy one that can not supply enough power.

Solution

mpatton

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010

Did what you said and checked out the PS and determined that it was a Coolmax M500B that breaks down as follows:
3.3 and 5V max. - 150W
+12V1 & +12V2 max. - 350W
PCI Express Power Connector - Qty. 1

I'm running a 500Gb Green WD HD and two burners on an ASUS am2/am3 MB with a AMD X2 6000 Windsor quiet&cool, 125W max CPU and 4Gb RAM.

Is it possible to adapt one of the power supply peripheral connectors to PCI-E and still be in spec.?

Thx in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.