Set up an ftp server

apolyonn

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Greetings,

I've been trying to set up a home server for the past few days. I started by using Apache, then tried FTP, trying to tie both into DynDNS. Everything is failing. Nothing is working. Probably because I know close to nothing about setting up a server.

This is my first time and I've been at it for the last few days or so to no avail. I'm wanting to use an FTP server - specifically FireZilla. I also want to use a free dns, hence the DynDNS.

I've gone through a couple of guides on how to set up each and the guides basically make it sound like at the end, DynDNS will magically take your IP and magically host the folder/file you want hosted. It has not.

Anyways...

I just need direction, or a starting over point. If you guys need information please tell me so because i have no idea what info I'd need to give.

Thanks.

Running on XP Pro sp3

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Have patience, if this is your first time, don't expect to get it in a hour or even a day, you'll just get frustrated :)

First things first - I don't know the mechanics of DynDNS but it looks like it's meant to map a hostname to the IP of your server. Does this part work? That is, if you ping that hostname does it at least try to contact the right IP? This will most likely be your router's public IP.

By using DynDNS it looks like you're opening this server to the internet, putting your server out on the net is going to expose you to a lot of nasty stuff. It's an entry point for the bad guys into your home network. Don't want to freak you out but make sure you beef up security.