Sign in with
Your question

Bad CPU? help

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2010 3:47:03 PM

Hello, I have ran into a problem after installing a AMD Athlon ll x4 processor (940 pin) CPU into my brothers computers motherboard. Once I started up the computer the screen doesn’t display anything while the CD/DVD drive won’t open. All the fans work including the graphics card and the CPU fan. There are no beeps coming from the computer when turning it on. Is this a grounding issue, not enough power, is the CPU bad or can the motherboard not handle the quad core? I have tried different screens and let it set for a while just in case any moister was in it but still nothing. When the CD/DVD drive is open when I turn on power it closes automatically. I have installed CPU in my own computer and it works fine and have followed the instructions in the motherboards manual on how to install CPU. This darn this is driving me crazy. Thanks for Any suggestions. I used a static wrist band that hooks to the case and gloves.

Mother board: Asus SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI

Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 512

Power supply: Apevia Java 500-Watt Power Supply - SATA-Ready

More about : bad cpu

December 29, 2010 3:54:15 PM

Does your mobo support this processor? If so, did you check to see if it needs a BIOS update? Also, try clearing the CMOS.
m
l
December 29, 2010 4:41:21 PM

Yes, the CPU is compadable with the motherboard and after clearing the CMOS still nothing happened. thanks for the quick reply
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2010 8:13:53 PM

Just found out that the power supply is a 500 watt while the GPU uses 450 watt and the CPU is 125 watt. I know I’m not good with computers and this is probably a stupid question but is this the problem and if so any suggestions on a good reliable one?
m
l
December 29, 2010 8:19:40 PM

You could try booting it without the graphics card and see if it posts. Even if you don't have onboard graphics, you should hear it beep. If it does, I'd say to get a better PSU.
m
l
December 29, 2010 10:09:51 PM

Took it out but there was no beeping. Before taking out the graphics card the cd/dvd drive was working for a little while then it wouldn’t open again. I’m still trying different stuff. thanks for the help .
m
l
January 3, 2011 4:23:01 PM

It turns out that the CPU was bad. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!