Your question

CPU or mother board problem

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2011 7:22:48 PM

Hi there everybody :) 

I have just reciently constructed a new PC,to find out that it is not working.There's no post and it doesn't boot,tho all fans are spinning.
I have searched millions of forums and travelled lots of links in the web,so there's a little question left :

Will bad CPU still heat?

I mean,if the CPU is not working,will it still be heated by motherboard?

As mine CPU,doesn't heat.
As i'm trying to find out ,is it a motheboard or CPU problem.
All parts are compitable ,PSU is allright,cooler also.
The motherboard doesn't beep at all - with rams/grapchic card or not - it doesn't beep.
Motherboard has an individual LED to indicate a problem for each part (RAM,CPU,boot device ,Graphics card),it shows a red light for boot device and graphics card.
As i tryed a new graphics card,nothing changed.

So I assume that the probloem is either in CPU or the mother board itself.

The CPU doesn't heat.No Post.No boot.
Motherboard is brand new.CPU has no visual scratches or anything that may say it is broken.No possibilities to test with other mobo,only if taking it to repairs company.

CPU : Intel core i7 860
Mobo : Asus P7P55D-E Pro
RAM : 2Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz (CM3X2048-1600C9DHX)
PSU : Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W

Many thanks in advance to everyone who will post :) )

More about : cpu mother board problem

a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 7:55:58 PM

i thought booting would be possible even if the cpu was not inserted.
Wont it just enter bios screen?
my best advice is to try breadboarding..That way you can isolate the problem.
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 8:03:58 PM

From jsc:

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time. "
Related resources
March 23, 2011 8:04:22 PM

Thanks for reply,but what is "breadboarding"? :) 

It doesn't boot without CPU tho.CPU LED on motherboard flashes and everything turns off.
a c 313 V Motherboard
a c 174 à CPUs
March 23, 2011 8:04:33 PM

MazeOnTheWater said:
Hi there everybody :) 

I have just reciently constructed a new PC,to find out that it is not working.There's no post and it doesn't boot,tho all fans are spinning.
I have searched millions of forums and travelled lots of links in the web,so there's a little question left :

Will bad CPU still heat?

I mean,if the CPU is not working,will it still be heated by motherboard?

As mine CPU,doesn't heat.
As i'm trying to find out ,is it a motheboard or CPU problem.
All parts are compitable ,PSU is allright,cooler also.
The motherboard doesn't beep at all - with rams/grapchic card or not - it doesn't beep.
Motherboard has an individual LED to indicate a problem for each part (RAM,CPU,boot device ,Graphics card),it shows a red light for boot device and graphics card.
As i tryed a new graphics card,nothing changed.

So I assume that the probloem is either in CPU or the mother board itself.

The CPU doesn't heat.No Post.No boot.
Motherboard is brand new.CPU has no visual scratches or anything that may say it is broken.No possibilities to test with other mobo,only if taking it to repairs company.

CPU : Intel core i7 860
Mobo : Asus P7P55D-E Pro
RAM : 2Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz (CM3X2048-1600C9DHX)
PSU : Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W

Many thanks in advance to everyone who will post :) )

How can something that ISN'T working get hot?

95% mobo problem 5% CPU problem, RMA the mobo and wait for the replacement.
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2011 8:06:58 PM

Is everything connected?
March 23, 2011 8:07:53 PM

Thanks.Haven't read about breadboarding first,before asking the question.

hm,i think i should try that first then.

So hould i try just a PSU and a motherboard first and tryed on insulated surface without anything else ?
March 23, 2011 8:09:10 PM

kilo_17
yes,everything is connected and re-connected many times,with RAM inserted and not,with graphic card in and out.

Haven't tryed the breadboarding yet tho
March 23, 2011 8:14:02 PM

I have an old computer,pentium 4 d 3ghz,that was workin before.
As i was using the same Graphhic card ,cooler and case for both of this setups,i have taking out all from the case and used it to put it a new motherboard there.after i found out it isn't working,after few test i decided to put an old computer parts back in to that case (using an old PSU,that i always used with this set up),after several hours of work this computer stopped working.Now it has same sympthoms as a new one.
All fans are spinnning,but no boot and no post.
Have tested an old CPU (Pentium 4) on another motherboard at my friends,to find out it is working.

Difference between this two computer is that the old one,heats a processor - new one doesn't.
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 8:21:08 PM

i think you might have a graphic card problem..
March 23, 2011 8:26:23 PM

have tried a new graphic card with bouth pc's - nothing changed
March 23, 2011 9:15:39 PM

Ok,i've tried a breadboarding and the result is the same :

No beeps.
the red CPU LED flashes ones if there's no CPU and everything tunrs off.
with the CPU,video and booting divece leds are on ,red colour.
It doesn't matter if i'mm trying with ram or not,with video card or not - RAM led is never on and video card led is always on.even if I try a new video card that is 100% working.

CPU doesn't heat at all.

So,no beeps,video and boot divece leds are on,no post ,no boot,no cpu heating.

Where could a problem ?Motherboard is faulty ? bios ?

thanks for your replies guys :) 
a c 313 V Motherboard
a c 174 à CPUs
March 24, 2011 3:39:17 AM

I'm still saying the same thing:

RMA you mobo.
March 24, 2011 4:53:25 PM

SAINT19 thanks a lot for your suggestions,but i had found out today that the mobo is alright :)  the CPU is dead

Very strange.CPU has no visual marks that can say that it might be dead.but after tests with another another mobo,it stil doesn't post and doesn't heat.

My mobo worked with another processor tho.

thanks everyone for your posts here!
March 24, 2011 7:56:48 PM

Are you sure its not that old psu you are using? That's a more likely culprit than the CPU...
March 24, 2011 8:44:34 PM

majin ssj eric said:
Are you sure its not that old psu you are using? That's a more likely culprit than the CPU...

I have two psu's.one is old - 420W unknown brand
Another one is new - coolermaster Silent Pro 700W - this PSU is sertificate approved and has more then enought power.It was bought new and is 100% working :) 

I have done last test today,using not my hardware : CPU,mobo and other.

My mobo posted with the other CPU.

Using my CPU with my mobo and another mobo in repairs company ,nothing changed - there was no post.The processor even doesn't change its temperature after minutes of work - coz recieves no signal,as it is dead :) 

In fact,if anyone living in london,would need a repairs for the computer or any test help ,there's a very good place near tottenham court roud in that street full of computer shop.just on the sid streeet on the left ,there's a shop YoYo Tech.they lots' of computer gear with reasonable prices ,like any other internet retailer and they also provide repairs and computer testing.Much cheaper then many other even not so qualified companies.
thay also have a web page and a big veriety of computer components there.

this is not an add,just want to share information with everyone so they wouldn't struggle as i did.