Best current onboard chipset/or gpu for HD/Bluray

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilenglishman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hello,
I've been happily using my asus P5N7A-VM motherboard with its onboard nvidia GF9300/nForce730i chipset, but recently the board has become a bit tempremental and i think its on its way out.

I had a spare Asus P5Q-VM lying around so i thought I'd put my cpu/ram into that board and use it but of course then i need a GPU.

I looked around and ordered a HIS HD5570 silence card with 1gb of ram on, but I'm not happy with this card at all.
I appricate its passive so would become hot, but its actually so hot you cant touch it and my cpu temp has shot up to 115 degrees with it attached.
I also have issues with it not displaying 1080p correctly on my TV (yes i tried overscan etc).

also because of the huge heatsink on the card the top pci x1 slot is unusable.

so the upshot is I'm sending that card back and would like to know alternatives or recommendations.

My htpc is in an origenae s10 case, so quite low proile with no access to use riser cards.
I get the impression i would be better with onboard graphics again - for noise and heat reasons, and i was also quite happy with the nvidia set up.

I will be buying a pci x1 card for my tv tuner which will obviously need that port on a mobo.

socket 775 is preferable because thats what my current cpu is. current ram is ddr2 but i can get ddr3 if needed.

Ive no interest in gaming on it or power consumption, its purely for use with HD and bluray.

I appriciate any advice :)

evilenglishman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008

Hi thanks for this info, I do specifically need a half height card but i see there are options for a half height card, would this be a decent upgrade from the GF9300/nForce730i of my old board?

notty22

Distinguished
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.