Help needed new HD Phoenix BIOS problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 6:46:36 PM

OK I got a new shiny drive for my Toshiba 3000x4 laptop, the old (still
working) drive was a 15GB Toshiba MK1517:
http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk15...
I bought a 40GB OEM Seagate ST94811A thinking it would be compatible...
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st94811a.html
I removed the old drive, took off the metal/plastic shield on the underside
which I attached to the Seagate removed the jumper setting plug(as shown in
the site above) to set the drive as master, screwed the outer cover on and
plugged the drive in, then screwed the outer screws in place. I turned on
the system, tried to start BIOS but was too late and it said no operating
system x3 so I did Ctrl-Alt-Del then pressed F2 immediately which started
the Phoenix Bios 4 Build 6.0. It then took me to a setup screen but there
appears to be no way to get a new HD recognized. If I move the cursor down
to hard drive and floppy past date and time it just skips to quiet boot.
There don't seem to be any of the advanced settings that I am used to on my
Desktop bios so is this a BIOS for dummies is there a special code I need to
access the advanced BIOS...help!

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 11:13:33 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:46:36 -0000, "Will James" <will64637@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

[...]
:>
:>Will
:>

If that's like the US 3000 series there is also a pin adapter that you have
to remove from the pins on the old hard drive and install over the pins on
the new hard drive so it will plug into the connector on the system board.
You didn't mention that in your message but if you already did that also
then you may have received a bad drive. The US 3000 series Satellites
support a 40GB hard drive.

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 2:35:11 AM

Will James wrote:
> OK I got a new shiny drive for my Toshiba 3000x4 laptop, the old
> (still working) drive was a 15GB Toshiba MK1517:
> http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk15...
> I bought a 40GB OEM Seagate ST94811A thinking it would be
> compatible... http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st94811a.html
<snip>
> Desktop bios so is this a BIOS for dummies is there a special code I
> need to access the advanced BIOS...help!

The drive is automatically recognized, the laptop correctly reported no OS
found.

What more were you expecting?

Regards,

James
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 2:35:12 AM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:
>Will James wrote:
>> OK I got a new shiny drive for my Toshiba 3000x4 laptop

>What more were you expecting?

Umm, yeah, did you clone the old disk onto the new one?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 5:05:54 PM

I put a 60GB drive in my 3005-S303, using the adapter to which you
referred. It works fine. I do have the latest BIOS (can't recall the
number); that may make a difference.

Perce

On 02/19/05 03:13 pm me/2 tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

> If that's like the US 3000 series there is also a pin adapter that you have
> to remove from the pins on the old hard drive and install over the pins on
> the new hard drive so it will plug into the connector on the system board.
> You didn't mention that in your message but if you already did that also
> then you may have received a bad drive. The US 3000 series Satellites
> support a 40GB hard drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 6:06:33 PM

"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:46:36 -0000, "Will James" <will64637@yahoo.co.uk>
snip
> If that's like the US 3000 series there is also a pin adapter that you
have
> to remove from the pins on the old hard drive and install over the pins on
> the new hard drive so it will plug into the connector on the system board.
> You didn't mention that in your message but if you already did that also
> then you may have received a bad drive. The US 3000 series Satellites
> support a 40GB hard drive.
>
> me/2
Thanks, I didnt notice any adapters on the Toshiba drive, and the Seagate
seemed to plug in OK, does the adapter just look like a jumper, whereabouts
on the pins would it be?

a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 6:09:08 PM

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Hi Will,
>
> I thought that the Toshibas in that series auto-detected the drive.
> You should just need to partition and format it.
>
> Ciao . . . C.Joseph
Hi,
It did not auto detect the drive, it just said "no disk" and there seemed
to be no way to force it to recognise like on some other BIOSes. If I start
FDISK it says no fixed disk present...

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 6:10:06 PM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
news:p 2QRd.32545$f%5.31451@trndny03...
> Will James wrote:
> > OK I got a new shiny drive for my Toshiba 3000x4 laptop, the old
> > (still working) drive was a 15GB Toshiba MK1517:
> > http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk15...
> > I bought a 40GB OEM Seagate ST94811A thinking it would be
> > compatible... http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st94811a.html
> <snip>
> > Desktop bios so is this a BIOS for dummies is there a special code I
> > need to access the advanced BIOS...help!
>
> The drive is automatically recognized, the laptop correctly reported no OS
> found.
>
> What more were you expecting?
>
> Regards,
>
> James
the drive was not recognized that was the point of my message.========

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 6:13:56 PM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:
> >Will James wrote:
> >> OK I got a new shiny drive for my Toshiba 3000x4 laptop
>
> >What more were you expecting?
>
> Umm, yeah, did you clone the old disk onto the new one?

sorry if my first post wasn't clear enough, the problem was not that it
didnt detect an OS(I know its not there I havent installed it yet :-)) it
was that the BIOS didnt detect the drive and that the BIOS accessible by
pressing F2 doesn't seem to be a fully configurable BIOS, so I wondered if
there was an advanced BIOS that was reachable with a special Toshiba code?

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 8:19:53 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:06:33 -0000, "Will James" <will64637@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

:>"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
:>news:797f11t0tgh5tru6c4lokgtvq9b1vrv0gf@4ax.com...
:>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:46:36 -0000, "Will James" <will64637@yahoo.co.uk>
:>snip
:>> If that's like the US 3000 series there is also a pin adapter that you
:>have
:>> to remove from the pins on the old hard drive and install over the pins on
:>> the new hard drive so it will plug into the connector on the system board.
:>> You didn't mention that in your message but if you already did that also
:>> then you may have received a bad drive. The US 3000 series Satellites
:>> support a 40GB hard drive.
:>>
:>> me/2
:> Thanks, I didnt notice any adapters on the Toshiba drive, and the Seagate
:>seemed to plug in OK, does the adapter just look like a jumper, whereabouts
:>on the pins would it be?
:>
:>W
:>

It's a piece, usually black plastic, that covers the 44 pins on the back of
the drive converting them to an edge connector to match the connector on the
system board. If you look a the old drive can you actually see the 44 pins
on the back of the drive or do you see what looks like an edge connector?
If you see the edge connector that piece has to be pried carefully loose
from the pins and put over the pins on the new drive. Set both drives side
by side and carefully look a the back of the drive right by where you said
you had to deal with a master/slave jumper. Right next to those pins are
the 44 pins that make up the actual connection to the system board. There
should be an obvious difference in what you see. Hope that helps.

Keep in mind that I'm basing this on the design of the US Satellite 3000
series built by Compal for Toshiba. If what you have is a different model
then you may be back to the possibility of a bad drive.

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 10:31:45 PM

"Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message
> I put a 60GB drive in my 3005-S303, using the adapter to which you
> referred. It works fine. I do have the latest BIOS (can't recall the
> number); that may make a difference.
>
> Perce
>

> On 02/19/05 03:13 pm me/2 tossed the following ingredients into the
> ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
>
> > If that's like the US 3000 series there is also a pin adapter that you
have
> > to remove from the pins on the old hard drive and install over the pins
on
> > the new hard drive so it will plug into the connector on the system
board.
> > You didn't mention that in your message but if you already did that also
> > then you may have received a bad drive. The US 3000 series Satellites
> > support a 40GB hard drive.
Thanks a lot me/2 + percival!!!! I finally figured out what the adaptor
was when holding the two disks side by side ...all is working now!! HOORAY
(is this adaptor something just used on Toshiba laptops???)

Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 10:31:46 PM

Will James wrote:
> "Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message
>> I put a 60GB drive in my 3005-S303, using the adapter to which you
>> referred. It works fine. I do have the latest BIOS (can't recall the
>> number); that may make a difference.
>>
>> Perce
>>

>> On 02/19/05 03:13 pm me/2 tossed the following ingredients into the
>> ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
>>
>>> If that's like the US 3000 series there is also a pin adapter that
>>> you have to remove from the pins on the old hard drive and install
>>> over the pins on the new hard drive so it will plug into the
>>> connector on the system board. You didn't mention that in your
>>> message but if you already did that also then you may have received
>>> a bad drive. The US 3000 series Satellites support a 40GB hard
>>> drive.
> Thanks a lot me/2 + percival!!!! I finally figured out what the
> adaptor was when holding the two disks side by side ...all is working
> now!! HOORAY (is this adaptor something just used on Toshiba
> laptops???)
>
> Will

Most (many?) laptop drives have an adapter of some sort to convert the
edge connector. Some are straight through, others offset to accomodate
the design of the case. This is also the case with optical drives if
you ever have to replace one.

a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 11:20:08 AM

Will James wrote:
> OK I got a new shiny drive for my Toshiba 3000x4 laptop, the old
(still
> working) drive was a 15GB Toshiba MK1517:
> http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk15...
> I bought a 40GB OEM Seagate ST94811A thinking it would be
compatible...
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st94811a.html
> I removed the old drive, took off the metal/plastic shield on the
underside
> which I attached to the Seagate removed the jumper setting plug(as
shown in
> the site above) to set the drive as master, screwed the outer cover
on and
> plugged the drive in, then screwed the outer screws in place. I
turned on
> the system, tried to start BIOS but was too late and it said no
operating
> system x3 so I did Ctrl-Alt-Del then pressed F2 immediately which
started
> the Phoenix Bios 4 Build 6.0. It then took me to a setup screen but
there
> appears to be no way to get a new HD recognized. If I move the cursor
down
> to hard drive and floppy past date and time it just skips to quiet
boot.
> There don't seem to be any of the advanced settings that I am used to
on my
> Desktop bios so is this a BIOS for dummies is there a special code I
need to
> access the advanced BIOS...help!
>
> Will
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 2:51:35 PM

Will James wrote:
> It did not auto detect the drive, it just said "no disk" and there
seemed
> to be no way to force it to recognise like on some other BIOSes. If I
start
> FDISK it says no fixed disk present...

Some Toshibas were a bit weird (yours is probably much too new to
qualify for this oddness, but I'll mention it anyway): they needed one
of the jumpers on the hard drive to be installed (usually the Cable
Select jumper). In cases where you've got a drive that works elsewhere
but not in a Toshi machine, I'd try shorting first one, then the other
jumper.

I've also occasionally come across drives that didn't read the jumpers
in the normal way and need to have a track cut on the PCBA, but that's
a really rare scenario. Come to think of it, I only saw it on some
Toshiba 15Gb drives we bought for an embedded application; they were
surplused and might have been from some weird custom build job.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 22, 2005 1:07:47 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:31:45 -0000, "Will James" <will64637@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

[...]

Great, glad you got it going. As someone else noted there is no real
standard as to how the hard drive is connected to the computer. Some plug
directly in, some use a pin adapter like yours and some go into a caddy that
is proprietary to a particular model.

me/2
!