Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win 7 won't install onto the hard drive

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2010 7:18:40 PM

First time build, everything went well until I tried to install Win 7 64 off of a USB drive. When the screen comes up during the installation to select a partition to install Windows on, Windows sees the drive but then has a message saying that I can't install because the drive was going to fail soon and to install on another partition. If I try to install anyways, it will either hang at 0% or have an error message saying that Windows could not partition the drive. Trying to delete the premade partition and then creating a new one didn't work either.

The HD shows up in bios and during post. I'm using a brand new Seagate Barracuda 1tb HD with a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H MB.

Is the hard drive actually bad or did not do something correctly? any help would be appreciated

More about : win install hard drive

December 29, 2010 7:56:09 PM

You might go into BIOS and see of SMART is enabled for the hard drive. then watch as you re-boot the PC. during the POST, there should now be some messages from the SMART monitoring if the HD is really going (or is) bad.
December 29, 2010 8:38:59 PM

I ran SeaTools and it said "A SMART trip was detected prior to the test starting" So I guess this HD need to be returned?
Related resources

Best solution

December 29, 2010 9:21:06 PM

Yep...Once the SMART is tripped, there is no resetting it. If it is a new drive, RMA it.
December 30, 2010 12:11:56 AM

Best answer selected by lsu22.
!