Sign in with
Your question

HD 6870 vs EVGA GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2010 2:40:56 PM

First off, let me state that I'm only interested in doing moderate overclocking, and even then not immediately. I'm not terribly experienced at this so I'm enduring some confusion.

I'm having difficulty choosing between the following video cards:

Radeon HD 6870
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FTW

I've gone over lots of reviews which show that the 6870 shows higher performance than the GTX 460 generally (at higher resolutions, which is what matters). However, I'm concerned with comparing with these specific factory-overclocked EVGA models, supposedly the best of the GTX 460 lot.

This review says "Meanwhile if you care about a balance of performance and power/heat/noise, then it’s the 6870 versus the EVGA GTX 460; and the EVGA card wins in an unfair fight." Presumably this is partly because it's already overclocked; however, this article and others state that the 6870 is one card that does get quite hot and really should have custom cooling, whereas presumably the EVGA wouldn't.

This article recommends a custom heatsink as well.

This gives a lot of FPS comparisons etc.

My questions:

#1: Considering that I'm only going to be doing moderate overclocking and the EVGA is already massively overclocked, which card is it worth it for me to buy? Keeping in mind the possible need for a custom heatsink on whichever card might need it (I can't find any good recommendations on that either).

#2: Another thing I am a little concerned about is noise. Some noise is fine, but not if it gets noticeably annoying. I've been trying to get noise comparisons between these two cards (as well as the Radeon HD 5850), but I'm turning up a blank. Anyone know?

More about : 6870 evga gtx 460

October 30, 2010 2:45:37 PM

1) 6870 owns all GTX 460s....the EVGA cannot be really overclocked anymore so its pointless really but it is a great card

anyways what kinda mobo are you running and CPU and what games?

because if your mobo only supports SLI and not crossfire id say get the SUperclocked EE

but if your mobo only supports Crossfire its a nobrainer get a 6870 (or a 6850 and overclock it)

if you never plan on SLI or Crossfire then go with the 6870.

but truthfully a 6850 is a better buy because it can be overclocked better then the 6870 and it runs like a charm
m
l
October 30, 2010 2:51:15 PM

Fast!

I'm still assembling the rig... heading for i7-930 with ASUS P6X58D-E.

Games: Pretty much everything for the next 4 years. Will rebuild at the end of that. I might, in a year or so, try getting another one of whichever card I get right now to go CF/SLI.

The 6850 is pretty close. Know anything about the noise/heat levels for these cards, and any custom cooling necessary?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2010 3:02:26 PM

I would consider External exhaust cards with that motherboard, if you plan on running 2 cards eventually. There is no slot between the two pci-e 16 slots when dual slot cards are used.
The 6870's are all EE right now, and you won't have to o/c.
m
l
October 30, 2010 10:44:16 PM

How can you tell if a card is EE? Just by looking for those grates on the back?

BTW, still no luck finding good noise/cooling info.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
October 30, 2010 11:43:25 PM

Hardwarecanuks.com did a great article on it:
"We’ll start with the obvious: overclocking increases heat output and overclocking with higher than reference voltage impacts thermals even more. Unfortunately, without a custom cooler the HD 6870 gains heat at an almost alarming pace and believe it or not, the vapour chamber-totting XFX HD 6850 isn’t that far behind. If you are thinking of going for high clock frequencies with a HD 6800 series product, we highly recommend you look into upgrading the heatsink or at least buying a product with a higher end thermal solution."
m
l
October 30, 2010 11:46:44 PM

yah those guys duno what theri saying u dont need aditional cooling unless you have shitty case

in my HAF 922 they dont get hot at all
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2010 11:56:00 PM

jasonp12 said:
yah those guys duno what theri saying u dont need aditional cooling unless you have shitty case

in my HAF 922 they dont get hot at all

They are referring to o/c gpu's. Since your not referencing what your talking about, we can only guess.
Most sites show the 6870 shooting up to high 80's when overclocking. Thats manageable , but getting hot.
m
l
October 31, 2010 12:30:36 AM

Motoledo said:
How can you tell if a card is EE? Just by looking for those grates on the back?

I too would like to know... anyone?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 12:34:50 AM

If the fan is centrally located (mid way between the video connectors and the end of the card where the power connectors are), then it is not External Exhaust (EE). If it has a blower type fan near the power connectors, then it is likely *Mostly* EE (many cards, especially AMD where the eyefinity connectors take up space, have a mix of Internal and EE).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 12:39:08 AM

Most 6850's are not EE cards, they vent the heat around the card in to the computer.

Most if not all 6870's are EE, they are mostly sealed and use a fan that pulls air inward and its forced out through the expansion slot vents, out of the computer.

There are pro's and con's to either cooling method. I'm running two cards that vent in my computer and its working fine. I have other exhaust fans, that are helping move air.

The EE cards sometimes run hotter, but what happens when you run two on top of each other in crossfire is the EE cards will actually keep the top card cooler than the other cooling method. But thats also dependent on the case/ cooling as well.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 12:57:22 AM

yesitsmario said:
I too would like to know... anyone?

It says it on the box, "EE".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 2:18:28 AM

Well, that does work for EVGA cards I suppose :lol: 
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 2:37:40 AM

This chart is from an overclocking study at Hardwarecanucks.com. It shows the average performance of the various cards when overclocked to the levels shown. Basically the bottom percentage is how the EVGA GTX460 FTW @850mhz (factory stock speed) compares. The conclusion is that the 460 FTW at it's stock speed beats a 6870 at stock and beats the 6850 when overclocked. The only time it loses is when the 6870 is pushed to it's maximum overclock at highest resolutions:

"Even when a HD 6870 is overclocked to 1GHz, the battle between it and the FTW flip flops from one card to the other depending on the game – there simply is no clear-cut winner"

"With a price of just $229 USD (and even less when you factor in the $10 - $15 mail in rebates being offered) this EVGA card is well within the financial reach of many gamers. This also makes it simply untouchable from a price / performance viewpoint."

"Performance-wise, our overclocked HD 6850 was able to hang with the HD 6870 in the vast majority of benchmarks but due to its lower shader count, there was sometimes a noticeable gap between the two cards. Upping clock speeds by applying additional voltage brought the HD 6850 in line with its more expensive brother but like all cards, this quickly leads to high heat and diminishing returns in overall framerate increases. Even XFX’s custom heatsink struggled to keep temperatures within check when the core was running in excess of 1Ghz."

"We will let the numbers do the talking here but want to add one thing: if you buy a card for its efficiency, don’t expect power consumption to be anywhere near that of the reference design once you overclock it. GDDR5 in particular can draw impressive amounts of power when pushed to its limits."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 5:11:06 AM

if you plan to go sli or crossfire later, its better to get a more generic card as it will be hard to find a second superclocked one to match what you have. I would get 6870 if i had a choice.
m
l
October 31, 2010 9:32:34 AM

6870 i'd say. Thing is, its a new card so drivers will come out that will make it faster, whereas the 460 is old and all the performance increasing drivers for it are all out.
m
l
October 31, 2010 11:29:37 AM

geta 6850 the 6870 isnt much better tbh...

with voltage tweaking coming out for the 6850 the 6850 gets way better overclocks
m
l
October 31, 2010 5:05:18 PM

Would the 6850 also require a custom heatsink? Going over the links I mentioned and others and can't find good answer to this. Temps with 6870 don't appear that different, so I'm guessing yes...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 6:16:14 PM

Motoledo said:
Would the 6850 also require a custom heatsink? Going over the links I mentioned and others and can't find good answer to this. Temps with 6870 don't appear that different, so I'm guessing yes...

What do you mean a "custom heatsink"? It has a custome heatsink already if thats what you mean?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 6:32:39 PM

Motoledo said:

You would want to wait until the individual makers make a 6850 with a more complex HSF.
You don't want to buy a video card with the intent of buying a aftermarket heat sink.
Its just not cost effective.
If you buy a 6850, the overclock should be done with no voltage, or very little. Everything else just results in to excess heat. Without much stable gain. Getting it to 900, 920,940 without or very little voltage is much better than getting 980 with 1.3 or more.
The 6870's have a heat pipe, copper base plate heat sink under the hood. Its partly probably why its 60 dollars more.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6870_T...
HIS Radeon HD 6870 Turbo 1 GB

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/4...
m
l
October 31, 2010 8:31:28 PM

those are the HIS....the Asus and XFX 6850s have good cooling

however only the ASUS has good 6870 cooling the XFX 6870 is reference cooling
m
l
October 31, 2010 8:32:24 PM

ohh btw so far my XFX 6850 is upto core clock @ 935mhz and mem clock at 1040mhz

thats with no voltage increase and temps never go above 60C on stress testing
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 8:35:09 PM

jasonp12 said:
those are the HIS....the Asus and XFX 6850s have good cooling

however only the ASUS has good 6870 cooling the XFX 6870 is reference cooling

Yeah, the Asus keeps the 6870 quite a bit cooler than the reference, and for being the same cost and really not that far off from reference, i was a little disappointed in reference cooling :pfff:  Still very "cool" cards, so impressive cooling isnt necessary.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 9:51:01 PM

kg2010 said:
Some food for thought

@ 850 MHZ which many other 460's can EASILY reach, the 460 outperforms the 6870,
even at a 810 MHZ it matches the 5850, 6870 AND the overclocked 6850.

Others have shown stats of the 460 reaching and exceeding 900 MHZ not just the MSI hawk,
which is ONLY $199 with the $15 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1232/avpo.png

Source: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/19894

Not much food in there considering it only shows 1 game and all results are within 1 FPS of each other...
m
l
October 31, 2010 9:54:18 PM

ares1214 said:
Not much food in there considering it only shows 1 game and all results are within 1 FPS of each other...

You're right, it's only 1 game which isn't Nvidia favored, but it still is outpeforming the 6870, even
at a modest 850 MHZ OC it still outperforms the MAX overclocked 6850 and that's what matters.

Is the 6850 still the better buy? I don't think so!

This benchmark, and I'm sure many more to come disproves this statement:
jasonp12 said:
1) 6870 owns all GTX 460s....

Clearly it doesn't. The 460 is a very capable overclocker, and the Hawk is top of the line
in that department. ( NO after market coolers needed )

The MSI Hawk is only $199 right now, which is at least $40 less than the cheapest 6870,
this is clearly the better buy for none ATI fanboi's like yourself who are capable of seeing stats
and understanding what they mean. Even if it's only 1 FPS at MAX settings, you can look at it
as 2 FPS behind the 5870 at 850 MHZ, and 2 FPS more @ 1175 MHZ against the 5870.

No matter which way you look at it, it still comes out on top.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 10:13:39 PM

kg2010 said:
You're right, it's only 1 game which isn't Nvidia favored, but it still is outpeforming the 6870, even
at a modest 850 MHZ OC it still outperforms the MAX overclocked 6850 and that's what matters.

Is the 6850 still the better buy? I don't think so!

This benchmark, and I'm sure many more to come disproves this statement:

Clearly it doesn't. The 460 is a very capable overclocker, and the Hawk is top of the line
in that department. ( NO after market coolers needed )

The MSI Hawk is only $199 right now, which is at least $40 less than the cheapest 6870,
this is clearly the better buy for none ATI fanboi's like yourself.

You have no room to be calling anyone a fanboy. In any event, here, let me go find a cherry picked benchmark on a cherry picked site that shows a AMD card winning by 1 FPS, then you would say it shows nothing. Doesnt work both ways buddy.
m
l
October 31, 2010 10:19:07 PM

Cry me a river - cherry picked benchmark? is that the best you got?

Be sure to find overclocked benchmarks that show the 460's true performance,
and please find overclocked 6850's too so it's a fair comparison for your sake.

Just like ATI fanboys cried when an overclocked card was used in benchmarks,
saying it's not fair, blah blah blah.

The point is the 460's have lots of overclocking room unlike the 6870.

It literally takes 5 minutes to overclock the card, it's quite easy, the MSI Hawk
is one killer performing card, especially for the price of only $199. ( Just thought
I'd remind you in case you wanted to overlook that fact )
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 10:25:04 PM

kg2010 said:
Cry me a river - cherry picked benchmark? is that the best you got?

Be sure to find overclocked benchmarks that show the 460's true performance,
and please find overclocked 6850's too so it's a fair comparison.

Just like ATI fanboys cried when an overclocked card was used in benchmarks,
saying it's not fair.

The point is the 460's have lots of overclocking room unlike the 6870.

It literally takes 5 minutes to overclock the card, it's quite easy,
and especially the MSI Hawk, that is one killer performing card,
especially for the price of only $199. ( Just thought I'd remind you
in case you wanted to overlook that fact )

Please drop the "ATI fanboy" conspiracy act, it just makes you look immature. And im not trying to impress you, proving 1 benchmark from 1 site showing the Nvidia cards wins is also know as "cherry picking". By 1 FPS no less, not even showing what that FPS is. :lol:  But dont get me wrong, i mean i always buy my gear based on what 1 site, who does 1 benchmark, at 1 setting, by 1 FPS says...
m
l
October 31, 2010 10:27:33 PM

Based on your actions on every thread - it's not a conspiracy - it's a fact.

If the 6850 outperformed it by 1 FPS we would never hear the end of it!

Just like in this very thread people claim the 6870 OWNS all 460's, and I'm
merely showing it's NOT true. As soon as the truth is revealed, you try to
downplay it, saying it's cherry picked or what ever.

To my knowledge, this is the only site that has shown overclocked benchmarks
for both the 460 and the 6850, otherwise there would be more benchmarks
for you to deny.

Nvidia made the mistake of setting the stock clocks too low on the 460, but
fact remains, the 460 has lots of overclocking room having as much 25% - 30%
gains when overclocked. Most benchmarks out there do not show the 460's
true potential, except for this one so far:
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/19894

I'm hoping there's more to come.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 10:36:38 PM

kg2010 said:
Based on your actions on every thread - it's not a conspiracy - it's a fact.

If the 6850 outperformed it by 1 FPS we would never hear the end of it!

to my knowledge, this is the only site that has shown overclocked benchmarks
for both the 460 and the 6850, otherwise there would be more benchmarks
for you to deny.

Once again, quit it with the personal attacks, doesnt move anything along. If you had seen me a few years ago, you would have thought i was a Nvidia fanboy. Im american, and americans like a winner. AMD is winning. Would you like me to spell out the reasons why i have basically only recommended the 6850 lately? Here you go, for you to deny of course.

• Beats the 460 by about 5% at stock, is about equal at max OC
  • Not even having MSI overvoltage support, or many non-reference models, therefore the "max" OC isnt even the max.
  • These have all been reviewed on driver 10.10, even though it was meant for 10.11. Drivers have always improved performance from launch, so expecting a 5% overall performance increase is to be expected.
  • Scaling has improved a LOT from 5xxx, so much so it now has better scaling than the 460. This will also improve with drivers. Most people forget fermi had below 5xxx scaling at launch/slightly before launch.
  • Uses only 1 6 pin connector, as well as uses less power.
  • With reference, the 6850 runs about as hot as the 460. Once non-reference cards get reviewed, they should run a decent bit cooler.
  • It costs $20 less than your average 460, and $35 less than these "special" 460's.
  • Xfire is supported on all AM3 and P55/X58 boards. SLI isnt always supported on AM3 boards.

You put all those together, and i give the win to the 6850. Features cancel out, 6850 has eyefinity, 460 has Physx, 6850 has MLAA, 460 has CUDA, 6850 has APP, and so on. The 460 is the better buy than the 6870, which is the better buy than the 470. However the 6850 loses out to the 460. However, its hard to make a bad decision between the 2 of them, i just think the 6850 is the better choice.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 10:49:07 PM

Again, when it comes to ocing, make sure your cards warranty is covered by a pre overclocked buy.
    Many preoceed cards have lessor warranties
    Power is another thing to consider, thus heat, plus psu considerations
    OC if your favorite game(s) need it for smooth play
    YMMV, or, your milage may vary, depending on each card
    Lifetime of a card will be reduced ocing

Then decide if you need it
    If its for epeen, forget it
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 10:49:19 PM

Here is a very good example of what i was talking about:

See the 6850 vs 460. Very tiny win for the 6850, like i said 5%(4.3%), however put them in Xfire vs SLI, and the win increases to 10.5%. Why you may ask? Because they have better scaling. Better scaling on release drivers no less. They always get better. Example #2:

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/grafiek/6552/80462,...

This is RIGHT when the 480 launched. We all know the 480 has much better scaling than the 5870 NOW, but back then? Nope, 3x480's lost to 3x 5870's. Drivers always improve dual card scaling.
    m
    l
    October 31, 2010 10:50:47 PM

I honestly don't care to get into debates with you, read my post above again.

Who cares about stock speeds really? I don't know anyone that would purchase a 460
    and run it at stock.

Both cards are not equal at Max OC, the 460 outperforms it by 1 - 5 FPS ( 41 vs 36 ) in the benchmark
    seen above. If that was an Nvidia favored game I'm sure you would state that too.

MSI Hawk is $199 and is the top of the line "special" card as you put it, clearly it's not $35 more is it?

I personally wouldn't purchase the EVGA OC cards as they are quite loud, unlike the Hawk.

If you're putting a computer together, and you're purchasing Nvidia, it's not hard to
    find mobo's that have SLI support.

Gee, I wonder why SLI isn't always support on AM3 boards? I bet it has nothing to do with AMD.

Just wait and see until more benchmarks come out that show the true performance of the 460,
    instead of basing it on "stock" clocks. The 460 is under clocked on purpose, as I'm sure Nvidia
    didn't want to cut into their 470 sales unfortunately.

That doesn't mean the 460 isn't easily overclocked to outperform the 6850 AND 6870.

so now you found a benchmark at stock speeds with 1 FPS difference and suddenly it does make a difference in this case.

Does this benchmark include the MSI Hawk in SLI?
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 10:51:14 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Again, when it comes to ocing, make sure your cards warranty is covered by a pre overclocked buy.
    Many preoceed cards have lessor warranties
    Power is another thing to consider, thus heat, plus psu considerations
    OC if your favorite game(s) need it for smooth play
    YMMV, or, your milage may vary, depending on each card
    Lifetime of a card will be reduced ocing

Then decide if you need it
    If its for epeen, forget it

I agree, i dont even OC my 4890 because no game i have needs the extra speed. If they did, i would, but i wouldnt just OC to max from the start. Massive waste. Many people dont even OC their cards at all. Claiming the 460 is 1 FPS faster at max OC may be true, but its an extremely weak argument as a whole argument for buying the 460 over the 6850.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 10:54:15 PM

kg2010 said:
    I honestly don't care to get into debates with you, read my post above again.

Who cares about stock speeds really? I don't know anyone that would purchase a 460
    and run it at stock.

Both cards are not equal at Max OC, the 460 outperforms it by 1 - 5 FPS ( 41 vs 36 ) in the benchmark
    seen above. If that was an Nvidia favored game I'm sure you would state that too.

MSI Hawk is $199 and is the top of the line "special" card as you put it, clearly it's not $35 more is it?

I personally wouldn't purchase the EVGA OC cards as they are quite loud, unlike the Hawk.

If you're putting a computer together, and you're purchasing Nvidia, it's not hard to
    find mobo's that have SLI support.

Gee, I wonder why SLI isn't always support on AM3 boards? I bet it has nothing to do with AMD.

Just wait and see until more benchmarks come out that show the true performance of the 460,
    instead of basing it on "stock" clocks. The 460 is under clocked on purpose, as I'm sure Nvidia
    didn't want to cut into their 470 sales unfortunately.

That doesn't mean the 460 isn't easily overclocked to outperform the 6850 AND 6870.

The only reason we may see more reviews with OC'ed 460's is because Nvidia knows they have to OC them to keep up. Nvidia told AT to put a EVGA OC card in their review, a site known for not comparing OC to stock.
    I said "some" of the special OC cards cost $35 more, and the rest cost $20. Way to not read. Also, grasping at straws. Fact is Xfire is more supported than SLI currently, and your right AMD has something to do with it. Does that change anything...? No.
    m
    l
    October 31, 2010 10:55:50 PM

LOL - of course it does have EVERYTHING to do with it.

You're a dilusional fanboy.

Luckily, I wouldn't buy an AMD processor ever again, and I have no problems
    running my cards in SLI if I wanted to.

My last computer was an AMD Dual core and to give you an example of its "amazing" performance
    of my every day use. It encoded a 30 minute video from Adobe premiere in 20 hours, now the
    same video takes about 22 minutes to encode on my new computer.

That's not even in the same league. That's why I now steer clear from AMD processors.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 10:57:34 PM

kg2010 said:
    LOL - of course it does have EVERYTHING to do with it.

You're a dilusional fanboy.

It has everything to do with what...?
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 10:59:20 PM

All these cards are decent cards, and some games play different on different cards, as seen by the various links
    If the game(s) you play lend to a certain card, make that your choice
    If it doesnt matter, then see what Ive said above about ocing

@kg, I really dont think Ares is being biased here, anymore than what his needs are to go right by him

Lets level off the fanboi crap, it becomes conspiratorial, where soon, everyone is
    m
    l
    October 31, 2010 11:05:41 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
    All these cards are decent cards, and some games play different on different cards, as seen by the various links
    If the game(s) you play lend to a certain card, make that your choice
    If it doesnt matter, then see what Ive said above about ocing

@kg, I really dont think Ares is being biased here, anymore than what his needs are to go right by him

Lets level off the fanboi crap, it becomes conspiratorial, where soon, everyone is

Ok - I won't call him that - I just find him really annoying

Despite the benchmarks shown - he still think the 6850 which is fine and it's his opinion,
    it doesn't make it fact - and that's really all I'm saying

But as usual Ares always needs to be "right".

Carry on with your discussions, now I remember why I stopped posting here a few months ago in the 1st place
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 11:10:17 PM

kg2010 said:
    Ok - I won't call him that - I just find him really annoying

Despite the benchmarks shown - he still think the 6850 which is fine and it's his opinion,
    it doesn't make it fact - and that's really all I'm saying

But as usual Ares always needs to be "right".

Carry on with your discussions, now I remember why I stopped posting here a few months ago in the 1st place

I dont NEED to be right, but people like you just make it so easy! ;)  Anyway, to sum things up, the difference between you and me is that you assume the person OC's their card to the max. I assume they are simply buying a card. FYI, this 6xxx series is using 5xxx PCB. Put one of these on a custom MSI PCB with a custom cooler, and then see the overclocking results.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 11:28:46 PM

As I think you've both presented your arguments several times, I think its best just to drop it and let the OP respond with any further questions, if he hasn't been scared off.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 11:32:31 PM

EXT64 said:
    As I think you've both presented your arguments several times, I think its best just to drop it and let the OP respond with any further questions, if he hasn't been scared off.

Yeah, sorry OP for getting into a bit of a argument. Kinda derailed this thread, which i take some responsibility in for participating :pfff:  :( 
    m
    l
    October 31, 2010 11:33:28 PM

IDK what happened to my post, but here it is - and that's it for me

LOL you really are the most annoying person I've ever come across

is an 850 MHZ a MAX OC? 1175 MHZ is the MAX OC for the 460, the 850 is modest.

The 460 can easily reach and exceed 900 MHZ not just the MSI hawk,

Based on the benchmarks the 460 is BETTER than the 6850 AND the 6870
    BUT you can go with what ever card you like, 'cuz quite frankly NO ONE CARES.

Put one of these on a custom MSI cooler? isn't that going to bring the price up? As well as custom modifications?

Now, who is really going to do that? hmmmm - see, you really are dillusional.

If people are so afraid to OC their cards as you claim, then I'm sure they'd be more afraid to customize the actual card as well.

The OP specifically stated that he wanted to OC, so overclocking is clearly relevant here.

for the record, as an example, my MSI cyclone comes with 725 MHX for its stock clock, which would make it better
    than the 6850 at stock clocks, contrary to what you'd have others believe.

See below:

Last I checked 32 FPS > 31 FPS
    m
    l
    a c 271 U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 11:34:56 PM

kg2010 said:
    IDK what happened to my post,

I happened.
    m
    l
    October 31, 2010 11:35:28 PM

I was still editing as you can see above
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    October 31, 2010 11:36:43 PM

kg2010 said:
    IDK what happened to my post, but here it is - and that's it for me

LOL you really are the most annoying person I've ever come across

is an 850 MHZ a MAX OC? 1175 MHZ is the MAX OC for the 460, the 850 is modest.

The 460 can easily reach and exceed 900 MHZ not just the MSI hawk,

Based on the benchmarks the 460 is BETTER than the 6850 AND the 6870
    BUT you can go with what ever card you like, 'cuz quite frankly NO ONE CARES.

Put one of these on a custom MSI cooler? isn't that going to bring the price up? As well as custom modifications?

Now, who is really going to do that? hmmmm - see, you really are dillusional.

If people are so afraid to OC their cards as you claim, then I'm sure they'd be more afraid to customize the actual card as well.

The OP specifically stated that he wanted to OC, so overclocking is clearly relevant here.

for the record, as an example, my MSI cyclone comes with 725 MHX for its stock clock, which would make it better
    than the 6850 at stock clocks, contrary to what you'd have others believe.

See below:
    ]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1232/avpo.png

Last I checked 32 FPS > 31 FPS

It got deleted because we have derailed this thread far enough.
    m
    l
    October 31, 2010 11:39:04 PM

for once - I agree with you
    m
    l
    !