Reseating CPU/Heatsink causing 65+ Temps ! Help !

cryptonx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Hi,

I was recently having a no post issue with my Setup

Phenom X4 955 BE @ Stock ( 3.2 Ghz )
ga-ma770t-usb3
2x2 GB EliteTeam 1333 DDR3 Rams
4850HD

While I was trying to resolve that issue, I tried re-seating the stock amd Heatsink
While removing it ... the PROCESSOR came out stuck to it ! with the lever down !

I was SHOCKED and THOUGHT i ruined my Processor ! I the grease was almost like CEMENT !
And I couldn't remove it !

I even made things worse and tried to re-attach the processor with the heatsink on top of it ! which was painful because I can hardly see where the processor was going ...

Anyways after doing so the problem turned out to be a malfunctioning OCZ PSU .. I got a CoolerMaster 500W instead and installed, I have post and all go and the processor was thankfully detected correctly

While windows was loading i heard a very strange beep/alarm low noise from the PC
I restarted and went into the BIOS screen
to find out that the CPU is running @ 58 C ! with the fan running @ 3000 RPM and Cool'n'Quite on !

the warning/alarm was set to go off at 70 (which means it did go off )

I closed it again went into Windows to try and download AMD OverDrive or similar application
but Windows 7 was acting up in slow-motion and as if the mouse pointer is skipping frames ! then the alarm went off again !

I immediately shut down the PC and posting this from an old notebook, Have i damaged the Processor or Do I need a new heatsink / grease ?

Am really terrified ! :cry: :eek:

Solution
Wow. That was painful even to read. I'd be crapping uncontrollably if my 965 was literally ripped out of the socket... :ouch:

As long as it still runs, you didn't damage your processor to any noticeable extent. They're really either a "works" or "doesn't work" sort of deal... I've never really seen a processor that "only kinda works now"...

The best I can suggest is to take a blow drier and gently warm up your processor+heatsink combo. Take some of the purest rubbing alcohol you can find and gently wipe away at the thermal paste to try and get it off. Try not to get any on the pins if you can... eventually, the heat plus cleaning action of the alcohol should be enough to free your 955...

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Wow. That was painful even to read. I'd be crapping uncontrollably if my 965 was literally ripped out of the socket... :ouch:

As long as it still runs, you didn't damage your processor to any noticeable extent. They're really either a "works" or "doesn't work" sort of deal... I've never really seen a processor that "only kinda works now"...

The best I can suggest is to take a blow drier and gently warm up your processor+heatsink combo. Take some of the purest rubbing alcohol you can find and gently wipe away at the thermal paste to try and get it off. Try not to get any on the pins if you can... eventually, the heat plus cleaning action of the alcohol should be enough to free your 955.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008&Tpk=noctua%20nt-h1
^That's the best widely available thermal paste I can find. It typically performs better than Arctic Silver 5 (which I absolutely hate because of the curing time and conductivity), is completely non-conductive, easy to apply, and shouldn't really give you any trouble. If you cant get any of it where you live (sorry if NewEgg isn't available to you), only then I'd try to find some Tuniq TX-2(or 3), or do some searching and find something similar. That Noctua is my favorite, though. I guess AC5 isn't all that bad - I just prefer other thermal pastes over it if I have the option.

Just my opinion on what you should do. Be careful, if you try this... :)

Solution
Usually a cpu removal of any type intentional or otherwise requires a bios reset.
Reset by battery removal or Load optimized defaults in your bios.
As suggested clean and re-apply paste.
In the future it's best to change HS or paste after your rig has been running for a while.

cryptonx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Thank you, I thought so too will be doing it today hopefully !

Well I was terrified like I said, But I was a bit sad as well :) this was my main gaming rig a few months back, But I've gotten myself into the Xbox 360 World, And the last game I every played was like 6 months ago on this PC. its now strictly a HTPC in a full case, Hidden behind a 32" LCD Monitor :) but Part of me was like NOOOOOOOOO !

Anyways back to the point, Unfortunetly NewEgg is not avaialble here and all the thermal paste here are either the stock ones that comes with the Processor or some cheap crap.. I've managed to find something better but I am not sure if it's good or not
Its the ZALMAN ZM-STG2 Thermal Greases

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3977/zmstg2.jpg

AM also thinking of a ZALMAN fan for the Chasis as it stuck behind an LCD/Xbox/HT system and it was reporting 42 IDLE temp.

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks alot, I did remove the Clear CMOS jumper and now waiting for the Paste, Hopefully its an easy job for me without WRECKING something else :)

cryptonx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Sadly I couldn't find the Zalman and all I found was some cheap silicone based Chinese paste ... I used it for now

IDLING dropped to 49 C now and the Vcore is 1.344V

Should I leave it like this or do something ?

EDIT : I am reading these temps from the BIOS but Software monitors are reporting much lower temps ( IDLING @ 40 C

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Seeing as the paste in a cheaper brand, I would let it "burn in" or "cure" for a bit.
After a week or so you will probably see further drops in you temps.
If not, then perhaps its time to invest in a new heat-sink and some established paste.

cryptonx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Thanks,

I tried rendering a scene in 3dsmax to Max out the CPU

@ 100% Load the Temps went up to 76-79 !
the problem is I never measured the temps. before the Reseat thus I really can't compare, But I do think 79 is waay too hot

but note, The PC is behind a 32" LCD that is always on and below are an Xbox 360 - DVD unit and A Digital Satelite Reciever

And the PC Case HAS no extra fans other than the PSUs - CPUs and the GPUs respective stock fan.

I Think I need an Extra Fan for the Case @ least as I can't move the PC from this location.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
A heads up - Zalman makes some great heatsinks, but be careful what you buy. A lot of their older, iconic copper coolers were designed a long time ago, and aren't quite as efficient as a lot of the newer coolers. I'm not saying that they're bad, just be careful and do some research before you buy one. They really do have some great options available. ;)

cryptonx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Thanks for the heads-up am going to try a Zalman Case Fan first, If it kept a good air flow and dropped the temps a bit I will be a happy man, Since this PC is rarely going to be used as a Gaming machine, but I might Render some stuff which would requirie 4-5 hours of 100% CPU Load.