Sign in with
Your question

Xfx nforce 680i blue blinking light

Last response: in Components
March 23, 2011 10:32:59 PM

My PC recently stopped powering on. When I took the case apart, I see a blue blinking light in the top right corner. What does this error code mean? I cannot find any info on error codes on the XFX site. Before it stopped powering up I had some trouble where it would not wake up from "sleep" mode so I would have to restart -- and it would not so I would use the power button. It would not work right away so I tried things like unplugging power cord, shutting power switch on back, and holding the power button in for 10-15 seconds. Eventually it powered up. This happened twice before it simply would not power up.

I thought it may be the PSU or mobo, but then saw the blinking error light. Anyone know what it means? Thanks.

More about : xfx nforce 680i blue blinking light

a c 1204 ) Power supply
March 24, 2011 1:30:29 AM

There's virtually no documentation on the blue, green and amber/yellow LEDs.

What's silk-screened on the motherboard next to the blue LED is +5 STBY.

I would think a steady blue LED would indicate that the +5V Standby power rail of the power supply unit is working correctly.

A blinking blue LED would indicate a problem on the power supply's +5V Standby rail.

I have an EVGA nForce 780i SLI motherboard that has these three LEDs but the motherboard manual mentions nothing about their existence or purpose.

If you have access to a different power supply unit that you can troubleshoot with swap out the one that is giving you the problem and try the new one.
m
l
March 24, 2011 1:40:03 AM

Thanks. you are right about the documentation! I could not believe there is absolutely no mention of the lights in the manual or even on their website! I am pretty sure it must be the power supply, so i have ordered a new one and I am crossing my fingers. Will update results.
m
l
!