No audio playing despite audio devices *apparently* OK

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
OK, I'm stumped on this one. Thought I'd throw this out to you all before I just wipe the damn thing and start again.

Phenom II X4 955BE at stock
8GB RAM (Kingston I believe) at 1333MHz
Asus 785G chipset motherboard (can't recall which one)
Radeon 5550 1GB
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Randomly, it stops producing audio one day after using the onboard since it was built (about a year old at this point). However, the volume control icon is still there, and everything that could report on the device status all says it's there an working fine.

Try to play anything with audio however and nowt happens - no sound, not even any activity on Windows' little volume meters.

Checked the default audio device, disabled the ATI HD audio on the graphics card, even ripped the Radeon out and uninstalled it so there's only 1 audio device.

Still nothing.

So, I get the guys over at the shop we use to have a look, they say it's OK after putting in a cheapo PCI sound card. Go to use the thing today and nothing's changed. And now, Windows Media Player won't even do anything - open a wave file, a WMV and AVI, hit play and nothing, not even actually progressing through the file.

Similarly, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 won't play anything back, and I mean nothing happens not just video plays back with no audio.

I can't afford to have this machine offline any longer so I'm about to just wipe the bloody thing and start over, but if anybody has any suggestions as to what else I can try I'm all ears.

Ta muchly - give me a shout if you need any more info.

Have you tried reinstalling the sound drivers for your onboard sound. I had a similar problem with the onboard sound no longer working, but the device was still listed in the device manager, reinstalling the sound drivers fixed the problem. Disconnect the cheapo PCI sound card and try to dig up your motherboard's driver CD, or download the drivers from Asus's website and reinstall them.

For the download option you will have to know your motherboard's model number, but you can get that off of your BIOS splash screen when the system starts up, or simply open the case, the model number should be printed on the board itself.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Sorry, I neglected to mention I've already tried driver updates for both the onboard and the PCI card.

Doesn't hurt to try again.

What I don't get is even if the onboard had gone faulty or drivers had gotten screwed, I've disabled it and put in a separate card. Still nothing, and as I said there's no sign of activity at all.

It's almost as if Windows' multimedia subsystem has gotten screwed.

It won't hurt to scrub out audio driver renmants.
Try DriverSweeper and get rid of them.
Has always worked for me both audio and video wise.

have you tried just unplugging the speaker waiting a few and then plugging it back in.
if you get a message saying audio jack removed when you plug it back in you should see another saying audio jack inserted, what output should be designated to it. choose front out.

it may just be sum1 is yankin yer chain with you at the office by changing the outputs...

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I doubt anybody has been tinkering intentionally, but we have had students in so they could have messed with it.

Just has me stumped. I've been doing this for years and I've never been stumped like this before lol no jack detection, no activity, nothing.

I'll go try these suggestions again and see if anything comes from it, otherwise I'm gonna full reinstall.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Thanks for the input vegettonox - yes, the onboard was disabled before adding the PCI card. I've also spent a while triple-checking the speakers and all wiring into the amp to make sure it's all OK. It is.

An update:

Having had a quick play again this morning and gone back to the onboard sound for a bit with the PCI card removed and both onboard digital outputs disabled.

I've been able to get activity on the system - i.e. Windows volume meters flicking away when playing sound through different apps (you know how each thing that uses a sound pops up a volume control). The Realtek HD manager also detects jack activity when I plug speakers into the jack, but I don't think I can actually do jack retasking, so desktop stereo speakers are green socket only.

7 different sets of speakers and headphones and nothing comes out.

Could this be a faulty jack?

I'll be moving on to the PCI card shortly.

festerovic

Distinguished
Check to see if there is an option somewhere, either on the realtek or the sound card, that says something to the effect of : "Output only digital audio" . (thats what it says on mine, but I know my work computer it says something different for the same option)

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I've disabled all digital options. Nothing.

I might see if can score an optical receiver to see if I can get sound out if the onboard. I'm thinking dodgy jack at this point.

PCI card tomorrow if I can't get an optical receiver.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Link please Dadiggle? As far as I know I've used that driver version and still nothing. And the machine was working fine on Windows 7 x64 up until a few weeks back.

It also doesn't explain why the issue persists with a PCI card.

I'll try anything of course and exhaust all options before I reformat and start over.