Oc'd e8400 to 3.6ghz on stock cooler

Solution
if you are between ambient room temperatures of 68f (20c) to 70f (21.11c) then your temps are great.

How high did you go in volts?

Did you Prime95 it?

balthalzar

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
i actually undervolteded it, its running at 1.12v and max at 1.14v i'm using CPUID HW Monitor and AIDA64 and yes i got 56c in prime95 but nothing ever stresses a computer out like that realistically lol

balthalzar

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
alright, i only got a gtx 460 so no reason for higher lolz, if i ever find a game i can't get 40-50 fps in i'm gonna upgrade cpu XD maybe gpu, but hopefully not for 1-3yrs i only play WoW and cod anyway

jb6684

Distinguished
Those temps are great! Nice and low even under load. Push the clock higher, till it crashes or your Prime95 times hit 70C.

Then, what is the RPM on the stock cooler? If its just too loud for you, or you want to clock higher, pick out a good after market cooler. It will be FAR quieter. And a bit cooler too.....

212+ is a good starter cooler.....

NOTE: I could hit 4.1Ghz with my E8400 and a monster Zalman cooler. But quiet honestly, a huge cooler on a dual core is overkill. Temps were never my problem with the OC....

Personally I think that since it is stable and at a good speed
leave it alone

An extra 400 mhz or so doesnt really make any difference other
than in synthetic benches

If OCing for the challenge of it and good benches are your hobby
then go for it
but
for real world applications it really wont make much difference
Though having a C2D at 4.0ghz is a cool thing to brag about LOL

jb6684

Distinguished
Don't be surprised. It's a 65watt chip and a dual core to boot. Doesn't take much of a heat sink to keep that cool. Even at high OC's.

Now 95watt chips, MIGHT need an aftermarket cooler.....

But get into the 125watt and 130watt CPUs, and the stock coolers won't even support Stock speeds and voltages let alone an OC... (example: i7-900 series, run Prime95 and watch the temps soar with a stock cooler. Even aftermarkets struggle when your shooting for 4Ghz... and <80C)