Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Gateway Core i5 480m Laptop Overheating

Last response: in CPUs
March 24, 2011 12:20:44 AM

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on tomshardware.com, and I couldn't think of a better place to ask for help. I recently got this laptop:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

You can see the full specs at that link. But any ways, the laptop is idling at 55°C and at load it's easily doing 95°C...nd yes it is celsius. I verified the temperature in realtemp, coretemp, and speedfan latest version as of now and they all seemed to be reporting the same temp. The sensor test on realtemp also passed, but the funny thing is the temp starts shooting pretty much instantly when the cpu picks up load. Like it'll be on 55 and as soon as i start rendering video on AVS editor or run any cpu intensive program(dat puts cpu on 100% load) it jumps instantly(as in 2 or 3 secs) to 85 and then makes it way to 95. I have recorded max temperatures of 102°C as of yet :(  ... I am curious if the temperature can go so high in such a short period of time? Have any body heard of any heating issues with core i5 480m cpus or this particular kind of laptop? Any tip and advice is welcome! Thanks in advance....
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2011 12:23:47 AM

Get a replacement its to hot.
Score
March 24, 2011 12:26:29 AM

Do you think it could be possible that the drivers for sensors are messed up and the readings are incorrect? Cuz it doesn't feel so hot from outside, but then i don't let it run for too long with those temperature readings. Any hey thanks for the quick response! :D 
Score
Related resources
March 24, 2011 1:21:52 AM

i would try running a program that causes huge load.
see if it crashes or if it feels hot. At 95 degrees celsius, the laptop should feel like its burning its case

I think it is completely possible to be a false reading. I'm guessing a problem with the heatsink/thermal paste
Score
March 31, 2011 12:13:48 AM

I used prime95 to test that, and it seems to max at 95°C (average) at 100% load. I called intel and they said as long as the temperature is below 105°C, it's perfectly fine. I am guessing this new series of i5 mobile processors are just designed to run hot. Wish someone who had same processor could share his readings :/ 
Score
April 8, 2011 7:32:22 PM

hey i have intel core i5 460m n suffering from same problem.. temperature suddenly shoots up to 95 degrees under full load.. what is the solution to this??
Score
April 8, 2011 7:32:40 PM

hey i have intel core i5 460m n suffering from same problem.. temperature suddenly shoots up to 95 degrees under full load.. what is the solution to this??
Score
April 10, 2011 4:08:30 AM

so far the solution that I found was not to run it on full load for too long....and as long as it stays below 105 i guess u r good...
Score
May 27, 2011 3:41:40 PM

In my experience your definitely getting too hot, if your CPU is going over 80C, I would start to get worried. My i5-460m runs at 31/20 min and under serious load, ONE TIME it hit 64, usually 59 gaming, rarely goes to 61 and very rarely goes to 64C, I suspect there's something wrong either your fan isn't coming on early enough or a problem with your thermal paste being too dry or not applied properly or just being rubbish.

I would check it out, its not supposed to go that hot.

1. open up your lappy and check for dust especially any clumps that could be stuck in the vent, try to get as much access to the fan area as possible and use canned air to blow out the dust.
2. go to your laptop vendors website and download ALL drivers(Intel drivers, Wireless, VGA, everything) and see what it does after that
3. check your GPU temps as well. if you only have one fan on the system, its removing heat for both CPU and GPU
4. contact where you bought it from and see if your warranty's out, if it is find an independent repair shop to check it out, or LAST RESORT; open it up yourself and change the thermal pate and give it a clean out.

Score
November 20, 2011 7:56:07 PM

talha6k said:
I used prime95 to test that, and it seems to max at 95°C (average) at 100% load. I called intel and they said as long as the temperature is below 105°C, it's perfectly fine. I am guessing this new series of i5 mobile processors are just designed to run hot. Wish someone who had same processor could share his readings :/ 

I have a Dell laptop with i5 chip with turboboost technology I believe it is 480M with 2.66 Ghz speed cpu.When I run chess programs with infinite analysis by engine and all 4 threads it shoots up to 95C like it is nothing at all.. the program I try to monitor the temperature is called Coretemp and it shows max temp.. 105C which I believe the allowed temp. I assume if it hits that temp, it automatically reduces the cpu speed since it is based on some turboboost technology which automatically meters the CPU performance etc. still I dont feel comfortable at all seeing such high temperatures. BUt I do believe it is normal if you load the cpu to the fullest extent. The chips are designed for such heat but our laps are not so we feel burnt. May be you can use a cooler pad to take away some heat. Just a thought and my two cents worth.
Score
!