Problem with Thinkpad 600E screen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 19, 2005 2:20:45 PM

The type no. is 2645-4AU. Here is a description of the problem.

Basically, there are four things the screen is doing as follows:
1) It goes very dark, but not completely off. When it does this I can
still see a few pixel rows across the screen
2) It goes completely white.
3) It operates with distorted colors. Hard to describe in words, like
the screen has some acid washing done to the colors. (A friend of mine
actually thought I had changed the display settings to operate like
this.) Also, There is a distinct transition exactly in the middle of
the screen where the problem is noticeably worse on the left then the
right half of the screen.
4) It will operate as in 3) but will be frozen. i.e. I can see the
image but my mouse cursor won't move.

Now, this is what I think is the key clue to the problem:

When I press the left side of the screen from the rear the problems
disappear, even the freezing. To be more specific, I press about
1-1/2" from the left edge, mid-way up the height of the screen.
Basically I grab the left side of the screen and press my fingers on
the back.

Since the problems disappear when I press the screen, in the position
that I described, it seems it might be a problem with the LCD panel or
a connector. But the fact that the screen freezes makes me think that
the problem may be with the invertor or something.

So, my first question is, does anyone know which component I should
replace?

I figure I is probably the LCD panel that is at fault so this is what
I am preparing to replace. However, IBM lists three makes for the LCD
panel these are:
DBU 05K9398
Hitachi 05K9346
LG 05K9367

So, my second question is, can I use any of these three LCD panels or
do I have to get the exact same make as is currently in the laptop?

-Jonathan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 4:12:44 PM

I have the same exact model. Try these things in order:

1. Remove about 11 screws from the bottom of the unit and then take off
the keyboard assembly and bezel. There are a couple of connectors that
has to be unplugged. Once the display connectors are exposed, check the
one on the left. This connector is power for the inverter. It is
screwed down, but maybe cocked loose. On the right there is the "data"
connector. It is the one that gives info/data ohn your LCD, not related
at all with brightness. It too should be pushed down and tight.

2. You can power on the unit with keyboard off. It should lite up and
gives keyboard/mouse error message. Thats ok. The idea is to check the
display lamps/CCFL and inverter. If it lights up and then go dark, then
you have inverter/CCFL problem. If it stays lit, then you have the LCD
intermittent problem whyihc could be a bear to fix. Inverter is about
$15 at eBay. CCFL is about $10 at lcdparts.com, but they are a bear to
install. The lamp is fragile.

3. Buy a good used display assembly. Plenty on eBay. Just make sure it
is the one for your unit. They are ueasy to install. Mine is 13.3"
TFT/active matrix display.

I suggest you bid a "known" good display assembly on eBay and and be
sure it says TFT or active matrix. If the screen lite's up
Jonathan wrote:
> The type no. is 2645-4AU. Here is a description of the problem.
>
> Basically, there are four things the screen is doing as follows:
> 1) It goes very dark, but not completely off. When it does this I can
> still see a few pixel rows across the screen
> 2) It goes completely white.
> 3) It operates with distorted colors. Hard to describe in words, like
> the screen has some acid washing done to the colors. (A friend of
mine
> actually thought I had changed the display settings to operate like
> this.) Also, There is a distinct transition exactly in the middle of
> the screen where the problem is noticeably worse on the left then the
> right half of the screen.
> 4) It will operate as in 3) but will be frozen. i.e. I can see the
> image but my mouse cursor won't move.
>
> Now, this is what I think is the key clue to the problem:
>
> When I press the left side of the screen from the rear the problems
> disappear, even the freezing. To be more specific, I press about
> 1-1/2" from the left edge, mid-way up the height of the screen.
> Basically I grab the left side of the screen and press my fingers on
> the back.
>
> Since the problems disappear when I press the screen, in the position
> that I described, it seems it might be a problem with the LCD panel
or
> a connector. But the fact that the screen freezes makes me think that
> the problem may be with the invertor or something.
>
> So, my first question is, does anyone know which component I should
> replace?
>
> I figure I is probably the LCD panel that is at fault so this is what
> I am preparing to replace. However, IBM lists three makes for the LCD
> panel these are:
> DBU 05K9398
> Hitachi 05K9346
> LG 05K9367
>
> So, my second question is, can I use any of these three LCD panels or
> do I have to get the exact same make as is currently in the laptop?
>
> -Jonathan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 3:48:59 AM

The 600(x) just had different LCD mfgr's but are all interchangeable - as long
as - they are the same size. If it's a 13.3", the replacement has to be a
13.3". Remove the LCD bezel and check the inverter first. You can run the
laptop with the bezel off, just dont poke at it with your fingers or anything
metal :)  Make sure the ribbon cables are secure. If you're able to get the
screen to work right by applying pressure to the inverter, it's probably the
connections. Inverters are fairly cheap, abt $15. LCD's for the 600 series are
running abt $75-$90. Replacement is fairly easy.

For 'dedicated and educated' Thinkpad help, look into ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad

TJ

Jonathan wrote:

> The type no. is 2645-4AU. Here is a description of the problem.
>
> Basically, there are four things the screen is doing as follows:
> 1) It goes very dark, but not completely off. When it does this I can
> still see a few pixel rows across the screen
> 2) It goes completely white.
> 3) It operates with distorted colors. Hard to describe in words, like
> the screen has some acid washing done to the colors. (A friend of mine
> actually thought I had changed the display settings to operate like
> this.) Also, There is a distinct transition exactly in the middle of
> the screen where the problem is noticeably worse on the left then the
> right half of the screen.
> 4) It will operate as in 3) but will be frozen. i.e. I can see the
> image but my mouse cursor won't move.
>
> Now, this is what I think is the key clue to the problem:
>
> When I press the left side of the screen from the rear the problems
> disappear, even the freezing. To be more specific, I press about
> 1-1/2" from the left edge, mid-way up the height of the screen.
> Basically I grab the left side of the screen and press my fingers on
> the back.
>
> Since the problems disappear when I press the screen, in the position
> that I described, it seems it might be a problem with the LCD panel or
> a connector. But the fact that the screen freezes makes me think that
> the problem may be with the invertor or something.
>
> So, my first question is, does anyone know which component I should
> replace?
>
> I figure I is probably the LCD panel that is at fault so this is what
> I am preparing to replace. However, IBM lists three makes for the LCD
> panel these are:
> DBU 05K9398
> Hitachi 05K9346
> LG 05K9367
>
> So, my second question is, can I use any of these three LCD panels or
> do I have to get the exact same make as is currently in the laptop?
>
> -Jonathan

I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 4:43:10 AM

Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:

> For 'dedicated and educated' Thinkpad help, look into
> ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad

The correct spelling of that is http://forum.thinkpads.com Teege! ;-)

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 6:09:14 AM

Well, I figured one of us would be 'just next door' for help :)  But I - was -
thinkin of you as the educated one!

teege

!