Good Choice after looking on Motherboard and RAM Manufacture list?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm upgrading my gaming system, I bought the Asus Gen3 Pro Board (socket 1155). I was going over the approved RAM list on the motherboard's website and saw few choices; I was leaning toward GSKILL and Corsair. I also checked Corsair's list and GSKILL. I also saw a earlier post that if it was between those 2 companies; go with Corsair.

Corsair choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233203&Tpk=CMX16GX3M4A1600C9

Would this clear the Cooler Master Hyper 212+?

GSKILL choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231404&Tpk=F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO

Cosair has 16GB kit 4x4GB and it's on the approved list on Corsair's site. I couldn't find the Asus Pro Gen3 board on GSKILL (says not found). I read in a earlier post that it's best to get a whole kit and not 2 kits. Is there a general rule concerning Latency and CAS? The higher the better? Lower is better? The Corsair kit CAS is 9.

G

just looking for the same brand and model isnt doin it...

problem: if you buy 2 separate kits, it can happen that 2 different sets of chips can be found.
(manufacturer switched brand/model of the chip and you happen to get one kit from the new and one from an older batch).
example: i can have two "identical" kits (make/model/speed), but the chips ONBOARD the module can be from different companys.

if you only gonna use "stock"-performacne no problem, but with OCing or tweaking timings/voltage, it can be a big factor.

to be safe: check for "matching" serial etc., since kits from the same batch are running similar numbers...

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Does it matter or is there a big difference since the kit of 4 sticks has CAS 9? GSKILL has CAS 8. I can buy the kit that has all 4 sticks for the same price as getting 2 kits from GSKILL.

I noticed my Corasair Ram is now out of stock. I see some have bought this:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

I'm wondering if I can get this kit. It's not on Asus or GSKill's RAM list though. It has the same voltage, timings though.