Computer wont power on.

DeadComp23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I'm new here and just registered to ask this question because I seem to have a major headache over this. I just replaced my old computer's case (Gateway SX2800 Micro-ATX) with another that supports my motherboard, and the difference is that the case is bigger and I can now install a PCI Express graphics card. I bought a new power supply that will fit in the new case (350W) and connected everything correctly. However after finishing the replacement, I got this error while the boot which displays text reading "CMOS Checksum Bad." I know what the problem was which is a CMOS Battery issue. This error never happened before by the way. I decided to make sure that it was a one time thing by powering off the PSU on and off, but the error still remains. So I tried resetting the battery by removing it for 3 minutes and then replacing it. After taking the battery out, the computer wouldn't power on at all. When I say power on I mean the switch doesn't glow, the fans don't move, nothing... Please help, I really need my computer to operate again.

pat

Expert
the motherboard is grounded somewhere to your new case. recheck your installation for misplaced mounting post or anything else that may contact with the motherboard where it is not supposed to contact. you may try it outside the case on a non conductive surface to ensure that you did not kill the motherboard..

DeadComp23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Well I tried replacing the motherboard back the original case and still didn't work. I really hope I didn't shock the board. I grounded myself before touching the battery by touching my power supply and chassis.

christianncg

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
hi, ill try to help the best i can. you said you replaced the battery. did you replace the battery with a new one, or the same one as before? the best thing you can do as of now is replace the old battery with a new one, if not already done. best of luck, and report your findings back.

DeadComp23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I didn't replace the battery but could the computer not turn on because of it? Other words, if the battery failed, does that mean the computer would power on at all without a new battery?

DeadComp23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks guys for all of your replies. Thanks christianncg for the reply. I checked everything and realized I forgot to put the BIOS RESET Jumper back in the 3 pin header slot. Thank you so much. But now there's another problem. When I use my computer and use any media, the CPU fan goes crazy. It's a new CPU fan cooler but randomly sometimes the temp of the CPU will go 48C to 78C fast and then it will go back to 48C again. I'm confused why this is happening. I got all drivers.

christianncg

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
hmm from what i know the temp readings are taken (at least with my old laptop) from a sensor on the fan itself. could be something caught between the cpu and the fan, or some bad thermal paste. or in my case, none at all :lol: but yeah, check for debris all around the cpu, in the socket, and between the cpu an fan. if your sure it isnt that, then you might have the same problem i had with my old pentium 3... psu fan wouldnt shut up after accidentally knocking off the temp sensor.

DeadComp23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

So what seems to be the problem? My sensor on the board is damaged or do you mean the sensor on the fan? I'm not sure. I may be a computer engineer, but this motherboard is weird. I don't feel like investing more money into this thing. I'm just a guy with normal needs to work. Sorry. Am I too cocky? :??: Sorry, but this computer is what I got. If it fails, it's time for plan "B." Buying a new computer :(

christianncg

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hmmm well i was just saying to check everything near the cpu fan. look for any type of dust bunnies or dirt in the fan itself, as well as the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink. chances are the problem is in the thermal paste. hope this explains things better.

christianncg

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
And also, resetting the bios to a certain degree might cause certain settings to corrupt, i.e. fan control. that might explain the checksum being bad during post. just a thought, chances are though your gonna have to deal with the loudness though. :/ .... at least it works. :)