Preview vs final photo

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 24, 2005 4:01:01 PM

Hello,

Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?

The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.

Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
pictures with same quality as on preview?

The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
after? How is it possible?

Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.

Regards
madz

More about : preview final photo

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:01:02 PM

madz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the
> button down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much
> different than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

Could "fuzzy" be from camera-shake, considering the low shutter speed you
mentioned?

David
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:01:02 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:01:01 +0200, madz <t@tt.tt> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
>sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
>down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
>than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
>What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
>shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
>
>The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
>for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
>Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
>pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
>The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
>after? How is it possible?
>
>Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.

It's generally impossible to judge
proper focus from the small LCD screen
on most digicams (and that includes
dSLRs as well.)

As for color and exposure, learn to use
the histogram tool, and shoot in RAW mode.
If the capture meets certain minimal
criteria, you should be able to fix up
the image in Photoshop afterwards.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
January 24, 2005 4:01:02 PM

madz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
> What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
> shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?

I wouldn't put much faith in the LCD display.. They are VERY low
resolution devices. How do these images look on your computer's monitor ?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words :-)

Could you post an image somewhere on the net and supply a link
to it ? (With full EXIF information). It would be much more useful
in determining what could be wrong.

> The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
> for my camera) ? in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
> Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
> pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
> The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
> after? How is it possible?
>
> Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
>
> Regards
> madz
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:01:02 PM

madz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
> What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
> shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
>
> The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
> for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
> Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
> pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
> The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
> after? How is it possible?
>
> Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
>
> Regards
> madz

Doubtless, you are experiencing camera shake at the long exposure times.
Prove it to yourself by putting the camera on a tripod and using the
self timer to trip the shutter.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:28:27 PM

Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
pixels when Your image has 3.9 million

Toomas

"madz" <t@tt.tt> wrote in message news:ct2kks$1ke4$1@news.eenet.ee...
> Hello,
>
> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.
>
> What is the problem? Why are pictures different before and after the
> shot, although the lens and image sensor are the same?
>
> The situation I described occurs mainly in low light condition (at least
> for my camera) – in room without flash, so the shutter speed is low etc.
>
> Is it possible that somehow overriding settings manually I could make
> pictures with same quality as on preview?
>
> The basic question is, why look picture better before the shot than
> after? How is it possible?
>
> Sorry about long letter. By the way, the camera is Olympus C-765UZ.
>
> Regards
> madz
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:32:49 PM

Toomas wrote:
> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
> lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>
> Toomas

Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.

Is it possible, that preview uses only a fraction of all pixels? I mean,
if the sensor resolution is 4 Mp, camera uses only 114 Kp for preview?

Regards
madz
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:32:50 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:32:49 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <t@tt.tt>
wrote:

>Toomas wrote:
>> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
>> lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
>> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>>
>> Toomas
>
>Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
>Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.

I don't believe what you are seeing is the exact same exposure info before
the shot vs. after. The brightness of the image is being boosted by longer
exposure, greater sensitivity or boosted brightness after the fact, so you
can se the image before you shoot. The fact the image is too dark is
telling you the aperture is wide enough and/or the shutter speed isn't long
enough for the conditions you are trying to shoot. Given this, I suspect
your fuzzy images are due to motion blur caused by the all ready slow
shutter speeds. What are the aperture and shutter speeds of the images?
What is the max aperture of the camera?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 25, 2005 10:16:48 PM

madz wrote:
> Toomas wrote:
>
>> Because resolution of LCD in camera is much lower than final picture.
>> LCD has only 114 000
>> pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>>
>> Toomas
>

> Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
> Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.
>
> Is it possible, that preview uses only a fraction of all pixels? I mean,
> if the sensor resolution is 4 Mp, camera uses only 114 Kp for preview?
>
> Regards
> madz
LCDs aren't high res. Most of them are well under 1mp.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Yes, it is true that shutter speed is too low in these conditions (>1/5
at ISO 100 and f/2.8 (max)). It is too hard to have good results with
the settings in low light, that part I understand.

If camera is using greater sensitivity etc for preview, then why it is
not using these settings for taking real pictures in fully automatic mode?

Perhaps it uses different approach for preview (webcam style) and for
taking pictures?

Regards
madz

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:32:49 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <t@tt.tt>
> wrote:
>

>>Toomas wrote:
>>
>>>Because resolution of LCD in camera is much
>>>lower than final picture. LCD has only 114 000
>>>pixels when Your image has 3.9 million
>>>
>>>Toomas
>>
>>Actually I mean, in both cases I look the picture on LCD of my camera.
>>Before shot, picture is OK, after NG.
>

> I don't believe what you are seeing is the exact same exposure info before
> the shot vs. after. The brightness of the image is being boosted by longer
> exposure, greater sensitivity or boosted brightness after the fact, so you
> can se the image before you shoot. The fact the image is too dark is
> telling you the aperture is wide enough and/or the shutter speed isn't long
> enough for the conditions you are trying to shoot. Given this, I suspect
> your fuzzy images are due to motion blur caused by the all ready slow
> shutter speeds. What are the aperture and shutter speeds of the images?
> What is the max aperture of the camera?
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:09:41 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:38:15 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <t@tt.tt>
wrote:

>Yes, it is true that shutter speed is too low in these conditions (>1/5
>at ISO 100 and f/2.8 (max)). It is too hard to have good results with
>the settings in low light, that part I understand.
>
>If camera is using greater sensitivity etc for preview, then why it is
>not using these settings for taking real pictures in fully automatic mode?
>
>Perhaps it uses different approach for preview (webcam style) and for
>taking pictures?

Now you have it. It's just boosting the brightness of the image set to the
LCD. You're going to have to increase ISO yourself to take shots here with
faster shutter speeds. Better to do this manually than to rely on autoiso
if your camera has that capability.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 27, 2005 9:52:08 AM

I have a slightly different question. I took pictures on a cruise ship.
The sea was really blue, both by naked eye and on the LCD preview. But
when I took the pic, the LCD shows that it's not quite blue and rather
green. Why? do I need a filter? This is an Olympus 730.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:16:43 PM

Okey, thanks Ed.

madz

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:38:15 +0200, in rec.photo.digital madz <t@tt.tt>
> wrote:
>
> Now you have it. It's just boosting the brightness of the image set to the
> LCD. You're going to have to increase ISO yourself to take shots here with
> faster shutter speeds. Better to do this manually than to rely on autoiso
> if your camera has that capability.
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:04:29 AM

> Situation is as follows: object is in focus, focus locked, picture is
> sharp with bright colors on the monitor of my camera; I push the button
> down, take the picture, and the picture I see now is so much different
> than before the shot, its fuzzy, colors out of balance etc.

The fuzziness could come from having too low a shutter speed.

-Joel