Sign in with
Your question

Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2010 9:19:37 PM

Hey Guys,

I am in need of a new monitor, the use will primarily be for gaming and secondly web browsing etc. I need to know if because I have a mini display port connection on my GPU, would a straight to DVI-D connection be sufficient, or, would buying a mini display port to HDMI converter provide me with a sharper image?!

I currently only have an Eizo 17" with a DVI-D connection, and although the picture quality is great, obviously I need a bigger display. And also, is there a big difference between 5ms response and 2ms respone time, to the extent that there is more ghosting on one than the other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!

More about : monitors

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 30, 2010 11:19:29 PM

Display port is plenty good enough in terms of visual quality, but you may have trouble finding a good monitor with display port at a reasonable price.

higher response time means more ghosting, but they like to mislead people with false numbers (monitors are some of the worst products for this). If the response time is GTG (grey to grey) then its actually much higher when measured properly (WTW or BTB).
5ms is the maximum response time you want, but if its gtg its actually going to be too high. you either want 2ms gtg or 5ms wtw/btb.

October 30, 2010 11:43:20 PM

Thanks for the info, so in your opinion I don't need to bother with HDMI? All I need is a good monitor with a DVI-D port and good grey to grey response time?

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 31, 2010 12:18:14 AM

exactly.

2ms at the minimum (though 5ms is fine if its btb/wtw)
October 31, 2010 1:41:45 PM

Thanks very much for all your advice, let the hunting begin!!!

Thanks, and by the way, how do you flag any question as solved? I have had several queries solved in my time on this forum, but have no idea how to do it?!

Thanks again!!!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2010 4:13:53 AM

there's a select best answer button you would see on the posts above. thought its only there for certain thread types, which i am not sure if this is. the mods usually lose the threads when they are solved anyway.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2010 4:18:00 AM

edifice said:
Thanks very much for all your advice, let the hunting begin!!!

Thanks, and by the way, how do you flag any question as solved? I have had several queries solved in my time on this forum, but have no idea how to do it?!

Thanks again!!!

You started this thread as a discussion not a question so you can't select a "best answer" which would mark it as "solved".
!