vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
i want to upgrade by cpu as its bottlenecking my gpu i have narrowed down to two cpus i have trouble chosing between them Intel Core i5-760 2.80GHz quad core or the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Processor 3.2GHz i have a nvidea gtx 460 my current cpu eats dirt i hear that nv performs better with intel but will the 6 cored amd be better?

Solution
OMG, the 2500k is probably the best overclocking processor on the market. 4.5-5GHz is easily attainable with just a multiplier change and aftermarket HSF. Believe me, a 5GHz OC'd SB processor (2500k/2600k) will absolutely destroy a 1090t unmercifully. If you are truly worried about future proofing you might as well go with the leading edge of the next generation....
Don't bother for a hexa core if gaming is your primary concern.. As for your video card, even a Phenom II X4 955 will be sufficient.. Which CPU do you have currently..? Have you tried overclocking it..? As pointed out by welshmousep, we need your complete system specs..

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
ok i have a gtx 460 and a 5 yr old core 2 duo @1.8 ghz ... the i5 2500k is not aviliable here as of now though the 2300 is i wont be upgrading for a long time after this so which is why i wanted to go in for the hexacore to help my pc stand the test of time for a while so the i5 750 or the i5 2300 or amd phenom II X6??

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

a gtx 460
cooler master 600w earthwatts psu
1.5 gb of ram
1.8 ghz c2d
1024*768 monitor my budget dosent transalate well into $ as thigs cost diffrently here

emergancy exit

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
for longevity i would get either a phenom2x4 or a core i3.

reason being is that #1 your monitor resolution is very low so you do not need a crazy powerfull cpu (asuming you are just gaming with your computer)

#2 amd is switching socket types soon and in a year or so intel will also. if you jump streight to phenomx6 that is the max your motherboard can handle you are back in square1 again. if you get the lower end card you can put in a core i7 for cheap later down the road or a phenomx6 (depending on if you decide to go with amd or intel)

if at all possible i would look for a core2 quad q66 that will save you $$ on not having to buy another motherboard and you can buy either a new monitor or more ram with that money instead.

intel vs amd with your specs if your ram is ddr2 amd if your ram is ddr3 intel. (i do not believe any of the new itel motherboards use ddr2 anymore?)

A 4 year prediction in tech field and especially PC industry is IMO not possible.. However, judging by the fact that games have very recently started using quad cores efficiently, you should be fine uptil 2013 for sure.. Your gaming longevity will depend on the video card more than the CPU for sure.. In other words, your video card will most probably require replacement(s) before your (i5 760) CPU does..

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
agreed and actually ive been seeing bencehes and going through some other fourms and everyone reccommends the amd phenom II X6 1090t i plan to sli after 1.5 years and im afraid the i5 might bottleneck it and also i will updrade after 3 years and would be nice if just had to upgrade the gpu alone so which is why im currently in favour of the hexacore and it dosent matter if amd changes sockets the cpu has to be good

and the hexacore has been winning over the i5 in many benches and i do do a bit of
photoshop now and then

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
but as of now the i5 2500k is not available in my area i dont know how long will it take to get here either
so in my case what to do now wait out for the i5 2500k or buy the X6

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
OMG, the 2500k is probably the best overclocking processor on the market. 4.5-5GHz is easily attainable with just a multiplier change and aftermarket HSF. Believe me, a 5GHz OC'd SB processor (2500k/2600k) will absolutely destroy a 1090t unmercifully. If you are truly worried about future proofing you might as well go with the leading edge of the next generation....

Solution