New cameras from Canon?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 24, 2005 10:26:33 AM

Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?
Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.

Thanks

More about : cameras canon

January 24, 2005 11:21:39 AM

In article <aoadnf2E1c7sb2ncRVn-hg@comcast.com>, CharlieA@comcast.net says...
> I just want a camera that works.

Almost everything on the market "works"..

What you seem to be waiting for is a camera designed to fit EXACTLY to YOUR
needs.

You'll probably be waiting for a VERY long time.

Canon makes some fine digital cameras, good enough for a LOT of proffesionals
who depend on their cameras for their food, shelter, and expenses.

Excellent cameras also come from Minolta, Nikon, et. al.

If they are NOT good enough for you you should stick with film until you cant
get film any more (probably, none of us will live to see this).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:04:46 -0600, "Charlie" <CharlieA@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I just want a camera that works.

Plenty of those around already. Even
Stacey's found one.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:06:24 PM

"Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks."

You should expect to wait another 10 years before full frame dSLR
sensors enable sub $2000 dSLRs (if ever).
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:50:11 PM

hoppy wrote:
> Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?
> Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.
>
> Thanks

If they did that, there would be no market for their huge selection of
lesser cameras. Baaaaad business!
Even then, you would probably want to wait until they came out with a
32MP full frame, reasonably priced camera.
I'm waiting for a new Lexus 430 to break the $20K barrier ;-)
Bob Williams
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:31:24 PM

"hoppy" <hoppy@msn.net> wrote in news:ZP5Jd.1$mr4.0@bos-
service2.ext.ray.com:

> Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?

None.

> Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.

<shrug> If you hold your breath, you'll just pass out a lot.

There isn't the slightest hint this will happen in the next five years.
Canon likes the three-tired setup they've got, and Nikon likes the 1.5,
period.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:15:01 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:31:24 GMT, Eric Gill <ericvgill@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"hoppy" <hoppy@msn.net> wrote in news:ZP5Jd.1$mr4.0@bos-
>service2.ext.ray.com:
>
>> Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?

all vaporware so far ...
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:24:16 PM

Charlie wrote:
> I just want a camera that works.

Having a lot of operator error are you???

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:49:10 PM

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> In article <aoadnf2E1c7sb2ncRVn-hg@comcast.com>, CharlieA@comcast.net
> says...
>> I just want a camera that works.
>>

> Almost everything on the market "works"..
>
> What you seem to be waiting for is a camera designed to fit EXACTLY to
> YOUR
> needs.
>

> You'll probably be waiting for a VERY long time.
>
> Canon makes some fine digital cameras, good enough for a LOT of
> proffesionals
> who depend on their cameras for their food, shelter, and expenses.
>
> Excellent cameras also come from Minolta, Nikon, et. al.
>
> If they are NOT good enough for you you should stick with film until you
> cant
> get film any more (probably, none of us will live to see this).
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

Maybe Charlie should have been more specific. He, and I, want a camera that
has a flash system that works as advertised, rather than having to work
around its shortcomings, or buy a non Canon flash that does work.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"hoppy" <hoppy@msn.net> wrote in message
> Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?
> Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.
>
> Thanks

If by "affordable", you mean under 2 grand, it's not gonna happen for a long
time. Currently their only full-frame DSLR retails for $8k, and a 1.3x crop
retails for about $4.5k. Hoping isnt' gonna make it happen. Besides, they
introduced the EF-S mount on the 20D, which would appear to be a big hint
that they don't plan on changing the sensor size in the 20D class for quite
a while.

Mark
January 24, 2005 10:08:46 PM

In article <SPfJd.990$5t.795@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net says...
> "Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> > In article <aoadnf2E1c7sb2ncRVn-hg@comcast.com>, CharlieA@comcast.net
> > says...
> >> I just want a camera that works.
> >>

> > Almost everything on the market "works"..
> >
> > What you seem to be waiting for is a camera designed to fit EXACTLY to
> > YOUR
> > needs.
> >

> > You'll probably be waiting for a VERY long time.
> >
> > Canon makes some fine digital cameras, good enough for a LOT of
> > proffesionals
> > who depend on their cameras for their food, shelter, and expenses.
> >
> > Excellent cameras also come from Minolta, Nikon, et. al.
> >
> > If they are NOT good enough for you you should stick with film until you
> > cant
> > get film any more (probably, none of us will live to see this).
> >

> > --
> > Larry Lynch
> > Mystic, Ct.
>
> Maybe Charlie should have been more specific. He, and I, want a camera that
> has a flash system that works as advertised, rather than having to work
> around its shortcomings, or buy a non Canon flash that does work.

I dont even have a DSLR yet, but I figured out a LONG time ago, if you want
flash to work reliably, manual is best, and everything else is second best.

Auto flash units, even ttl flash units designed for the particular camera,
are nice and can help in some situations, but they are not smarter than the
photographer (hopefully), only the photographer knows exactly which part of
the shot he wants to light, and which way he wants to light it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

You might have a long wait for a full frame camera in anything like consumer
pricing, but by PMA (end of Feb) you will know Canon's line up for the
spring and summer. I would doubt anything too startling come fall in the way
of full frame as that is not exactly the Christmas market.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"hoppy" <hoppy@msn.net> wrote in message
> Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?
> Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.
>
> Thanks

January 25, 2005 2:25:09 AM

That's nothing I'm waiting for it to go under 15K!

--

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> hoppy wrote:
> > Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?
> > Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> If they did that, there would be no market for their huge selection of
> lesser cameras. Baaaaad business!
> Even then, you would probably want to wait until they came out with a
> 32MP full frame, reasonably priced camera.
> I'm waiting for a new Lexus 430 to break the $20K barrier ;-)
> Bob Williams

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:40:13 PM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> You might have a long wait for a full frame camera in anything like
consumer
> pricing,

Agreed.

> but by PMA (end of Feb) you will know Canon's line up for the
> spring and summer. I would doubt anything too startling come fall in the
way
> of full frame as that is not exactly the Christmas market.

Agreed, again. The only thing that really makes sense for Canon this year is
a new version of the Rebel, which is getting a tad long in tooth. There's
really no competition for the 20D, 1Dmk2, and 1Dsmk2 right now, but the D70
makes the Rebel look more than a tad wimpy.

My calculation is as follows. The chip in the Rebel must cost Canon between
$100 and $200. The 36 x 49mm chip in the US$10,000 medium format backs must
cost about US$5,000. So a full-frame chip should cost, today, something like
the geometric mean between either 100 and 5000 (for optimists), or 200 and
10,000 (for pessimists). So that's between $700 and $1500 for a full frame
chip.

Alternatively, the geometric mean between the $900 Rebel and $10,000 MF back
is US$3,000. So the expected price of an all-up full-frame body is on the
order of US$3000.

As I've said before, (assuming the 1Dsmk2 provides 20D or better per-pixel
image quality), about a year from now, the market for US$8000 cameras is
going to be saturated. At the same time, Canon is going to have gotten the
sensor fab line debugged and tweaked and will be seeing higher yields than
they are seeing today. So they're going to need a relatively mass-market
full-frame body to get mileage out of those chips.

I think the noise levels in the 1Ds precluded doing that with that chip, and
they probably also realized that 11MP wouldn't look all that much better
than the 20D's 8MP. But 16MP is pretty amazing: 11x14s at 300 dpi, 13x19s at
250 dpi, and 16x24s at 200 dpi. And since the pixel spacing is larger than
the 20D, many of the better Canon lenses will have no trouble providing
equivalent quality images at the pixel level.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:07:00 AM

hoppy wrote:

> Any good or reliable rumors of new digital SLRs from Canon?
> Waiting for that affordable full size sensor SLR like a lot of folks.

Doesn't look like a low-priced full frame sensor is in the cards any
time soon. The hope was that the 20D would have the 1.3 crop factor
sensor, but no dice.

It is almost a certainty that there will be something introduced between
the 20D and the 300D, in the $900-1000 price range, to compete against
the D70, but it will have a 1.6 crop factor sensor.

As soon as you buy a 20D, or a 300D, you'll start craving the 10-22 EF-S
lens, which is about $725 in the U.S..

While it's cool to be able to use my older EOS lenses on the 20D, I miss
the wide angle, since the 20-35 becomes 32-56, and the 18-55 is 29-88.

I probably should have bought the body-only, and saved that $75 for the
10-22. I almost considered (gasp) the Sigma 12-24 because it would also
work on my film EOS camera (the Canon 10-22 won't), until I saw the
comparison at
"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-..."
and saw how awful it was.
!