Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sound card vs onboard audio - which is better

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2011 9:40:25 AM

Sound card vs onboard audio - which is better

I bought a Creative Labs SB0570L4 Sound Blaster Audigy SE Sound Card for my M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 MOBO with onboard ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC. my thinking was it will free up the processor. which one is better. tks :??: 

Best solution

March 24, 2011 9:46:26 AM

Nope imo you shouldnt have spent money on something that is inferior to the one provided by your motherboard...

and tech wise here we go

Soundcard -

Product Features
7.1 surround output
24-bit/96kHz audio resolution
100dB signal to noise ratio
EAX ADVANCED HD 3.0 support for gaming
CMSS up-mixes stereo content to 7.1 surround

Motherboard Chipset -

ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- BD Audio Layer Content Protection
- Support 192khz/24bit True BD Lossless Sound
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise Filter

As you can see there is no match, Realtek Chipset being better...
March 24, 2011 9:53:07 AM

Creative Labs Soundblaster SE has no drivers for Windows 7 and if 'workable' drivers are available the EAX console would not be available at all. The EAX console is esentially the sound control panel or sound adjustment software. Do not use a sound card designed years ago during the XP era with Windows 7. Non use of the onboard soundchip and installing a third party sound card has nothing to do with freeing up the CPU.
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2011 10:12:34 AM

the only way to free up cpu usage with a sound card is if the card processes in hardware, and that 1 doesn't.
you have to go xtreme gamer or above in the creative range to get on card, off motherboard hardware processing.
even then it only works if the program specifically uses it.
if you play games like crysis you will notice that some companies crytek use there own propitiatory sound engines which nullifies even the best sound card benefits.

badge has made a small mistake in that the Audigy SE is actually supported in win7
its just not listed in the requirements. you have to go to its driver support page.
but still its actually not gonna do what you hoped it would and thats free up cpu usage.

m
l
March 24, 2011 10:37:20 AM

I would choose a quality dedicated sound-card over the integrated any day with the few rare exceptions where good sound chips are integrated, like some of Asus ROG motherboard series . If you use a poor quality sound system it wont matter how good the source is and in that case its a complete waste to get a quality one.

The integrated nowadays sure boasts impressive SNR ect, but what about dynamics and precision of the DA converters along with all the features like sound shaping through EAX that the X-fi series offers.
m
l
March 24, 2011 11:02:12 AM

there not available on the model he has so its a moot point. the only real benefits that that card had were when motherboard came with 2.1 or 5.1 as standard, in that it does 7.1 but little else...
m
l
March 24, 2011 12:12:03 PM

Yep! as already mentioned i doubt using an old entry level soundcard will provide any benefits over your onboard.
If you had an AUDIGY 2 SE it would be different.
You have a 16bit 1st gen Audigy.
m
l
March 24, 2011 5:31:26 PM

Best answer selected by Donald92382.
m
l
!