PSU/Motherboard Connectors

bigbubba139

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I'm having an issue dealing with the PSU. Currently I've put together an HTPC for the family room with Windows 7 professional and don't have the right amount of connectors coming from the PSU to the motherboard. I'm using the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Motherboard and the SeaSonic SS-300TFX 300W PSU together. Everything fits nicely except when I connect the power pins to the motherboard. The PSU offers both a 24 pin and 4 pin connector to power the CPU (AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz) and rest of the PC. However, the issue I'm having is that instead of a 4 pin connector I need 8 pins.

My question is will I be able to run just 4 pins in the 8 pin connector without any issues? I'd like to know because the case I have is very small and adding more cables to the inside is going to be very difficult. I've already ran the system for 24 hours and have seen no instability (while installing the OS and other software). As far as I know both connectors are on two separate rails so they can supply enough power and the other 4 unused pins are just a "ground".

With all the research I've done on this issue I'd really like to get a few opinions here because I'm getting half of the people saying don't do it because it will burn out the pins, melt them, whatever, and the other half saying that I shouldn't have any issues.

Finally, you should know that I can't get another PSU, case or anything. I want to know if the voltage supplied from the PSU to the 8 pins (through 4 pins) will continue to work all the time without issues. Below are full system specs.

--System Specs--

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H (using on-board graphics and sound)
AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz
SeaSonic SS-300TFX 300W PSU
Hauppauge 2250
Rosewill RNX-G300LX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card
Lite-On 4x Blu-ray Drive
Western Digital 500GB Green Drive
G.Skill 2GB (2, 1GB Sticks)
hec Black 0.7mm Thickness SECC Steel 7K09BBA30FNRX Micro ATX Media Center 300W Power Supply / HTPC Case
Windows 7 Professional x86