New build crashing randomly

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but this is a new build and I couldn't find a better section to post it in. I don't know if this is a software, driver or hardware issue. You can see my build here or here.

The machine is randomly crashing while unattended and then when it boots back into windows (Win7 Pro, x64). I have some memory dump files but I do not know how to open them and I'm sure I wouldn't know how to understand them either. For about the 1 week it has been built it has done this at least 3 times.

I don't really know where to start trouble shooting this since I can't read the dump files and whenever this happens no one is watching the computer. I want to quickly access if this is hardware or not because I want to send in the MIR asap. So any help would be appreciated.

Finally, if I posted in the incorrect section, could someone please direct me to the correct on.

Thanks

P.S. I tried running memtest86 but it would freeze up before it could run (it would boot up and everything but wouldn't run). The disc was burned and verified with the iso using imgburn

cmi86

Distinguished
I would take a quick trip through the BIOS and make sure everything looks ok. If that checks out it would start looking at hardware, possibly a faulty power supply. Also the os, does it say windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown when u get back ??

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

I'll look over the BIOS as soon as I can and yes, in the ~2 weeks i've owned this it has only crashed 3 times during the first week and it does say that windows has recovered from a crash once it boots.

Considering that you aren't able to run MT86+, I'd venture to say you do have a hardware problem. Before the OS loads, the only "software" is the BIOS, but you're not having trouble their. Try removing all but one stick. Now boot the system with the MT86+ disc still in. If you freeze before the testing begins, shut down and move the one RAM stick to another DIMM slot. Keep doing this until:

A. You've successfully booted MT86+; or
B. You've tried every stick in every slot, in which case its clear you've got bad RAM.

banthracis

Distinguished
Go through the no boot sticky to double check wiring.

RAM as mentioned is most likely. However, could also be a bad mobo or PSU.

If you can't get Memtest running then start testing individual components. Either use the part in a known working PC, or get a known working part to replace it in your PC.

RAM, PSU should probably be swapped first since they're easier to do, then Mobo.

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Should I be using memtest86 or memtest86+ ? Also, I don't have access to the computer atm because I just shipped it from home to school yesterday but i'll let you folks know as soon as I get *any* result.

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Just got my computer up and running yesterday. There are some new issues but that shouldn't affect this reboot issue (UPS messed up the box and so some components of the case are broken and a latch on a SATA cable broke, luckily it seems everything is working).

I quickly checked the BIOS and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary however, there is a bunch of ASUS jargon in it that I didn't know so I could take a closer look...

I left MT86+ working yesterday while I was at work. When I got back, it did 4 passes and was working on a 5th and there was zero errors. This was with all three sticks inside the computer.

I don't know where I can easily get a spare PSU or MOBO to trouble shoot those.

I really wonder if these was just some kind of hiccup when I first built this machine as I am yet to see another random reboot...