5870 not being read

Status
Not open for further replies.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hello toms I have 2 5870's and when i plug them into pci slots device manager does not see them. The fans are running but thats it. Ant thoughts??

Solution
Clear CMOS and load BIOS defaults. Make only one change to BIOS before saving - disable integrated graphics.

To clear CMOS, turn off psu and pull plug from wall . . . remove the battery from the motherboard . . . press the case power button a few times (to discharge psu) . . . wait 5 minutes . . . put battery back in . . . plug psu in and turn it on. Power up and go straight to BIOS.
So just to understand . . . you have no graphics adapters showing in Device Manager . . . and yet you must have a screen display in order to notice that. What resolution is your screen currently using?

Did you install the drivers for the 5870?

Did the 5870s replace some other graphics card?

Is this a new build? And please tell us the rest of your configuration.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Hi it is a rebuild with a new hard drive. its running at vga adaptor. have it plugged into hdmi on mobo. Have not installed drivers because i have a new hard drive in it. This is a rebuild from a water build.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I dont remember having to change in bios. Just installed ccc on and windows and now I am getting 1920x1080 on resolution , but still does not see 5870. Might you know where in the bios that might be?

Back to basics - is your monitor connected to a 5870?

Are the two 5870s connected by the Crossfire cable?

In BIOS, there will be a section called "Onboard peripherals" or something like that (varies by mfg). Since your board has integrated graphics, somewhere it must have an option as to which graphics to use. You want PCIe.

Clear CMOS and load BIOS defaults. Make only one change to BIOS before saving - disable integrated graphics.

To clear CMOS, turn off psu and pull plug from wall . . . remove the battery from the motherboard . . . press the case power button a few times (to discharge psu) . . . wait 5 minutes . . . put battery back in . . . plug psu in and turn it on. Power up and go straight to BIOS.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.