Laptops and more HD's

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 20, 2005 1:02:30 AM

Hello All,
I have been looking for a laptop and I want on with more than one
HD.

Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
most of them now can you swap out the drives.
I want to run two OS's. "Linux and Windows"...

Thanks

Kerry Rogers

More about : laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 3:11:48 AM

You only need one hard drive too use more than one OS. Just partition the
drive correctly, and you will save money.

Dan

Kerry wrote:
> Hello All,
> I have been looking for a laptop and I want on with more than one
> HD.
>
> Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
> most of them now can you swap out the drives.
> I want to run two OS's. "Linux and Windows"...
>

> Thanks
>
> Kerry Rogers
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 1:18:04 PM

"Kerry" <KerryRogers@softhome.net> wrote:
> Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
> most of them now can you swap out the drives.

The Latitude D600 (and, AFAICT, any of the modern machines that use
the D-Bay peripherals) can boot off a D-Bay "secondary hard drive". I
boot (DOS) Ghost to image my system drive with no problem. It even
works in several of my clients machines, so I can back them up before
making major changes.

Hit F12 during POST and you'll get a boot menu including all possible
boot devices, including network and USB (memory key).

[FWIW, I'd much prefer multiple removable devices for multiple OSes,
as it'd reduce the confusion...]
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 2:43:49 PM

"Kerry" <KerryRogers@softhome.net> wrote:
> most of them now can you swap out the drives.

This is pretty machine-dependent, some of them are pretty easy to
swap, some require significant disassembly. You may need/want another
drive tray if you are going to swap them a lot.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 20, 2005 6:36:10 PM

What you literally want does not exist, but you can install any number
of different operating systems on a single hard drive, in separate
partitions. Microsoft supports installing 2 operating systems, for more
than two, you either need to know how to edit the Microsoft startup
files manually or (and probably better) you need to use a 3rd party boot
utility.

Kerry wrote:

> Hello All,
> I have been looking for a laptop and I want on with more than one
> HD.
>
> Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
> most of them now can you swap out the drives.
> I want to run two OS's. "Linux and Windows"...
>

> Thanks
>
> Kerry Rogers

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 1:05:14 AM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:11:48 -0600, Angry American wrote:
> You only need one hard drive too use more than one OS. Just partition the
> drive correctly, and you will save money.
>
> Dan
>
> Kerry wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I have been looking for a laptop and I want on with more than one
>> HD.
>>
>> Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
>> most of them now can you swap out the drives.
>> I want to run two OS's. "Linux and Windows"...

Defragment Windows, resize (easier with VFAT than NTFS), and partition
into three partitions, say 40% Windows, 55% linux, and a linux swap
partition, using fdisk.

In a single HD, that would be /dev/hda1 (Windows), /dev/hda2,
(Linux), and /dev/hda3 (LSwap). Now boot with the Linux CD (usually
1st), and format /dev/hda2 as a Linux system (ext2, ext3, or other),
and install Linux on it, formatting /dev/hda3 as linux swap.

--
greymaus
97.025% of statistics are wrong

greymaus@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:11:48 -0600, Angry American wrote:
>> You only need one hard drive too use more than one OS. Just partition the
>> drive correctly, and you will save money.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> Kerry wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>> I have been looking for a laptop and I want on with more than one
>>> HD.
>>>
>>> Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
>>> most of them now can you swap out the drives.
>>> I want to run two OS's. "Linux and Windows"...
>>>

> Defragment Windows, resize (easier with VFAT than NTFS), and partition
> into three partitions, say 40% Windows, 55% linux, and a linux swap
> partition, using fdisk.
>

> In a single HD, that would be /dev/hda1 (Windows), /dev/hda2,
> (Linux), and /dev/hda3 (LSwap). Now boot with the Linux CD (usually
> 1st), and format /dev/hda2 as a Linux system (ext2, ext3, or other),
> and install Linux on it, formatting /dev/hda3 as linux swap.

dude, you don't need two HD's. just dual boot. i have winXP and Suse 9.2 on
the same HD. using GRUB, i can select which OS to boot at boot time.

FIRST, make sure you have at LEAST 2 partitions on your drive(C: and D:) ,
then install Windows First, install Linux SECOND on the other partition. if
you install Linux first, Monopoly$oft will overwrite your MBR and you won't
be able to boot Linux. if you install Linux SECOND, then Linux will
install a boot manager (either LILO or GBUB) and this will give you a menu
to select at boot time which OS you want to boot into. as long as you have
at least a 20GB HD, you don't need two HD. also, better to have 3
partitions, because then you can format one of them FAT32 and both Linux
and WinXP can read/write to it. you can use it to store files that both
OS's can 'see'.

currrently, Linux cannot write to NTFS and windows cannot read/write to any
Linux filesystem. (ext3, reiserFS, etc)

with dual boot, its easy to get the best of both worlds and to migrate
gradually to linux (as you will want to do, eventually, ((:

i recommend SUSE 9.2 for newbies. it pretty much works out of the box.

---redpill
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 12:18:18 PM

RedpIll wrote:

> greymaus@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:11:48 -0600, Angry American wrote:
>>> You only need one hard drive too use more than one OS. Just partition
>>> the drive correctly, and you will save money.
>>>
>>> Dan

>> Defragment Windows, resize (easier with VFAT than NTFS), and partition
>> into three partitions, say 40% Windows, 55% linux, and a linux swap
>> partition, using fdisk.
>>

>> In a single HD, that would be /dev/hda1 (Windows), /dev/hda2,
>> (Linux), and /dev/hda3 (LSwap). Now boot with the Linux CD (usually
>> 1st), and format /dev/hda2 as a Linux system (ext2, ext3, or other),
>> and install Linux on it, formatting /dev/hda3 as linux swap.
>>

> dude, you don't need two HD's. just dual boot. i have winXP and Suse 9.2
> on the same HD. using GRUB, i can select which OS to boot at boot time.
>
> FIRST, make sure you have at LEAST 2 partitions on your drive(C: and D:) ,
> then install Windows First, install Linux SECOND on the other partition.
> if you install Linux first, Monopoly$oft will overwrite your MBR and you
> won't
> be able to boot Linux. if you install Linux SECOND, then Linux will
> install a boot manager (either LILO or GBUB) and this will give you a menu
> to select at boot time which OS you want to boot into. as long as you have
> at least a 20GB HD, you don't need two HD. also, better to have 3
> partitions, because then you can format one of them FAT32 and both Linux
> and WinXP can read/write to it. you can use it to store files that both
> OS's can 'see'.
>
> currrently, Linux cannot write to NTFS and windows cannot read/write to
> any Linux filesystem. (ext3, reiserFS, etc)

There is limited write support for NTFS available in the 2.6 kernel.

"Ext2fsd" is a GPL utility for Windows that gives read/write support for
ext2fs under Windows--there's a $30 commercial application called "Paragon
ext2fsanywhere" that provides read/write support for ext2 and ext3.
There's a utility that allows Reiserfs to be read from Windows but not
written. There may be one that allows XFS to be accessed read/write from
Windows but it's a more involved search than I have time for at the moment.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On 19 Feb 2005 22:02:30 -0800, "Kerry" <KerryRogers@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Hello All,
> I have been looking for a laptop and I want on with more than one
>HD.
>
> Do any of you know of a loptop with more than one hard drive or with
> most of them now can you swap out the drives.
> I want to run two OS's. "Linux and Windows"...

IBM Thinkpads have been doing that for years - you can add a 2nd
drive to the internal bay and boot from either one by selecting which
in the BIOS.
Emanuel
!